Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Aaron Carrara

***⛑ Coronavirus Thread***

According to the spring breaker in Florida there is nothing to fear.

Fauci was responding to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which, after studying more than 4,000 cases in the U.S., showed that about 40 percent of those who were hospitalized for the virus as of March 16 were ages 20 to 54. Among the most critical cases, 12 percent of intensive care admissions were among those ages 20 to 44, while 36 percent were for those 45 to 64.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-u-looking-very-closely-161900234.html

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

In the realm of what JoeyWa was talking about . . . we have a whiskey distiller here in Lewisville. Its Bendt Distillery. They make bourbon and distribute to restaurants and stores all over the DFW metroplex. Needless to say, the order for whiskey have slowed to a crawl so they are using excess alcohol and making hand sanitizer gel with it. They are distributing it free at their downtown Lewisville location.

Well now, I cannot speak for any hogwash cockamammie story like orders for whiskey being slowed to a crawl.  I am doing my part and supporting the bourbon industry, likely to the chagrin of my lovely wife.  :)

10 hours ago, joeywa said:

Well now, I cannot speak for any hogwash cockamammie story like orders for whiskey being slowed to a crawl.  I am doing my part and supporting the bourbon industry, likely to the chagrin of my lovely wife.  :)

I can agree with this 100%!  Idk about you @joeywa but I've been drinking plenty of whiskey and smoking plenty of meats! LOL!  @Sirhornsalot, I had no clue there was a whiskey distillery in Lewisville.  I work in Coppell.  Can I swing by and grab a bottle during this "shelter in place"?

5 hours ago, DBut82 said:

I can agree with this 100%!  Idk about you @joeywa but I've been drinking plenty of whiskey and smoking plenty of meats! LOL!  @Sirhornsalot, I had no clue there was a whiskey distillery in Lewisville.  I work in Coppell.  Can I swing by and grab a bottle during this "shelter in place"?

I'm sure they'd love to see you buy some bourbon right now.

Its on Charles St in old town Lewisville, located where the old Piggly Wiggly used to be. Its roughly one block or so south of downtown.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lewisville-distillery-making-hand-cleaner-for-community-during-covid-19-crisis/287-96662050-56d0-4513-b56b-b1a33c311f01?fbclid=IwAR38eEJh0GoCv1MIjrc_JdxPMfdrbL1qEvQFjVR0uIZB6KZYTROkYJR-NPk

Lewisville distillery making hand cleaner for community during COVID-19 crisis

Hand sanitizer is hard to come by during the coronavirus outbreak. Bendt Distilling Co. is making hand cleaner and giving it to people for free.

LEWISVILLE, Texas — With coronavirus spreading, this week has been a change of pace for Natasha DeHart. She and her husband own Bendt Distilling Company in Lewisville. 

Over the weekend, they stopped the tasting hall, tours and events at the distillery. 

"Essentially half of our staff just became unemployed," said Natasha. "Yeah. We're all scared."

She's been doing everything she can to keep her shop clean, and noticed how hard it is to find hand sanitizer in stores. Natasha decided to make her own hand cleaner and give it to her staff.

She decided to make some for law enforcement, first responders, nearby businesses and even customers too.

"It's made with the first spirit that comes off the still, and it's not really suitable for consumption. It's very high proof," she said. 

Natasha dilutes it with water, xanthan gum and a drop of essential oil for smell. She said it contains 70 percent alcohol, more than the 60 percent minimum recommended by the CDC.

"It just became obvious that there was a bigger problem and so we started looking at ways that we might be able to fulfill that need," said Natasha.

Word spread about this project. In three days, her team handed out more than 1,500 free bottles of hand cleaner. 

She bought as many plastic 4-ounce bottles as she could find, but quickly ran out. On Wednesday, she resorted to mini liquor bottles as a way to keep going.

She said, "They don't have the convenient dispenser top, but we will do what we can. We will keep handing them out."

Even though her business is feeling the impact of the COVID-19, Natasha hopes the free hand cleaners will help the community through this crisis.

