Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*****The Official 2019 NSD-1 Thread*****

Aaron Carrara

• Administrators
17 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

My guess is they are going to have to go the JUCO route again, or hand out new offers to some unsigned high school players.

Jaylan Ford from Frisco Lone Star is a name to know, but I can't find confirmation that he signed with Utah today.

Signed with Texas today.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaylan-Ford-46051140/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9264163/Jaylan-Ford

16 hours ago, Drb522 said:

Not that I really care, but to be committed to OU for 3-4 years to switching on signing day....  sounds like there’s something shady there.

This flip to Alabama has been in the works since April. There were reports that his spring OU Official Visit didn't go that well. I know several people thought Texas had a great shot at flipping him over the summer. He visited Alabama over the summer then took an official there last month so they were able to get final word with him. Don't think this was very surprising and mostly expected over the past week.

22 minutes ago, TB14 said:

This flip to Alabama has been in the works since April. There were reports that his spring OU Official Visit didn't go that well. I know several people thought Texas had a great shot at flipping him over the summer. He visited Alabama over the summer then took an official there last month so they were able to get final word with him. Don't think this was very surprising and mostly expected over the past week.

I guess I missed all of that

SALPOINTE CATHOLIC  STANDOUTS SIGN

Then there’s Robinson.

Robinson finished his historic Salpointe Catholic career as Arizona’s all-time big-school (Class 4A, 5A, 6A) rushing leader and amassed over 7,000 rushing yards and 114 touchdowns, which is a state record.

Halfway through this, Robinson passed his idol and mentor Ka’Deem Carey as Southern Arizona’s all-time leading rusher.

Robinson also cleaned house on Player of the Year awards.

He won Arizona Gatorade Player of the Year honors, Arizona National Football Foundation Frank Kush Player of the Year honors and he became the first player in state history to be a two-time Ed Doherty Award winner.

Now, Robinson will become the first player in Tucson history to play for the Longhorns.

Robinson sent his NLI to Austin, but said Tucson was on his mind — and it always will be.

“I know people have high expectations of me and I just want to go in and make the city proud,” he said.

A bar known for hosting UA events was the venue for a signing party that didn’t have a Block “A” or a Wildcat in sight, but it was the start of Tucson’s best signing their lives away to be in a position to put Tucson on the map in Los Angeles, Columbus, Austin — and Minot, North Dakota.

“Representing Tucson is huge for me, because Tucson has supported me all my life,” Robinson said. “I never came from anywhere else and I never moved anywhere. But that support Tucson has brought to me and me bringing it to Texas, I can help Tucson rise on the map and let the whole country know what Tucson is about.

“I’m working hard to make Tucson the biggest place it could be in the future.”

https://tucson.com/sports/highschool/salpointe-catholic-standouts-sign-celebrate-in-shadow-of-ua-campus/article_7943feda-15e7-54b1-898b-1964d1d1b262.html

Notable Thursday Commitments

Jaylan Ford Spurns Utah, Signs with Texas

Texas head coach Tom Herman scored a win on Thursday with the addition of linebacker Jaylan Ford to his 2020 class.

A native of Frisco, Texas, Ford originally announced in October he was going to attend Utah.  The 18-year-old pulled off a surprise move on Thursday when he posted on Twitter he signed a letter of intent with the Longhorns:

Ford is a 3-star prospect and No. 86 outside linebacker, per 247Sports' composite rankings. His signing brought the Longhorns' 2020 class up to 17 players, led by 5-star running back Bijan Robinson. 

Coming off a strong start on Wednesday, Herman told reporters he was optimistic about the team's chances of adding more talent and singled out linebacker as a position of need. 

"There is enough talent out there that will not have signed today that I think we’ll find one, if not two, that we think can be developed into a championship linebacker," he said.

Ford's decision to flip his commitment comes on the heels of Texas hiringformer Rutgers head coach Chris Ash as defensive coordinator. 

Per Mike Craven of HookEm.com, Ford fits the "traditional linebacker with sideline-to-sideline speed" that Texas lacked in 2019. His ability at the second level will fit the desire of Ash and Herman to have a traditional four-man front that can attack the opposing quarterback without having to send extra pass-rushers. 

Texas' defense allowed 28.9 points per game this season, which includes giving up 48 points to a Kansas team that ranked 102nd in the nation in scoring offense. 

Ford alone isn't going to make the Longhorns an elite defense, but his addition at a position where the team lacked an impact player go a long way toward helping them contend for a Big 12 title in 2020. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867742-early-national-signing-day-2019-analyzing-top-recruiting-classes-after-day-2

2 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

Reading that they sent Zach Evans home from the state championship game today and he will not be able to participate. Glad these dude is going somewhere else. We don’t need that. We’ll roll with Biiiiiiijan

How do you manage to get that far and get thrown off before the title game? .  Immaturity.

2 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

And he missed the first half of the semifinals last week taking the SAT...........Really????? I just don’t get it 

FWIW - I was at that game last week. He played right before half. I didn't see him before that play so it is possible he was a late arrival, but he did play right before half.