Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*****GAME THREAD: Texas Tech Red Raiders @ Texas Longhorns*****

HornSports Staff

2 hours ago, Drb522 said:

Texas should have depth.  Plain and simple.  Who does that fall on?  

You really need to go back and study Charlie's last couple of recruiting classes. Absolute disasters. Next year will be the first that we have any semblance of depth. Thanks to Tom. Not in spite of. 

51 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I guess you'll have to refresh my memory. I do not remember any Baylor transfers to Texas. You said we took some of their players.

Devin DuVernay and that big OL that had to give up football started at Baylor before coming to Texas.

Just reading the last 2 pages of this thread is confusing. I was at the game today but I walked out thinking Texas had won? Was my beer spiked with LSD or something?

9 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Devin DuVernay and that big OL that had to give up football started at Baylor before coming to Texas.

Just reading the last 2 pages of this thread is confusing. I was at the game today but I walked out thinking Texas had won? Was my beer spiked with LSD or something?

What's the matter with you? Don't you know that a real Texas fan is not satisfied with beating a conference opponent by only 25? 

2 hours ago, Drb522 said:

I’ve seen enough.  I won’t even be able to get excited about the season next year.  It’s not just the W-L record that peeves me.  It’s how some of the W-L’s were gained.  Yea I get the injuries.  They happen.  Alabama lost 3 starters on D and still won 11.  Teams that recruit well have depth.  This staff hasn’t developed any depth after 3 good classes.  

If you have seen enough and can't get excited about next year then log off of site and go home. Simple. Problem solved. 

20 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

You really need to go back and study Charlie's last couple of recruiting classes. Absolute disasters. Next year will be the first that we have any semblance of depth. Thanks to Tom. Not in spite of. 

Herman's 2nd recruiting class (the first one that counts) will be juniors for the most part next season. I'm looking forward to watching them.

23 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

The Baylor staff screwed up on DevDuv's LOI. Otherwise he would have been a transfer.

27 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Incorrect. Both DuVernay and Patrick Hudson were members of the Texas 2016 class. Uquidez was, too. They were let out of their LOIs from Baylor because of the rape scandal and became members of the Texas recruiting class. Devurney's LOI was never signed at Baylor so his move to Texas was easier. No transfers. None of them ever played a down or even practiced at Baylor.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

Posters now being crucified for commenting on a season that should not have been like this. Starting to look like some of the other sites that I won't mention. Beat the worst Tech team since 1962 and all of a sudden all is well. Texas won big today as it should have. Glad the Horns won and glad my prediction was wrong.

21 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

Posters now being crucified for commenting on a season that should not have been like this. Starting to look like some of the other sites that I won't mention. Beat the worst Tech team since 1962 and all of a sudden all is well. Texas won big today as it should have. Glad the Horns won and glad my prediction was wrong.

Who exactly is being crucified?

30 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

Come on now, admit it. If you were told when we hired Herman that during his third year we would win 7 games with a chance for 8 you would be happy.:)

See the source image

53 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

Disagreed with but not crucified. I won't argue with you. This is a wasted season, but there are extenuating circumstances. The loss of 8 starters and all the injuries on defense definitely played a role during the season. That being said the coaching staff couldn't find their ass at times using both hands and a map. Changes should be made.

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

Disagreed with but not crucified. I won't argue with you. This is a wasted season, but there are extenuating circumstances. The loss of 8 starters and all the injuries on defense definitely played a role during the season. That being said the coaching staff couldn't find their ass at times using both hands and a map. Changes should be made.

Yea, nobody getting crucified here. Hell, @DMAC and I are giving each as hard a time as anybody and neither one of us are being a snowflake about or taking ourselves too seriously. 

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We have plenty of depth at WR. Why blame anyone for something that doesn't exist? 

If you’re using a third string qb as your backup RB you don’t have depth at the position.  Collin Johnson goes out, Epps is his backup.  Epps isn’t very good and gets jammed at the Los by decent db’s.  Is epps really your best option?  Who knows, the younger guys are getting much of  a chance.  Jared Wiley has been getting the bulk of time at TE, he’s a true freshman.  If the older guys can’t hack it, they’ve not been developed into where they should be.  On defense you had two DL guys thatve played a lot in Christmas-Giles and Wilbon standing around in jeans so they can transfer.  That baffles me.  Both would’ve been great depth.  Kobe Boyce has been lost in coverage since 11:00am this morning and the game is over.  He’s developed so well that Kenyatta Watson started getting time.  He’s a true freshman.  See the trend?  Texas can get the talent, they’re just not developing it, or in other words wasting it.  

