Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

******Texas vs #12 West Virginia Game Thread*****

The Longhorns are back in action tonight in Morgantown and will have another opportunity to defeat a ranked opponent, after falling to 6 Kansas at the Erwin Center on Saturday. The Mountaineers bring a 3-2 conference record into the contest, with losses to Kansas and Kansas State.

txwvu.png

What: Texas Longhorns (12-5, 2-3 Big 12) vs. #12 West Virginia Mountaineers (14-3, 3-2 Big 12)
When: Monday, January 20, 2020
Time:  6:00 PM CST
Venue: WVU Coliseum
Television: ESPNU
The Line: Kansas -9.5

Last Meeting Between the Two Teams: Texas defeated West Virginia 75-53 (February 9, 2019, Morgantown, WV)
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads West Virginia 11-8

There was a 28-2 run in this game. 

WVU has more offensive rebounds than we have total rebounds. 

Coleman has been benched so far in the 2nd half. 

WVU has more than Twice as many points as us. 

And it’s not even 3/4s over. 

Shaka seems like a nice guy. I wish him well. I really do.

Maybe he can go somewhere like Lamar or even a Texas State and turn around another program. I hope he does. But his time here needs to be done.

Let him go now and give Yakich the interim HC title for the rest of the year...

What a fugly game last night. I didn't watch all of it but the part I saw was mostly the huge WVU run before half-time. So many times I saw Texas play like JR high kids. Fundamentals such as staying between your man and the basket were ignored, the guards not passing to wide open guys cutting across the lane and throwing up a 3s (which they missed), letting WVU players drive right through the lane uncontested and not using your body/butt to get into position to grab a rebound.

I will still root for the Horns and hope they win every last game but this team is bad, real bad.

6 hours ago, TB14 said:

Shaka seems like a nice guy. I wish him well. I really do.

Maybe he can go somewhere like Lamar or even a Texas State and turn around another program. I hope he does. But his time here needs to be done.

Let him go now and give Yakich the interim HC title for the rest of the year...

My thoughts exactly on elevating Yakich for the rest of the season.

SHAKA’S SEAT IS HEATING UP

The Shaka Smart era at Texas feels like it has hit an inflection point.

On Monday night, the Longhorns went into Morgantown, W.V., and found themselves wishing Country Roads would take them home before the first half came to a close. No. 14 West Virginia, coming off of blowout loss at Kansas State on Saturday, used a 28-2 run over a 10 minute stretch in the first half to turn a 15-13 lead into a 43-15 blowout. They would go on to win 97-59.

The loss dropped Texas to 12-6 on the season and 2-4 in the Big 12. The Longhorns certainly are not out of it just yet — three of their four Big 12 losses came against teams that currently rank in the top six at KenPom — but it’s getting harder and harder to defend the situation that’s brewing in Austin. Texas has now lost four of their last six and five of their last eight. They are in danger of missing the NCAA tournament for the second straight season and for the third time in four years.

But perhaps the biggest concern is that the Longhorns just don’t seem to be growing as a program. Last year, while Texas ended up missing the tournament, they finished as a top 25 team on KenPom and made a run all the way to the NIT title. It’s worth noting that before the tournament started, they were already a top 30 team on KenPom; their ranking wasn’t skewed by getting hot for three weeks in a tournament no one cares about.

The problem this season is that there has been no progression. Texas has been a program under Shaka that has hung their hat on defense, but this is the worst defensive team he has had in his tenure. That becomes even more of an issue when you factor in that they cannot score. They’re 111th nationally in adjusted offensive efficiency, which is what happens when your offense is, essentially, a spread ball-screen into a contested three.

KenPom has Texas favored to win just three more games the rest of the season. They’re projected to finish 17-14 overall and 7-11 in the Big 12.

That’s not good.

https://sports.yahoo.com/three-things-know-shaka-seat-052202071.html

Good grief guys, we beat the team that beat West Virginia (KSU). What else could you want? lol

The buyout is $10.5 million as of this year. Will CDC do it? Are enough alumni ticked off enough to fork it over?

They've seen Shaka Smart's capabilities in their completeness. Same thing every single year. I was ready for Rick Barnes to go when he left. But not for this.

Texas

The heat around Shaka Smart is growing after a disastrous trip to Morgantown on Monday night. Texas was down 45-20 at halftime and trailed by as many as 43 in an ugly 97-59 loss to West Virginia, after which Smart said his team "didn't have the level of fight we needed to have for a lot of things on both ends of the floor." It was the fifth-worst defeat in program history and the worst under Smart, and comes in the middle of a critical year for the fifth-year coach. The 12-6 Longhorns have a thin résumé outside of a road win over Purdue, aren't currently projected to be an NCAA tournament team and seem to lack the offensive firepower needed to change that. Smart entered this year on the hot seat, and his time in Austin could come to a swift close if things don't improve in the season's final two months.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/21/stock-report-louisville-duke-rutgers-shaka-smart

On 1/21/2020 at 7:42 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Good grief guys, we beat the team that beat West Virginia (KSU). What else could you want? lol

The buyout is $10.5 million as of this year. Will CDC do it? Are enough alumni ticked off enough to fork it over?

They've seen Shaka Smart's capabilities in their completeness. Same thing every single year. I was ready for Rick Barnes to go when he left. But not for this.

I don’t know that CDC has many options at this point.