Jump to content

Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****Conference Championship Games Thread*****

Recommended Posts

My guess is they drop to 3 with LSU and Clemson moving up. Maybe even 4th since a lot of people seem to want to see an LSU/OSU game one way or the other. That scenario helps OU imo since I believe OSU and LSU have the best defenses at this point in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

If so, it's a very bad look, IMO. You diss the conference champ for 2nd place in the CFP? Very odd.

But that's the way they present the process. The 4 best teams get in. Not necessarily the best performers during championship week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Baron said:

But that's the way they present the process. The 4 best teams get in. Not necessarily the best performers during championship week.

Yes, but the emphasis that you win your conference was almost instituted as a qualifier. How can you be a national champion when you weren't even the best in your conference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Apparently Georgia wasn’t interested in playing today and that’s why they lost...just like the Sugar Bowl last year.  I guess as long as they get “curb stomped” by an sec team it is legitimate.

I'm beginning to believe Georgia was part of our problem. We beat a Georgia team that wasn't as good as the hype. We thought we'd really done something beating them. Expectations got jacked up when really, half our conference could have beaten them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the thought process they use to justify two SEC teams. Luckily they haven't been given that chance.

The committee (and their master, ESPN) has never said that the conference championships are play in games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm beginning to believe Georgia was part of our problem. We beat a Georgia team that wasn't as good as the hype. We thought we'd really done something beating them. Expectations got jacked up when really, half our conference could have beaten them.

No, the problem this season was definitely the defense...and the offense...and the special teams😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a whole lot of parity in college football. 

imo, our problem, I’ve said it before, and I will say it again, Herman has had 2 full recruiting classes here. That first recruiting class they barely held together, with the exception of a few special players like Sam. 

This year, we were playing a lot of talented youth, and then the talented youth got hurt during the heart of the season. We don’t have the depth for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the game is different now but there used to be a belief that every freshman that started equaled a loss during the season. That may not be the exact verbiage but the point seems to always hold true, inexperience costs at some point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, java said:

I think there is a whole lot of parity in college football. 

imo, our problem, I’ve said it before, and I will say it again, Herman has had 2 full recruiting classes here. That first recruiting class they barely held together, with the exception of a few special players like Sam. 

This year, we were playing a lot of talented youth, and then the talented youth got hurt during the heart of the season. We don’t have the depth for that. 

You forgot the most important part. Bad coaching hires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Apparently Georgia wasn’t interested in playing today and that’s why they lost...just like the Sugar Bowl last year.  I guess as long as they get “curb stomped” by an sec team it is legitimate.

Nah.....  LSU is baaaaccckkk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only conference championship game I didn't pick correctly was Utah vs Oregon. I really thought the Utes would take it. That and I was hoping they would make the playoffs over ou.

LSU is good boys. I hope the Texas team that played them earlier shows up for the bowl game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

I know the game is different now but there used to be a belief that every freshman that started equaled a loss during the season. That may not be the exact verbiage but the point seems to always hold true, inexperience costs at some point.  

Al McGuire, basketball coach of Marquette (won a national championship in 1977) said: "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores." I remember him saying that later as a broadcaster.

He had a lot of colorful remarks during his broadcasts. Other quotes include:

"The only mystery in life is why kamikaze pilots sore helmets."

"if the waitress has dirty ankles, you know the chilli is good."

"All love affairs end. Eventually the girl puts curlers in her hair."

"Every obnoxious fan has a wife at home that dominates him." Hmmm, I wonder if he read OB. 😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Only conference championship game I didn't pick correctly was Utah vs Oregon. I really thought the Utes would take it. That and I was hoping they would make the playoffs over ou.

LSU is good boys. I hope the Texas team that played them earlier shows up for the bowl game.

That team will need to show up or Notre Dame will kill us in the camping world bowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oregon scheduled Auburn(9-3,top 20 team) at neutral site and lost on last play of the game. They are pac12 champs with 2 loses. If committee isn’t going to reward good scheduling then teams should schedule like Baylor. Ou has 1 loss but played a 4-8 usc team OOC. Lost to 8-4. Oregon lost to 7-5 team. 
 

System is messed up and doesn’t reward good scheduling. We shouldn’t schedule LSU and Bama bc we don’t get rewarded for it.

yes it’s fun for the fans but u want to make playoffs or no? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Oregon scheduled Auburn(9-3,top 20 team) at neutral site and lost on last play of the game. They are pac12 champs with 2 loses. If committee isn’t going to reward good scheduling then teams should schedule like Baylor. Ou has 1 loss but played a 4-8 usc team OOC. Lost to 8-4. Oregon lost to 7-5 team. 
 

System is messed up and doesn’t reward good scheduling. We shouldn’t schedule LSU and Bama bc we don’t get rewarded for it.

yes it’s fun for the fans but u want to make playoffs or no? 

Texas has always had a pattern of scheduling their three non conference games. Two teams that we should beat if were Texas and then one team that should be a national power. The problem is that teams have to schedule years in advance. This year it was Louisiana Tech, Rice, and LSU.

I like that we schedule one national power or hopefully national power every year. The problem is that we need to be a national power also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Texas has always had a pattern of scheduling their three non conference games. Two teams that we should beat if were Texas and then one team that should be a national power. The problem is that teams have to schedule years in advance. This year it was Louisiana Tech, Rice, and LSU.

I like that we schedule one national power or hopefully national power every year. The problem is that we need to be a national power also.

Oh I like it as a fan but don’t complain if we lose and get left out with 2 losses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, TheContractor said:

Oregon scheduled Auburn(9-3,top 20 team) at neutral site and lost on last play of the game. They are pac12 champs with 2 loses. If committee isn’t going to reward good scheduling then teams should schedule like Baylor. Ou has 1 loss but played a 4-8 usc team OOC. Lost to 8-4. Oregon lost to 7-5 team. 
 

System is messed up and doesn’t reward good scheduling. We shouldn’t schedule LSU and Bama bc we don’t get rewarded for it.

yes it’s fun for the fans but u want to make playoffs or no? 

You should think a little more about this.

We played LSU. Prime Time TV. The nation watched. DKR sold out. Stars dotted the sidelines.

Nobody watched Baylor play SFA. Nobody cared.

We showed well against LSU. But the defense was M*A*S*H unit after that and the bottom fell out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  


×
×
  • Create New...