51 minutes ago, Baron said:

So the man in charge of the entire mess gets a free pass and another shot to get it right.

3 hours ago, dillohorn said:

Oh good lord, you’re not a victim just because someone disagreed with you. I’d like to think that we’re all mature enough to handle discussion.

TEXAS AD CHRIS DEL CONTE, COACH TOM HERMAN PLEASED WITH DIRECTION.

AUSTIN, Texas -- Following Texas' 49-24 victory over Texas Tech on Friday, which concluded the Longhorns' regular season at 7-5, athletic director Chris Del Conte said he feels good about the overall direction of the program even if this season didn't go as well as those in the program had hoped.

The Longhorns, who came into 2019 ranked 10th in the Associated Press poll, are currently fifth in the Big 12 standings, taking a step back from where they were last season, when they went 10-4, earned a Big 12 title game berth and defeated Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I think we're all disappointed because of expectations. We all had great expectations," Del Conte said Friday. "At the beginning of the year, everybody thinks you're going to go undefeated and win a national championship. Right? So anything short of that, you're going to be disappointed. There's so many things that have went right and went wrong throughout the year, but that's what happens. ... But I'm also very fired up for our seniors, proud of how they played today, excited about the foundation that they've laid."

Del Conte was not critical of head coach Tom Herman, who has been the target of some fans' ire in recent weeks. After winning four of their first five games, the Longhorns went 3-4 down the stretch, including a loss at unranked TCU and a meager offensive showing at Baylor.

Herman himself noted that "7-5 is not our standard here," and said he'll evaluate all aspects of the program in hopes of improving the results. On Monday, two days following the loss to Baylor, Herman noted he was in "big-time evaluation mode," and said he, the staff and the players hadn't done a good enough job developing the high-level talent they've signed in the past two years (the Longhorns had back-to-back top-5 recruiting classes in 2018 and 2019).

Like Del Conte, Herman had an overall positive tone when asked about the Longhorns' outlook.

"We're going to be OK," Herman said Friday. "Things are still headed in the right direction. Obviously, we're not happy with the totality of the season. The kids are fighting. ... The future is very, very bright. But we're not oblivious to the fact that we've got to evaluate what needs to be fixed and fix it."

Del Conte encouraged observers to take a big-picture view of where the Longhorns are and consider their recent past. Texas has finished ranked in the AP poll only twice in this decade and won more than eight games only twice in the same span. The victory over Texas Tech on Friday clinched the Longhorns' third consecutive winning season, something they hadn't done since 2013. It also marked the first time since 2009 that Texas won back-to-back home finales.

"If you step back, not in the storm but take a little bit of a step and say we went 7-6, we went 10-4, we're at 7-5 right now and we're in a situation right now where we lost a lot," Del Conte said. "When was the last time we had three [consecutive] winning seasons? When was the last time we had back-to-back bowl game wins? When was the last time we had two senior classes go out on top here [by winning their last home game]? So think about that, guys. As much as we want to write about it being doomsday, there are so many great things that are happening."

When it comes to potential changes on the coaching staff, Del Conte said that will be up to Herman.

"At the end of the day, Tom is his own man," Del Conte said. "He's the coach, he has the blueprint, I understand what he's trying to do and get accomplished and when you're in the swarm you also have to step back and say, 'Hmm, let's look at it all.' We are all disappointed from our expectations; I am not disappointed about where we're at today."

Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger, who stood on the stage at the Sugar Bowl trophy ceremony in January and said, "Longhorn Nation, we're baaack!" following the win over Georgia, said he, too, believes in the direction of the program.

"Rome wasn't built in a day," Ehlinger told reporters, according to the Associated Press. "If you had told Texas fans three years ago that we would have seven wins and headed to a bowl game and had a chance to win eight, I think people would be pretty happy. ... Overall, we did a great job."

