Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

*****Valero Alamo Bowl Game Thread: Texas Longhorns vs #11 Utah Utes*****

This result is what I hoped for but didn't expect. Texas dominated Utah after a slow start by the offense.

My initial thoughts:

Herman needs to take a long hard look at his decision making on 4th down in the red zone. His failure rate has to be above 75%.

Ossai is the next great player that will be drafted from UT. The dude was all over the place tonight. Ash will make him a star.

Adimora played well. I assume he got his chance after Brown and Jones didn't play.

Graham had his best of his career. 

DevDuv showed everyone why his drop percentage is just above zero.

The continuation of play without a helmet penalty is complete bullshit. I have never seen that called. Ever.

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Is it just me or did we find a decent linebacker in Cort Jaquess?

Perhaps the best French linebacker in the Big 12?

Dude looked the part, looked like a good sized LB who ran to the ball.  Interesting he got so much playing time.  Great for him, gotta be one of the best moments of his life!

42 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

But that LB from Frisco Lone Star is validated.  

Utah is a good football team.  They just ran into a buzz saw last night and couldn’t getaway from it.  Texas was prepared and amped for the game.  

“everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth” - Mike Tyson.  

41 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

Utah is a good football team.  They just ran into a buzz saw last night and couldn’t getaway from it.  Texas was prepared and amped for the game.  

“everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth” - Mike Tyson.  

You are what your record says you are. 
Bill Parcells

Here’s to a better 2020.  

3 hours ago, Drb522 said:

Utah is a good football team. 

I keep hearing this but Utah has not beaten anyone notable.  They were steam rolled by Oregon and us the last 2 games

Outside of Oregon the PAC12 has been terrible as a whole.  Only 3 teams have a winning record in conference play.  Seriously 9 losing records in conference play?  Even USC got steamrolled by Iowa and they were one of the 3 teams.

We played lights out with a very aggressive defense.  My first reaction was "Overrated..." /chant.  Its either that or you have to wonder what the hell is going on.  If we can trounce Utah like that where was this team the last 6 games.

I cut off LHN after they started "You have to be excited about next year...This is a great stepping stone"  That sounds familiar after last years Sugar bowl.

My notes

- Ossai was a beast.  Unleash the beast kiddo. 

- DevDuv made some amazing catches.  You will be missed

- Jamison has some jets.  Kind of reminds me of Ramonce Taylor

27 minutes ago, DMAC said:

I keep hearing this but Utah has not beaten anyone notable.  They were steam rolled by Oregon and us the last 2 games

Outside of Oregon the PAC12 has been terrible as a whole.  Only 3 teams have a winning record in conference play.  Seriously 9 losing records in conference play?  Even USC got steamrolled by Iowa and they were one of the 3 teams.

We played lights out with a very aggressive defense.  My first reaction was "Overrated..." /chant.  Its either that or you have to wonder what the hell is going on.  If we can trounce Utah like that where was this team the last 6 games.

I cut off LHN after they started "You have to be excited about next year...This is a great stepping stone"  That sounds familiar after last years Sugar bowl.

My notes

- Ossai was a beast.  Unleash the beast kiddo. 

- DevDuv made some amazing catches.  You will be missed

- Jamison has some jets.  Kind of reminds me of Ramonce Taylor

Utah was good, not great.  They were untested also.  I think Texas just came out and punched them and kept swinging.  

11 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

Utah was good, not great.  They were untested also.  I think Texas just came out and punched them and kept swinging.  

You could see the effort by our guys for sure.  Ingram, Sam, Ossai, Graham, Adimora, etc.  Loved seeing Jaquess(sp) LB bring the old school beefy LB back for a day.

As Griffin mentioned, we out schemed Utah.  Roach also mentioned in post game they basically learned a new defense the last few weeks.  Utah didnt seem prepared but then again we came out with a better scheme and intent.

Great way to end the season.  Hopefully we can find consistency next year

11 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

And to think several people here didn't want Texas to play in a bowl.  🤣  I wonder if they watched tonight's game in their "safe space"? Yea, I'm tipsy, but I'm not driving so....

Happy New Year and HOOKEM!

Gee. We have a new a*s hole board monitor.

I think Naivar was baiting during the pregame press conference. He said we are not going to change from what Todd Orlando had set up. Said it was a good plan and they were going to stick with it. I’m not an expert but it didn’t look the same to me. Not just because of last night, but I have said prior that I would like for them to keep Naivar. He’s a good high energy coach and recruits really well. He could coach LB’s if Ash is going to coach safeties. 

29 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

I think Naivar was baiting during the pregame press conference. He said we are not going to change from what Todd Orlando had set up. Said it was a good plan and they were going to stick with it. I’m not an expert but it didn’t look the same to me. Not just because of last night, but I have said prior that I would like for them to keep Naivar. He’s a good high energy coach and recruits really well. He could coach LB’s if Ash is going to coach safeties. 

I’d keep Jason Washington too. Kids love him and great recruiter. 

1 hour ago, DMAC said:

You could see the effort by our guys for sure.  Ingram, Sam, Ossai, Graham, Adimora, etc.  Loved seeing Jaquess(sp) LB bring the old school beefy LB back for a day.

As Griffin mentioned, we out schemed Utah.  Roach also mentioned in post game they basically learned a new defense the last few weeks.  Utah didnt seem prepared but then again we came out with a better scheme and intent.

Great point DMAC. This will be the key for both for the staff and the players imo. Herman has proven he can prepare the team for a big game but sometimes does not seem to realize that at Texas, every game is a big game. The ability to be consistent every week will determine the success of both the team and Coach Herman.

2 hours ago, DMAC said:

Funny how Naivar praises Orlando and said that he would not change the defensive scheme for the bowl game....well, that was BS and he changed it to perfection apparently.  

2 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

Agree, didn’t read your post before my post above^^^