Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

*****GAME THREAD: Texas Tech Red Raiders @ Texas Longhorns*****

9 hours ago, Baron said:

Disagreed with but not crucified. I won't argue with you. This is a wasted season, but there are extenuating circumstances. The loss of 8 starters and all the injuries on defense definitely played a role during the season. That being said the coaching staff couldn't find their ass at times using both hands and a map. Changes should be made.

Sorry ,crucified was  too strong a term. Disagreements were not directed at me, but by reading a lot of the posts yesterday it seems that some posters instantly forgot how much this season sucked due to bad coaching. I am a realist. I love UT football and I tell it like I see it.  

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

URBAN MEYER CRITICIZES TOM HERMAN, TEXAS FOR COACHING AND 'PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/urban-meyer-criticizes-tom-herman-texas-for-coaching-and-‘player-development’/ar-BBXx4G8

Make no mistake about it. Urban Meyer is a sleazy, low-life, scummy, douchebag. 

7 hours ago, utb040713 said:

Oh good lord, you’re not a victim just because someone disagreed with you. I’d like to think that we’re all mature enough to handle discussion.

I wasn't the victim so direct your comment elsewhere or block away.

9 hours ago, Drb522 said:

So the man in charge of the entire mess gets a free pass and another shot to get it right.

1. Tom Herman is not getting a free pass. 

2. This team hit a major, unexpected bump in the road and, yes, he absolutely should get a shot to get it right.

3. The leash is definitely shorter than it was at the first of the year. 

4. What he does with his coaching staff is crucial to his future at Texas.

11 hours ago, Drb522 said:

So the man in charge of the entire mess gets a free pass and another shot to get it right.

I wouldn't say he's getting a free pass. A coach at UT has always had four years to prove himself until 
Charlie Strong, who didn't have one season where he won more games than he lost. If UT fired Herman the national media would roast CDC for giving Herman a big extension just 12 months ago and there would be plenty of stories on how screwed the UT athletics department is. A year from now Herman will either be successful and everybody's happy or were looking for a new coach.

A better reason is that I believe that Herman can still be successful at Texas because of Ed Oregon.
Coach O was terrible at Old Miss since he only won 10 games in three years and was fired.

At LSU he  inherited a top DC in Dave Aranda. Then he makes a great hire in Joe Brady and now he's contending for a NC. If Herman can make the right hires with his coaches and can show improvements in his communications skills and  then he can still be successful. 

I with you on losing confidence in Herman, however if he can keep  his good players out of the portal, hold on to a top 10 class and a RB from Tucson, and hire the right coaching then he can still succeedat Texas.

16 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

Did he say he deserved to be fired... or do you only use his quotes when you find them convenient?

Yes, he really struggled this season, but as I've said elsewhere he made a young coach mistake by taking on too many tasks... in this instance trying to also be an OC and running this offense by committee thing they had going. That prevented him from being able to see (and likely fell through the cracks in the offensive process) of having receivers behind Collin and Devin ready to step up and play.

Of everything that happened this season I firmly believe the lack of depth (not of talent but preparedness) absolutely brought the offense to a grind the last 4 weeks. He gets a chance to fix this with a new offensive direction.   

Just because I'm critical of Herman doesn't mean I think he should be fired. That's great that you have confidence in Herman. However, I agree with Herman when he said that he did a poor job and Texas fans should be angry.

5 hours ago, primal defense said:

URBAN MEYER CRITICIZES TOM HERMAN, TEXAS FOR COACHING AND 'PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/urban-meyer-criticizes-tom-herman-texas-for-coaching-and-‘player-development’/ar-BBXx4G8

Hey Urban, didn't you develop Aaron Hernandez?

2 hours ago, primal defense said:

Just because I'm critical of Herman doesn't mean I think he should be fired. That's great that you have confidence in Herman. However, I agree with Herman when he said that he did a poor job and Texas fans should be angry.

Fair enough, but everyone here has been critical of Herman. The only question has become whether or not some think he should not be given another year. When you join the online dogpile of Herman criticism it gives all the appearance of you wanting him gone as well. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Hey Urban, didn't you develop Aaron Hernandez?

