Jump to content

Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

*****GAME THREAD: Texas Tech Red Raiders @ Texas Longhorns*****

Recommended Posts

This is what I dont understand from this offense...why dont they keep the foot on the pedal?  Why get conservative and predictable.  I know you have a decent lead, but the offense was best when attacking.  TT knows you want to burn clock so do something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been talking about how this offense just dies without Collin. Notice how the offense took off after that pass to Epps when down by 14 and scoreless.

To be clear, the offense shouldn't be that fragile. But once they got one pass then all the sudden things open up for Devin, Smith, etc. Playing tech also helps, but in the previous few games they've gotten smaller and eventually just shut down.

In most other aspects this game has been identical to the previous fames... slow start, defense loose early and tighter late,  ugly in places. 

Beck seems like a good guy. I'm glad to see him get a good performance in his final game. However Texas will benefit from a better offensive approach.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was harsh on the Longhorns at the beginning of this game , but they came together and just took control of the game.  Even with this win I am still not in favor of them playing in a Bowl game .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mctmatt said:

I was harsh on the Longhorns at the beginning of this game , but they came together and just took control of the game.  Even with this win I am still not in favor of them playing in a Bowl game .  

I am pretty sure even the "herman can do no wrong" crowd were down on the Longhorns when it was 14-0.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, its never ever wrong.

 

I do not agree with the no bowl game, though.  That doesnt make any sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, texbound said:

This is what I dont understand from this offense...why dont they keep the foot on the pedal?  Why get conservative and predictable.  I know you have a decent lead, but the offense was best when attacking.  TT knows you want to burn clock so do something different.

Herman, that’s why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DMAC said:

I am pretty sure even the "herman can do no wrong" crowd were down on the Longhorns when it was 14-0.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, its never ever wrong.

Great post. I agree, this isnt pretty by any means and the staff isnt out of the woods but I do think something changed on the offensive side of the ball. Change for the better. Kinda fun to watch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Ohhh... another forced turnover by this “soft” D.  25 pt lead 😎

Soft coverage has left the middle of the field open all day.  Texas SHOULD be up by that much.  They’re the far more talented team. This coaching staff gets their team to play down to their opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Great post. I agree, this isnt pretty by any means and the staff isnt out of the woods but I do think something changed on the offensive side of the ball. Change for the better. Kinda fun to watch 

Yea I have been craving this kind of effort and execution since the ou game.  Something has changed.  Even the effort is noticable which wasnt there in 1st qtr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

Beating a 4-7 team the way you should shouldn’t be the reason Herman is retained.  His body of work needs to be looked at.  That to me isn’t TEXAS.  

The point is they proved you wrong Today.... and your still upset. Beating a team there suppose to beat is great to see.  Enjoy the ass kicking Texas just handed out. Or don’t, either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

The point is they proved you wrong Today.... and your still upset. Beating a team there suppose to beat is great to see.  Enjoy the ass kicking Texas just handed out. Or don’t, either way. 

The point is they made it harder than it should’ve been.  This team is poorly coached and won by 25 in spite of poor coaching.  This team is extremely talented.  They should be sitting no worse than 9-2 with this win.  They are heavily penalized, still miss tackles, poor defensive scheme, stupid 4th down calls, etc...  

 

‘This talented team under good direction blows the doors off Tech.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drb522 said:

The point is they made it harder than it should’ve been.  This team is poorly coached and won by 25 in spite of poor coaching.  This team is extremely talented.  They should be sitting no worse than 9-2 with this win.  They are heavily penalized, still miss tackles, poor defensive scheme, stupid 4th down calls, etc...  

 

‘This talented team under good direction blows the doors off Tech.  

I see where your goin. I  gotcha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

Herman, that’s why

That tendency was the most frustrating aspects of the Mack Brown tenure. He seemed to pull off of teams and keep games closer than should have been. I believe in winning with class but when you are clearly superior, you put teams away and use the opportunity to get experience for the young guys. Then when you face injuries like this year, they have gotten game time work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Great post. I agree, this isnt pretty by any means and the staff isnt out of the woods but I do think something changed on the offensive side of the ball. Change for the better. Kinda fun to watch  

I didn't see much different other than a little better job from Epps and Eagles, which may have been due to a worse secondary. That seemed to open things up quite a bit. They also did a better job running the RPO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

The point is they proved you wrong Today.... and your still upset. Beating a team there suppose to beat is great to see.  Enjoy the ass kicking Texas just handed out. Or don’t, either way. 

I said Texas should win this one 20+ today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drb522 said:

This is a team Texas should beat by 20+
 

 

We did. And this place was a funeral most of the way. 

There's a team in there that played LSU, OU to the hilt. At some point, it comes back out. 

There seems to be a pattern with Herman, even at UH. Starts relatively strong, hits a funk, then comes back around. 

We're incredibly banged up right now. Sterns and McCollough shouldn't be playing, IMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

 

We did. And this place was a funeral most of the way. 

There's a team in there that played LSU, OU to the hilt. At some point, it comes back out. 

There seems to be a pattern with Herman, even at UH. Starts relatively strong, hits a funk, then comes back around. 

We're incredibly banged up right now. Sterns and McCollough shouldn't be playing, IMO.

 

Pick and choose the games you want to look at.  Walk off FG to beat Kansas, losing to Iowa State, Baylor, TCU and others are still in there too.  If you want to be elite as a program you can’t have a funk that bogs you down.  You just can’t.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

I think Orlando stays and they hire an offensive coordinator and maybe a few position coaches IMO

I tend to agree with this assessment.  I do think a new DB coach is needed.  I like Washington, but their DBs play too soft most of the time.  I rarely see them jam at the LOS in m2m situations.  

Also, i think Drayton needs to be retained.  He has done a great job with Romo and got him prepared the right way.  Also, Im not sure how many fumbles were lost this year by the Tbs but it wasn't many. Plus, Drayton had a bare cupboard for most of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

I think Orlando stays and they hire an offensive coordinator and maybe a few position coaches IMO

Need different coaches on the back end if Orlando stays.  Need DB’s that can look back for ball and make a play for it.  Brandon Jones has been a liability in the passing game for two years.   DB’s have to be great in coverage with Orlando running the defense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  


Franchise Quest



×
×
  • Create New...