Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Aaron Carrara

***⛑ Coronavirus Thread***

9 hours ago, java said:

In the area where I live, the vast majority do not wear masks. It doesn’t make me feel silly when I wear one, but vulnerable.

When doctors are adhering to the protocol, and they are some of the most meticulous, who am I to question it. 

On the plus side, I was told a swimming pool, with chlorine, that limits occupancy, and practices social distancing is likely pretty safe if outside. UV light + chlorine likely kills corona virus.  Makes sense to me.

Went today to Restaurant Depot up here.  Masks were required just to enter the store.

Most places other than doctors offices, Costco, Rest Depot, are not really 'making' anyone wear them, but we still do, for now.  It's a pain in the butt, but hey, like you, it's better than the alternative.  One thing that is interesting is in the local grocery stores and hardware stores (basically my go-to joints at this point as our state is still in weird protocols,) you will see maybe half of the people wearing masks.  I won't judge them or ridicule them, as it's their choice.  For me, I've got masks and I wear them. 

13 hours ago, java said:

In the area where I live, the vast majority do not wear masks. It doesn’t make me feel silly when I wear one, but vulnerable.

When doctors are adhering to the protocol, and they are some of the most meticulous, who am I to question it. 

On the plus side, I was told a swimming pool, with chlorine, that limits occupancy, and practices social distancing is likely pretty safe if outside. UV light + chlorine likely kills corona virus.  Makes sense to me.

As long as nobody at the pool coughs or breathes in your face.  Staying under water is recommended!😃

Joey, there was an illustration, perhaps you have seen it.

It illustrated the possibility of transmission with no mask, one mask, and 2 masks.  The possibility of transmission is substantially lower with two masks than with one.  I wish people would use them.

It’s going to be a pain when school starts, but with the increase in cases, I’m just not sure what they will do.  I am planning on teaching from my classroom, one way or another. Taking attendance, even if it is virtual, and collecting virtual assignments.

My students really need the structure. 

The problem, as I see it, is if what I have read is true, there are in excess of 37 strains of this stuff out there.  If true, we are going to have to develop some immunity to this stuff or totally change our way of life.  

34 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

As long as nobody at the pool coughs or breathes in your face.  Staying under water is recommended!😃

#socialdistancing🤘

49 minutes ago, java said:

Joey, there was an illustration, perhaps you have seen it.

It illustrated the possibility of transmission with no mask, one mask, and 2 masks.  The possibility of transmission is substantially lower with two masks than with one.  I wish people would use them.

It’s going to be a pain when school starts, but with the increase in cases, I’m just not sure what they will do.  I am planning on teaching from my classroom, one way or another. Taking attendance, even if it is virtual, and collecting virtual assignments.

My students really need the structure. 

The problem, as I see it, is if what I have read is true, there are in excess of 37 strains of this stuff out there.  If true, we are going to have to develop some immunity to this stuff or totally change our way of life.  

My wife is still teaching, (tomorrow is her last day of the year,) and your concerns are the same for her as well.  The fall calendar is still up in the air up here with regards to whether or not they will return to the classroom or be doing virtual learning. 

The wholesale nurseries I go to went to a "service by appointment only" to keeping the office closed and billing by card on file while everybody wears masks and loads new plants . . . to no one is wearing masks unless they want to which meant about 10% in the nursery were wearing them. I will say they are tough to wear in 100 degree heat, which we've been having recently. 

Restaurants I visit are wearing them but not requiring them for patrons. 

I went to the doctor's office this past week for the annual check up thing and masks were required to enter the building, which is totally understandable.

I'll be glad when things get back to normal. As for the players getting it, I'm glad its now and not later when it could hurt us bad. Those who got it now will have the antibodies.

s of yet, we are unsure of the nature of human immunity to Coronavirus. A recently published study in monkeys has demonstrated that they produce antibodies to the virus, that protected them from a second infection a month later. Over the coming weeks, researches will be studying the antibody levels in the blood of people who have had COVID-19 to understand how strong their immunity is and how long it lasts. If the Coronavirus is like flu, we should expect to have some protection that will last months, until the strains circulating change substantially.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:01 PM, MBHORNSFAN said:

Few thoughts.

