Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****Game Thread - Texas vs. Texas Tech*****

usp_ncaa_basketball__ncaa_tournament-uni

The Longhorns are back in action today as they host Texas Tech in the first meeting of the season between the two teams.  Texas lost to Kansas in Lawrence on Monday 69-58, and Texas Tech defeated Oklahoma in Lubbock on Tuesday. 

Texas has won 22 of the last 23 games against Texas Tech in Austin and hope to continue this trend to get the team back to .500 in conference play and notch win number 15 on the season.  With that being said, the Red Raiders hold a 4-game winning streak over the Longhorns.

Junior guard Matt Coleman is 11 points shy of a career 1,000 points as a Longhorn, and will become the 38th player in school history to achieve this mark.

txttu201t.png

What: Texas Longhorns (14-8, 4-4 Big 12) vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders (14-8, 5-4 Big 12)
When: Saturday, February 8, 2020
Time:  3:00 PM CST
Venue: Frank Erwin Center
Television: ESPN2
The Line: Texas Tech -2.5

Last Meeting Between the Two Teams: Texas Tech defeated Texas 70-51 (March 4, 2020 - Lubbock, TX)
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads Texas Tech 86-60 

1 hour ago, tejasrulz said:

A must win game for Smart and the Horns. The big question is which Texas team will show up?

My guess is the usual team will show up, have a lead of 2 points early, down by a bucket at half, lose by 10.

2 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

A must win game for Smart and the Horns. The big question is which Texas team will show up?

And if the good team shows up will they play for both halves?

Former Horn hoopster James Banks averaging 10.2 pts and 7.7 boards for G-Tech this season.  Gotta think we could have used him in Austin and developed him on the 40 acres....wait, I forgot our staff can’t actually develop players.

Checked stats, we had 10 offensive boards to their 1, Sims had 2 shots in the game (and 5 fouls which might have kept him off the court for most of the game).  We shot about 32% for the game.  Got out scored big time on the second half.  My guess is we didn’t attempt to feed Sims the ball down low, chucked up contested jump shots and 3s as the shot clock wound down, and failed to look like we had any direction on the court.  I know all of this without watching one second of this game.  My apathy is high, but for  some reason I continue to check the scores and stats during the games on my phone.  Need to stop that.

Good 1st half by the Horns. A. Jones was on fire, the team was playing good D overall and they kept the fouls low except for K. Jones who had 2.

Very bad 2nd half by the Horns. As hot as Jones was the 1st half, he was that cold in the 2nd. To make matters worse, no one was really able to pick up the scoring in his absence for most the half. Coleman finally was hitting but he couldn't do everything. The game plan was so predicable in the last 30 seconds, let Coleman drive the ball, that Tech knew what was going to happen and blocked his shots (one should have been a foul which caused me to yell some pretty choice words at my TV).

Speaking of fouls, at one point in the 2nd half Texas had 12 or 13 fouls called against them to 2 for Tech. Some of the fouls were valid, some ( a couple on Sims) weren't. Tech had 12 fouls total in the game and 3 or 4 of them came in the last 40 seconds when they had fouls to give. Tech was 17 of 22 from the line, Texas 7 of 8. Those 10 points are the ball game.

In regards to Sims, he didn't get the ball much cause they were covering him tightly and having an additional player slide over when he did get the ball. The problem was nobody helped him when he was double teamed (one time I saw 3 Tech defenders on him) except once where he did get an assist. When you're double teamed in b-ball, there has to be an open man. That is fundamental basketball and on the coach.

Texas' D is pretty solid, minus the fouls, however the O is weak, very weak. Smart needs to hire an assistant with a good offensive mind. Because as much as most people want him gone, with his contract I'm pretty sure he's coming back.

2 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Smart needs to hire an assistant with a good offensive mind. Because as much as most people want him gone, with his contract I'm pretty sure he's coming back.

Smart needs to be fired and replaced by a competent head coach and staff.  Paging CDC....

I could be wrong, but I don't think he gets fired. Too much money to buy out, buy out staff, replace with more too much money to hire new guy and staff. Plus, that 5-star out at Vandergrift says Shaka goes, he won't come.

All that said . . . fire shaka

57 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think he gets fired. Too much money to buy out, buy out staff, replace with more too much money to hire new guy and staff. Plus, that 5-star out in Cedar Park says Shaka goes, he won't come.

All that said . . . fire shaka

Twice in one day

You Right GIF by memecandy

If Shaka is back next year, I’ll just know to be about as invested as I am right now in basketball (i.e. none, zilch, nada) at the beginning of the season.  I can do that in basketball. CDC has to know there will be no interest in “basketblah” if he comes back  

That is just impossible with football. Always invested.