Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

Staff Predictions: Texas Tech

USATSI_13326109_168380999_lowres.jpg

The Texas Longhorns (6-5, 4-4) look to finish the regular season with a winning record on Saturday as they host the Texas Tech Red Raiders at Darrell K. Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium.  Both teams have lost two straight and each desperately needs a win to close the regular season on a positive note.  Can Tom Herman get his team focused and play the brand of football the Longhorns are capable of? The HornSports Staff weighs in with their thoughts on the outcome of Friday’s regular season finale.

Aaron Carrara

Texas has struggled mightily this season and particularly as of late, but they are still a better football team than Texas Tech. The Longhorns and Red Raiders boast the worst two defenses in the Big 12 and I expect Friday to be a high-scoring affair.  Texas wins this game at home on Senior Day to improve to 7-5 as they head into the bowl game.

Score Prediction: Texas 41, Texas Tech 28

Nick Harris

Finally, a brutal regular season comes to an end on Friday against a similarly disappointing team in the Big 12, Texas Tech. Even in their current state, Texas has the tools to take down Tech by double digits at DKR on Friday morning as the Texas offense can have a much-needed bounce back performance before they go bowling. The big difference maker in this game is the special teams play on both sides as both teams have had game-changing special teams plays shake up their season (i.e. kickoffs against Oklahoma for Texas and blocked field goals against Kansas for Tech). I think Texas pulls this one out for the senior class and heads into bowl season on a positive note.

Score Prediction: Texas 27, Texas Tech 20

Jameson McCausland

Texas did not expect to be in this position when the season began. They are 6-5 and things have fallen apart over the past month. No matter what is said publicly or in press conferences, the players do not fully trust the coaches right now and it is something Tom Herman will have to address when the season ends.

When it comes to the actual game, I do not like this matchup for Texas. Jett Duffey torched Texas in Lubbock a season ago and the Longhorns have no identity on offense right now. Friday is Texas Tech’s bowl game, and I expect they will play loose and with nothing to lose. It will be another nail-biter, and I will be taking the Red Raiders. Texas just can not be trusted right now.

Score Prediction: Texas Tech 38, Texas 31

TFloss32

How does one analyze this game? It will be Black Friday at 11 a.m., a high chance of rain, DKR will be about 70% full, Texas has lost two in a row and couldn’t score a TD on Baylor last weekend until one second left in the game. On top of all of that, Texas has dropped the last two to Tech in Austin, one of which involved the infamous 2015 Jakeem Grant fumblerooski-like trick play. Surely, you remember that one. A match-up with the Red Raiders seemingly always provides an unpredictable, wild ride. The good news here is Texas’ defense has been playing better, but the bad news is Texas’ offense is in a major funk and playing its worst football of the year. If the defense can hold serve against a mobile Jett Duffey, I believe the key to this one is putting the ball in Ehlinger’s hands, running tempo and testing Tech’s DBs downfield. With Collin Johnson out and Keaontay Ingram as questionable, the time is now to relax and be aggressive because that’s exactly the approach Tech will be taking. I am hesitantly picking the Longhorns in this one as the home team, but a lack of urgency leading to more sloppy play could ultimately see Tech leave Austin with a Thanksgiving victory yet again.

Score Prediction: Texas 27, Tech 24.