While some might be questioning Herman or wondering if changes need to be made, Del Conte is taking a much more deliberate approach.

"At the beginning of the year we thought we'd be in a different position but we are where we are," he said. "But we're in a great position when I look at the totality of the program.

"This has been a tumultuous last six-seven years for this program. Three chancellors, two presidents, four ADs, three football coaches, two basketball coaches and baseball coaches and yet this is the first time we've had three [consecutive] winning seasons [since 2013]. So at the end of the day, I see light at the end of the tunnel."

Sam Ehlinger has thrown 436 passes this season.

His backup, redshirt freshman Casey Thompson, has thrown it 12 times. Even standout receiver Devin Duvernay has completed a pass.

On Friday, Roschon Johnson — the freshman from Port Neches-Groves who signed as a quarterback but was asked to play running back in August — finally got a chance to show off his arm. The Longhorns, who were at Texas Tech’s 18-yard line, went with a trick play for Johnson in the fourth quarter. But he misfired on a pass to Brennan Eagles.

“It felt pretty good even though it didn’t turn out as planned,” Johnson said. “Coach called it up and I was just thinking, ‘Execute it.'”

Texas running back Roschon Johnson (2) scores in the fourth quarter against Texas Tech in Austin on Nov. 29, 2019. [RICARDO B. BRAZZIELL / AMERICAN-STATESMAN]
Sophomore Keaontay Ingram ran twice for 17 yards but reaggravated his ankle injury. With Jordan Whittington and Kirk Johnson inactive, Johnson and Daniel Young were UT’s lone options in the backfield. Johnson rushed for 105 yards and scored on three of his 23 carries. Young converted his eight attempts into 41 yards and a 3-yard score.

The triple-digit performance was Johnson’s second of the season. After a 121-yard game against West Virginia on Oct. 5, he said he wanted to return to the quarterback position after this season.  When asked directly on Friday if he still wants to be a quarterback, Johnson said yes.

“We’re just going to take it game by game,” Johnson said. “When the offseason comes and when the time comes, we’ll discuss everything.”

Next season, Texas will likely return both Ingram, Young and Whittington to its backfield. Five-star recruit Bijan Robinson and West Mesquite’s Ty Jordan are the two running backs committed to UT’s 2020 recruiting class.

Texas moved Johnson to the backfield when Ingram, Young and Kirk Johnson all ended up on the injury report during fall camp. He’s averaged 5.1 yards per carry and has rushed for seven touchdowns. He also has 23 receptions.

“(He’s) an athlete, he’s a baller. Put him at center (next season) for all I care,” said senior Zach Shackelford. “He’ll play well because that’s just his personality.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-texas-tech-notebook-after-100-yard-game-roschon-johnson-sees-quarterback-in-his-future/

THE LONGHORNS GO OUT WITH A REAL BANG AFTER A REAL WHIMPER OF A SEASON.

Posted November 29th, 2019

Advertisement
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
A resounding, come-from-behind 49-24 blowout of a now 4-8 Red Raiders football team, however, will do little to wash away the profound disappointment of a season gone bad as Texas limped in with a disturbing 7-5 record.
The win snapped a two-game losing streak and probably dispatches Texas to the Camping World Bowl unless both Oklahoma and Baylor reach New Year’s Six bowls and the Alamo chooses the Longhorns over Iowa State and Oklahoma State.
“Rome wasn't built in a day,” the terrific quarterback said. “If you had told Texas fans three years ago that we would have seven wins and headed to a bowl game and had a chance to win eight, I think people would be pretty happy."

The Longhorns let it all hang out on Friday.

And almost hung half a hundred on Texas Tech.

They ran creative, imaginative plays on offense. Trick plays, even.

They played all manner of freshmen on both sides of the ball like slot receiver Jake Smith and wideout Marcus Washington and cornerback Kenyatta Watson II, all of whom played well.

They dredged up a goal-line stand, recovered a couple of fumbles and had three critical fourth-down stops.

They had fun.

Kind of like they should have been doing the previous 11 games. It is relative because Texas was drubbing a defense that ranks 121st nationally as the fourth-worst Power Five unit in the country. That said, the Longhorns shrugged off an early 14-0 deficit — shades of the win over Kansas State — and scored touchdowns on four straight possessions and six of seven series.

