Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Tlarsen

Talking Texas with 2021 Football Commit Hayden Conner

hconnertscom21.jpg

Last season, the Katy Taylor Mustangs limped into the Texas 6A D2 playoffs at 5-5. What ensued was an improbable run of four consecutive wins that propelled the Mustangs to the state semifinals. During that run, the Mustangs averaged more than 41 points a game, 15 points more than what they were doing in the regular season.

One profound reason for that success? 2021 UT commit Hayden Conner.

Conner is a 6’6” 325-pound beast of a left tackle. The Mustang had an impressive 87 pancake blocks on the season and is a four-star recruit based on the 247 sports composite.

“I take film and preparation very seriously. I spend a lot of time studying my opponent and seeing what they might try to do,” Conner said on his on-field success. “I love the off-season and preparing my body for the next year.”

Conner was heavily recruited, receiving D1 offers from Texas A&M, Stanford, and Michigan among others before ultimately deciding on the Longhorns.

“UT has one of the best aerospace engineering programs in the country,” Conner said on why he chose UT. “Combine that with big-time football close to home and a former teammate committing which made it a very easy decision.”

The teammate that Conner is referring to would be a fellow four-star prospect, a dual-threat quarterback from Katy Tompkins, Jalen Milroe.

Conner and Milroe have been close friends and been playing football together since elementary school. Once Milroe committed to being the future Texas quarterback, Conner shortly followed.

The junior left tackle excels not only on the gridiron but in the classroom as well. He boasts an impressive 3.58 GPA and is pursuing aerospace engineering. It’s only fitting that Conner has lofty goals for his time as a Longhorn.

“Excel academically and get a great degree,” Conner said on his future goals. “Find a way to contribute as early as possible and help UT get back to a national championship.”

Just like how the commitment of Jalen Milroe made it an easier decision for Hayden Conner, Conner’s commitment might sway another recruit into the Longhorns family as well.

Katy Taylor boasts yet another four-star recruit on their offensive line with 6’5” 320-pound offensive guard, Bryce Foster. Foster is also a junior and just over a month ago listed his top five teams as Oklahoma, LSU, Oregon, Texas A&M, and Texas.

“Bryce and I make each other a lot better. We’ve been together since sixth grade and have had a lot of success,” Conner said on the potential of playing with Foster at UT. “There’s no one that I would rather go to war with.”

Regardless of where Foster ends up though, Texas still holds claim to one of the best 2021 recruiting classes in the nation. Hayden Conner is a huge reason for that claim.

“I want the fans to know that I am 100% locked in with UT. I’m doing everything I can to help build my class and when I get on campus I’ll give everything I have to represent the University of Texas to the best of my ability. I’m proud to be a Longhorn. Hook em!”