Two weeks ago today, I thought my only co-worker had left early for the day. Her away message was displayed on her Jabber account. Even though we are a two-person dept, we work on opposite sides of town support ambulatory medical clinics on the electronic medical record software. I called her and joked that we had an emergency meeting in 10 minutes and she needed to go back to her office. Turns out, she only went down the hall to chat with a nurse.  My wife had been sent home 15 minutes early from their end of day after having ZERO phone or computers for the afternoon.  So, I told my co-worker that I was actually going home.  I get 5 blocks down the road and receive an email from our boss that we have an emergent web meeting.  I'm thinking my co-worker put our boss up to this. But then I see the corporate team is also on the meeting invite. This COVID-19 has really diverted our normal routine.  We and our clinics have had to learn the whole ins/outs of telehealth. Physicians are not the easiest group of people to train and convince that a new way of doing things is going to work.  I was helping one doctor at our local urgent care clinic.  I hear the nurses chatter to the side that one of the roomed patients showed positive for COVID-19. There I sat in just a face mask in regards to protection. I immediately donned gloves and gown. They had a can of Lysol spray that I used like insect repellant before I left.

How is everyone doing over here?  Haven't been on this site in a while

Me?  I've been mostly hanging out at the farm.  Just learned my neighbor, down the road, has a daughter in the hospital. with the virus. But I hear she is getting better.  Brenham, for the most part, has evaded the virus, but Katy sure hasn't.  And how about you, SHL, how has it affected yiour business? 

7 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

How is everyone doing over here?  Haven't been on this site in a while

Me?  I've been mostly hanging out at the farm.  Just learned my neighbor, down the road, has a daughter in the hospital. with the virus. But I hear she is getting better.  Brenham, for the most part, has evaded the virus, but Katy sure hasn't.  And how about you, SHL, how has it affected yiour business? 

We're listed as an essential business, so we're still rolling along.

The effects? We've lost two customers because they feared spending money during this time of uncertainty. The projects we're seeing right now are not the usual flagstone patios, outdoor living spaces that we normally would see this time of year. But we're getting work and its steady, so I can't complain and feel very blessed.

16 hours ago, primal defense said:

tone deaf

MIKE GUNDY'S TONE-DEAF CORONAVIRUS RANT SHOWS WHY HE'S NEVER LEAVING OK STATE

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mike-gundys-tonedeaf-rant-about-return-of-college-football-shows-hes-never-leaving-oklahoma-state-012454629.html

But he's no longer a 40-year old man!

2 hours ago, primal defense said:

It takes a real man to admit when he's wrong. A 52 year old man.:)

OKLAHOMA STATE COACH MIKE GUNDY APOLOGIZES FOR COMMENTS ABOUT BRINGING PLAYERS BACK IN EARLY MAY

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-state-coach-mike-gundy-apologizes-for-comments-about-bringing-players-back-in-early-may/

I don't think the man said anything wrong.We need to get back to normal, otherwise we're f##ked

Hope everyone is staying healthy and hanging in there.  I know we're all going stir crazy, but its better than being sick.

I don't have any family members that have contracted COVID-19, but I do have some friends that had/have it and spent time in the hospital.  One is still in, struggling to breath and fighting this.  

3 hours ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Hope everyone is staying healthy and hanging in there.  I know we're all going stir crazy, but its better than being sick.

I don't have any family members that have contracted COVID-19, but I do have some friends that had/have it and spent time in the hospital.  One is still in, struggling to breath and fighting this.  

Praying for your friend's recovery. I don't know anyone who has had this. 

On 4/11/2020 at 6:27 PM, Baron said:

I don't think the man said anything wrong.We need to get back to normal, otherwise we're f##ked

It won't work until we have an antibody test. I hope you have been working on an accurate test so we can go back to work.

Abbott announces new coronavirus antibody test that could do up to 20 million screenings in June

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/15/new-coronavirus-antibody-test-announced-by-abbott.html