Heck, even the Longhorn Band got a warning — two of them, in fact — for playing music when Texas Tech’s offense was lining up near the goal line. Everyone was feeling feisty on Friday.

No Thanksgiving hangover this go-around.

A resounding, come-from-behind 49-24 blowout of a now 4-8 Red Raiders team, however, will do little to wash away the profound disappointment of a season gone bad as preseason Top 10 Texas limped in with a disturbing 7-5 record.

The four losses in the last seven games will likely trigger a coaching staff shakeup by Tom Herman, who seriously needs to consider replacing both coordinators. Only he knows for sure if Tim Beck and Todd Orlando are safe, but the makeover could come as early as Sunday, and don’t be shocked if Herman looks into hiring offensive play-caller and former Red Raiders quarterback Graham Harrell from USC.

The win snapped a two-game losing streak and probably dispatches Texas to the Camping World Bowl unless both Oklahoma and Baylor reach New Year’s Six bowls and the Alamo chooses the Longhorns over Iowa State and Oklahoma State. The Texas and Liberty bowls are also possibilities.

“Orlando will be happy,” one bowl executive told me Friday after the Longhorns’ win.

That would be a nice destination for a game against Notre Dame or an ACC team. It’s just not what Texas fans all had in mind in August.

Herman shouldn’t look for Sam Ehlinger for advice. 

“Rome wasn’t built in a day,” Texas’ terrific quarterback said. “If you had told Texas fans three years ago that we would have seven wins and headed to a bowl game and had a chance to win eight, I think people would be pretty happy.”

Uh, probably not, Sam.

The Westlake junior is an outstanding quarterback who threw for 348 yards  and two scores Friday for his fourth 300-yard game this year, but I don’t believe he’s framing this disastrous season correctly. He reads defenses better than he does Longhorn Nation.

Texas Longhorns wide receiver Devin Duvernay (6) celebrates a touchdown against Texas Tech Red Raiders during an NCAA football game in Austin, Texas on Friday, November 29, 2019. [RICARDO B. BRAZZIELL / AMERICAN-STATESMAN]
Herman, whose job it is to fix things and probably by September with wholesale staff changes and maybe even philosophically, pointed to his young roster and an elite quarterback and playmakers on defense and pronounced it all OK with a program “headed in the right direction.”

In fairness, Texas has lost to only good to great teams. Save for dropping a road game to TCU, the Longhorns fell to LSU, Oklahoma, Baylor and Iowa State, four teams with a combined record of 38-6. Two of those could be among the four teams in the College Football Playoff.

Texas just thought it might be among them.

Herman acknowledged the need for major improvement after going 7-5 record despite being picked second behind Oklahoma in the Big 12 and beating only three teams (Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Louisiana Tech ) with winning records. Texas put up 49 points Friday after scoring a combined 58 points in the last three games, two of them losses.

“We all know this is not where we hoped we would be to begin the season,” Herman said, “but to send these seniors out (with a win), that was the mission from the time we met on Sunday. Obviously we’re not happy with the totality of the season, but the kids are fighting.”

OK, mission accomplished. Friday’s mission.

Good on the seniors, many of whom had a killer afternoon.

Devin Duvernay, one of the three best Longhorns receivers in history but unjustly snubbed by the Biletnikoff Award voters, dazzled again with six catches for 199 yards and a 75-yard touchdown. Defensive end Malcolm Roach, who was turned loose, had a sack and two tackles for losses. Safety Brandon Jones made 12 stops. Center Zach Shackelford blocked well for an offense that accounted for 610 yards.

“Bittersweet,” Roach called his final game at Royal-Memorial Stadium. “We really had nothing to lose. It was a lot of fun.”

But none of the spectacular play after a 14-0 deficit should obscure what needs to be done by Herman, who has never fired an assistant in five years as a head coach.

He just can’t be lulled into complacency after one good game against a bad team, albeit one that lost its starting quarterback in September and a dynamic linebacker who’s a Butkus Award finalist yet still fell to Big 12 finalist Baylor in double-overtime.

“The future is very bright,” Herman said, “but we’re not oblivious to the fact that we’ve got to evaluate what needs to be fixed and fix it.”

And that means immediately if not sooner.