1. I just do not see how we have a season.

2. I'm glad I already had the covid.

3. I'm headed to Vegas in a few weeks. Hopefully most everything stays open.

F@#K Covid.

Mike, how did it effect you?  Did it knock you on your ass?  Glad to hear you are doing ok now.  

And most of you have heard by now, but Texas is in pretty bad shape with respect to hospital beds.  Houston is supposed to reach capacity at the end of this week, and Dallas is slightly behind.  Stay safe and wear a mask if you go out.  

7 hours ago, Aaron Carrara said:

And most of you have heard by now, but Texas is in pretty bad shape with respect to hospital beds.  Houston is supposed to reach capacity at the end of this week, and Dallas is slightly behind.  Stay safe and wear a mask if you go out.  

I was at Baylor Medical Center Dallas visiting a friend yesterday and there were empty beds everywhere.

Masks are required in Dallas County now.

I went to a private medical facility in Houston this week for some cardio tests. One of the nurses told me privately that I should have cancelled. She said it was a covid19 hotspot. Said some were having chest pains from the covid19 and were insisting on seeing a cardiologist instead of going to a hospital. 15 of their employees now have or had the virus. She told me not to use the arm rests. Said they only spray and wipe them in the morning. 

Didn't need a stress test after talking to her. 

22 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I was at Baylor Medical Center Dallas visiting a friend yesterday and there were empty beds everywhere.

Masks are required in Dallas County now.

They should be required everywhere. That requirement should have been in place through the reopenings. Now we’re screwed.

2 hours ago, Bear19 said:

They should be required everywhere. That requirement should have been in place through the reopenings. Now we’re screwed.

I don't think simply reopening did anything detrimental. But perhaps thousands of protestors not observing safe distances and most not wearing masks is a sure-fire way to see the numbers go up. We should not be surprised.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't think simply reopening did anything detrimental. But perhaps thousands of protestors not observing safe distances and most not wearing masks is a sure-fire way to see the numbers go up. We should not be surprised.

My point was reopening would have been fine had people simply worn masks. But people didn’t and they still are not. We cannot go through another shut down. But if people don’t start wearing masks we will have to.

I just got tested this morning. I have cold like symptoms, but I just wanted to be sure since I work for an octogenarian, plus of coarse the family's sake. Will find out Monday what the results are.

BTW they stick that swab halfway to China

18 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

The local news in Austin is down playing the protestors, rioters and looters role in the latest rise. I'm sure it's a combination of things but the fact they don't want to put some of blame on them is downright false.

19 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

The local news in Austin is down playing the protestors, rioters and looters role in the latest rise. I'm sure it's a combination of things but the fact they don't want to put some of blame on them is downright false.

They are scared. Perception is reality these days.

8 hours ago, Baron said:

I just got tested this morning. I have cold like symptoms, but I just wanted to be sure since I work for an octogenarian, plus of coarse the family's sake. Will find out Monday what the results are.

Prayers with you for good results. 

On 6/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Don’t forget all of the folks who had events and parties over Memorial Day weekend.

EDIT:  and the “Beer Pong” party in Lakeway😀

21 hours ago, Baron said:

Hope you get a negative test.  I’ve had 4 tests, the last because they either lost my sample or the test didn’t work for some reason.  The first few tests were done because I was sick, ended up being pneumonia.  The last 2 were done at my workplace which is a nursing home.  Fortunately all tests in our building have been negative, and covid has been kept at bay thus far.  Get healthy my friend!

2 hours ago, Baron said:

Thanks guys. This is mostly precautionary. My symptoms are a mild cold right now.

Safest procedure I've heard so far...treat EVERYONE like they have the virus, because they might. Don't discriminate. They'll understand and hopefully follow your example.