But you forget, Hernandez was drafted and played in the NFL. Isn't that one of the only two defining traits he mentioned of a coach that recruits and develops talent well?

10 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

But you forget, Hernandez was drafted and played in the NFL. Isn't that one of the only two defining traits he mentioned of a coach that recruits and develops talent well?

What was the other one? Leaving jobs because of your health a few times? lol

22 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yes, Collins SHOULD be better than MIms. But he's not. 

It seems to me you're suggesting that the problem here is the perception of the fan. Hottest hire and hottest coach – until he gets to Texas. Most talent between the coasts, but can't be coached at Texas. Even when we're given presents under the tree by Baylor (two OL who hardly ever played a down here). You have a point.

I guess you'll have to refresh my memory. I do not remember any Baylor transfers to Texas. You said we took some of their players.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure Devin Duvernay got out of his LOI after the Rape U Briles incident to sign with Texas.  His brother then transferred later.

Here it is:

The recruiting journey of Devin Duvernay has come to a conclusion ... again.

Duvernay, the No. 42-ranked prospect in the Class of 2016, committed to Texas over TCU on Wednesday, ending one of the most bizarre recruitments after Baylor failed to submit his national letter of intent paperwork to the Big 12 offices.

"I'm going to Texas," Duvernay said. "I just feel like they are coming up, and feel good about Charlie Strong and his staff's plan and they are going to turn this thing around. I feel like coach Sterlin Gilbert is kind of the missing piece to help out the offense. I feel like he can add me in, and add some speed to the receiving core."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recruiting/story/_/id/16420869/former-baylor-committ-devin-duvernay-chooses-texas-reopening-recruitment

4 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

Fair enough, but everyone here has been critical of Herman. The only question has become whether or not some think he should not be given another year. When you join the online dogpile of Herman criticism it gives all the appearance of you wanting him gone as well. 

I criticize Herman, and rightfully so, but I dont think we should fire him....yet. 

I would give him 2 more years unless next year is a complete dumpster fire. 

BTW no I dont think making a bowl game is a dumpster fire but considering the preseason expectations, this year was shit and everyone knows it.  FFS we beat Georgia in last years sugar bowl game only to beat Kansas by 2 points.  Kansas State by 3 points.  Sorry but Kansas is 1-8 in conference and 3-9 overall.  They are no Baylor.  This team has played down to almost every opponent's level since the ou loss

The second half of this season wasnt good and he is the HC.  My allegiance is to the school not any HC.  Hermans arrogance probably has soemthing to do with it as well.  Im fine with him being a Mensa ass as long as this team is playing up to their potential and he didnt get it done.

2 hours ago, DMAC said:

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure Devin Duvernay got out of his LOI after the Rape U Briles incident to sign with Texas.  His brother then transferred later.

That is correct, however, Duvernay's LOI was never signed, which is why he joined the Texas class faster than the others.

Since the Devurney brothers are twins, one did not have to "transfer." CTH simply had to be willing to take him.

10 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Then some times the truth hurts even when Myer speaks.

Myers was correct that Texas has not developed players as it relates to the draft. But he conveniently, and deliberately, left out the fact that none of the Herman recruits have even been eligible for the draft yet.

Meyer is simply using his platform to get back at Herman because Meyer got caught enabling a known domestic violence abuser and he blames Herman. It is obvious to anyone and everyone except those who don't want to see it. 

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Myers was correct that Texas has not developed players as it relates to the draft. But he conveniently, and deliberately, left out the fact that none of the Herman recruits have even been eligible for the draft yet.

Meyer is simply using his platform to get back at Herman because Meyer got caught enabling a known domestic violence abuser and he blames Herman. It is obvious to anyone and everyone except those who don't want to see it. 

He’s had 3 years with the kids he didn’t recruit and inherited.   There’s absolutely no way he can’t develop players that he didn’t recruit them simply because he didn’t recruit them?  

22 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

My position is that he should be given another year.   But at the same time I have very little confidence that the ship will be righted.