Jump to content

Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
BillVol

Rick Barnes

Recommended Posts

New member here.  I had to check my Tennessee pride at the door when registering when the system asked, to avoid spam accounts,  "What city is UT in?"  I figured answering Knoxville would not work here!  

Anyhow, some folks on radio today are upset that Rick Barnes does not like to wear our Tennessee orange.  His neckties are usually more of the burnt orange variety than our Tennessee orange.  And he showed up at the state tourney over the weekend completely devoid of any orange (of any shade) or Tennessee logos.  I was wondering, was he the same way at Texas?  

It doesn't help things that he said he would have left for UCLA if we had let him out of the contract after last season.  

Just for the record, I have always admired Texas.  I have never visited Austin.  My Dad did one time and said he didn't want to leave.  A home and home with Texas seems like a natural.  Hopefully, we'll see that soon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BillVol said:

New member here.  I had to check my Tennessee pride at the door when registering when the system asked, to avoid spam accounts,  "What city is UT in?"  I figured answering Knoxville would not work here!  

Anyhow, some folks on radio today are upset that Rick Barnes does not like to wear our Tennessee orange.  His neckties are usually more of the burnt orange variety than our Tennessee orange.  And he showed up at the state tourney over the weekend completely devoid of any orange (of any shade) or Tennessee logos.  I was wondering, was he the same way at Texas?  

It doesn't help things that he said he would have left for UCLA if we had let him out of the contract after last season.  

Just for the record, I have always admired Texas.  I have never visited Austin.  My Dad did one time and said he didn't want to leave.  A home and home with Texas seems like a natural.  Hopefully, we'll see that soon. 

 

 

Barnes never had a problem wearing the burnt orange ties that I know of. I know sometimes he didn't wear school colors, but not often. 

I wouldn't be upset with his statement about UCLA. Everybody has to cover their bases with contingency plans and whatnot. I think Barnes has had success at your UT so I'd think you'd want to keep him.

IMO, Barnes would be miserable in California. In Knoxville, he's at least close to home (Hickory NC). I'm sure that area of Tennessee reminds him of home anyway.

For the record, we'd take him back in a heartbeat compared to who we have now. lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barnes has or had family/kids in California as I recall so that may have been why he was open to going there, plus UCLA has a pretty stout hoops tradition, granted not so much in the recent past, but we aren't ones to talk about hoops traditions.  Barnes was solid here and got us to another level, but it was time for a change when he left and worked out well for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Texas2725 said:

Barnes has or had family/kids in California as I recall so that may have been why he was open to going there, plus UCLA has a pretty stout hoops tradition, granted not so much in the recent past, but we aren't ones to talk about hoops traditions.  Barnes was solid here and got us to another level, but it was time for a change when he left and worked out well for him.

Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out to well for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texas2725 said:

Barnes has or had family/kids in California as I recall so that may have been why he was open to going there, plus UCLA has a pretty stout hoops tradition, granted not so much in the recent past, but we aren't ones to talk about hoops traditions.  Barnes was solid here and got us to another level, but it was time for a change when he left and worked out well for him.

And Patterson happened to us. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out to well for us.

Agreed which is why I said it worked out well for him......not both parties.  SHA is right too, Patterson didn't help in the least and I think we're still trying to recover from his 15 moth stint as the worst AD in the history of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

Agreed which is why I said it worked out well for him......not both parties.  SHA is right too, Patterson didn't help in the least and I think we're still trying to recover from his 15 moth stint as the worst AD in the history of the world.

Agree with your take above, was just adding my disdain for the state of Texas basketball since Barnes’ departure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  


×
×
  • Create New...