Find results in...

***⛑ Coronavirus Thread***

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, let’s try to keep political views at a minimum. Several of you have made it very clear where you stand on the political spectrum. This thread should be for discussion about COVID, not for campai

Media-driven. I'm going to continue my day to day just as I always have. Simple hygiene as we're supposed to do anyway goes far against catching anything. Frankly, I'm more worried about catching the

Posted Images

On 6/24/2020 at 10:49 AM, Aaron Carrara said:

Mike, how did it effect you?  Did it knock you on your ass?  Glad to hear you are doing ok now.  

Severe fatigue for about a week. Body aches, felt like bronchitis in the lungs. Could not taste or smell food.  Took several weeks to recover... It was not fun.

4 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Severe fatigue for about a week. Body aches, felt like bronchitis in the lungs. Could not taste or smell food.  Took several weeks to recover... It was not fun.

Sounds just like old age. Recovery is different though. 

Wife had it, back in March. We were actually in Paris, after coming from Spain, right when the shit hit the fan over there. Once the travel bad kicked. We stayed a few days after the travel ban, since we had an AirBNB versus Hotel. This way we isolated and missed the craziness of the first 2 days of the travel ban. Still, the plane was pretty crowded which made us more vulnerable. 

Wife pretty much felt the same as @mbhornsfan said. A month later her aunt got it, she is up in Maryland. She, being older (68), got hit really hard by it. She had to be put on a ventilator in ICU. She did recover, but she still has some major issues with her lungs almost 2 months later.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, HornEsch said:

Wife had it, back in March. We were actually in Paris, after coming from Spain, right when the shit hit the fan over there. Once the travel bad kicked. We stayed a few days after the travel ban, since we had an AirBNB versus Hotel. This way we isolated and missed the craziness of the first 2 days of the travel ban. Still, the plane was pretty crowded which made us more vulnerable. 

Wife pretty much felt the same as @mbhornsfan said. A month later her aunt got it, she is up in Maryland. She, being older (68), got hit really hard by it. She had to be put on a ventilator in ICU. She did recover, but she still has some major issues with her lungs almost 2 months later.

Dang dude, sorry to hear but glad your wife and her aunt are well.  We play it all pretty safe and don't dine out and don't take any trips outside the home that we don't have to.  This stuff is really nasty and I don't want my 8 month old or my other kiddos to get it.  

3 hours ago, Bear19 said:

Every time they list a new risk factor, I’ve got it.

Stay safe. I had a Kidney Transplant so on immunosuppressants myself. It was amazing that I did not catch it when my wife did. Granted I spent those few weeks in a different room and she quarantined within the house, but still.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, Aaron Carrara said:

And most of you have heard by now, but Texas is in pretty bad shape with respect to hospital beds.  Houston is supposed to reach capacity at the end of this week, and Dallas is slightly behind.  Stay safe and wear a mask if you go out.  

This is not true.

1 hour ago, Captain Hookem said:

Serious question: Is there any place that tracks hospitalization capacity overall? Preferably a system that existed prior to covid and the politics around it (theoretically providing a trustworthy baseline).

The Texas Tribune has some articles about this subject

• Administrators
7 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

This is not true.

My wife works for a medical school and gets updates almost hourly.  She works in politics too.  I love ya doc, but Houston is in bad shape.  San Antonio and the Valley are increasing.  Dallas is not currently as bad as any of those areas. Austin is in trouble too.

Abbott put out 3 Executive Orders today - one of which mandates statewide face covering requirement. This should have happened at least two months ago.... And we find ourselves in the position we are in.  As you mentioned before, there is a lot of politics in play, but the COVID numbers are what they are.  

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

Serious question: Is there any place that tracks hospitalization capacity overall? Preferably a system that existed prior to covid and the politics around it (theoretically providing a trustworthy baseline).

For some reason the state won't release that data, despite the state having that data (via hospitals sending daily reports to the state).  Politics?

34 minutes ago, Aaron Carrara said:

For some reason the state won't release that data, despite the state having that data (via hospitals sending daily reports to the state).  Politics?

The link I posted earlier has a chart/map that shows the % of hospital beds in use for each region.

Overall, if you look at the spikes in TX, FL, CA, and NY they only have one thing in common... high density populations. They all tried different approaches - mask strategies, lockdown restrictions, etc. None of it seemed to matter. 

Everyone was banking on the theory that covid would follow all other like viruses (including the original Spanish Flu) and burn off in the Summer.

Unfortunately... it did not. 

That could be really, really bad for a lot of reasons. But it also means that no one knows how to stop this thing, and blaming individuals for the rise in cases is a pointless exercise. Panic politics is going to driven by public emotion, but it's only an outlet for frustration that can't be directed at the one true culprit... the virus itself. 

In the meantime, individuals who want to give themselves the best chance to not get covid either stay home or wear an N95 mask and gloves when out in public.

All the other masks, bandanas, strips of blue jeans - or whatever else people are wearing in public - can help, but won't prevent the spread. Have you seen how many people wear a mask over the mouth, but not the nose? Or fiddle with it constantly, or pull it down to talk and lift it back up, etc? The general population aren't mask experts, and wearing a medical mask is a precise process in order to work correctly. 

Personally I wear an N95 mask out in public and have since it first began in March (we happened to have some from woodworking). So I'm not anti-mask and not trying to be political.

Right now there are only two ways out of this thing - a vaccine or herd immunity. So the next question becomes how to achieve herd immunity. If that's the goal, then having it spread among age groups with low mortality rates is not a bad thing - as long as we don't overwhelm the hospitals. 

In short, the only way out may be through. The longer term strategy of herd immunity may better protect high risk individuals than all the short term strategies combined.

As of June 5, there were 2 million doses of corona vaccine ready to go, with more in the making. That was a month ago so I suppose that number has gone up dramatically.

Transportation and logistics are already planned. Four or five companies have been chosen to produce the vaccine, with locations all over the US, outside of the original production already taking place. So the potential to match our population with doses is very high.

Once safety testing is complete, the green light will be given. It sounds like this could happen between August and October.

safety testing normally takes a year to complete. We have to watch out for Guillain-Barre syndrome.

However in these freaky times that’s going to be greatly shortened. We also won’t know for at least six months how well it is working. Let’s all cross our fingers.

2 hours ago, Bear19 said:

safety testing normally takes a year to complete. We have to watch out for Guillain-Barre syndrome.

However in these freaky times that’s going to be greatly shortened. We also won’t know for at least six months how well it is working. Let’s all cross our fingers.

I'm sorry, but I truly don't get it. We have a fatality rate of 0.26 percent. We've had diseases/viruses with similar and worse death rates where we didn't go near as far as we've been asked to go here.

Bless his heart, but Dr Fauci has been wrong so often I feel badly for him. But I have no respect for anything he says anymore. I'd just assume get that info from my dog at this point.

I don't wear a mask unless the place I am visiting makes it mandatory or if I will be around someone old or sick. I work outside a lot. It's 100 and something out there. Not a place you want a mask restricting your breathing. I heard today that Denton County was not going to enforce the mask order.