Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm hearing the firings are not over. Was basically told the entire defensive staff will be gone before its over.

Chris Ash is main target at DC. Larry Johnson at DL. Kerry Coombs at DBs. All former Ohio State defensive coaches.

I think Giles, Hand, and Drayton are safe.  Have seen this a few times on IT as well for what it's worth.

Saw on another site where a supposed insider posted that the academic side and the money people despise Herman. If that is truly the case, they should have just eaten the money and let him go. I know it is a LOT of money but if as many people hate him as is floating around, it seems virtually impossible for him to succeed. Also makes me wonder if Texas is becoming like the Dallas Cowboys and no one will ever be able to truly succeed. It was clear that Charlie wasn't supported and now rumors of a boat load of people against Herman, it may take $15 million a year to bring in someone that will make everyone happy. At least for the first couple of seasons anyway. 

1 hour ago, NEOkHorn said:

Johnson could very well be the best available at DL. Look at the cats he has developed at OSU during his tenure: Michael Bennett, Joey Bosa, Adolphus Washington, Tyquan Lewis, Sam Hubbard, Jalyn Holmes, Nick Bosa, and Dremont Jones. That is an impressive list of defensive lineman since 2014. Doesn't even include perhaps the best yet in Chase Young. 

I will take him over Giles but I mainly don’t want Ash bc he is rumored to be “buddies” with Herman and I don’t want that at all 

10 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Saw on another site where a supposed insider posted that the academic side and the money people despise Herman. If that is truly the case, they should have just eaten the money and let him go. I know it is a LOT of money but if as many people hate him as is floating around, it seems virtually impossible for him to succeed. Also makes me wonder if Texas is becoming like the Dallas Cowboys and no one will ever be able to truly succeed. It was clear that Charlie wasn't supported and now rumors of a boat load of people against Herman, it may take $15 million a year to bring in someone that will make everyone happy. At least for the first couple of seasons anyway. 

The academic side never likes the money spent on sports, especially football... that's not anything new, or anything to worry about.

Herman isn't the politician Mack was, but Mack also likely still has his supporters out there. The fanbase was split after DKR left also, and it's not surprising that Herman has some haters. Winning will fix most things... or 20 years of losing. I prefer the former. 

4 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

I will take him over Giles but I mainly don’t want Ash bc he is rumored to be “buddies” with Herman and I don’t want that at all 

I don't think anyone wants Herman to fill his staff with just Facebook friends, but if these coaches are good in their own rights it shouldn't matter.

The flip side is having someone like Mehringer, who was brought in and apparently proceeded to undermine the program. Herman needs coaches who also demonstrate loyalty, or at least act professional if things get tough. The only way he can know that is having worked with them before. 

11 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Their only association is that they coached at Ohio State at the same time for two years. Ash was DC and CTH was OC

I certainly remember the good and bad of the Mackovic, McWilliams, and Akers years so the grumblings do not surprise me. It is clear that some poor hiring decisions were made by Herman but in my opinion, much of the current mess is the result of the PTB screwing up the AD job after Dodds and then screwing it up again with the delay after Patterson. Leadership at the top makes a huge difference. It is a main reason why OU had the smooth transition it did and we have struggled for the past decade.

Something else my sooner friends hold over my head for longer than I am comfortable with.

2 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

The same academics who complain of how successful football coaches are compensated would never give up academia to enter the world of coaching. How do we know this? Because every academic has the opportunity to do so and none of us has ever heard of any academic giving up academia to become a coach. 

Tom Herman makes about 4% of gross revenue of the area of the university he manages. I assure you, if any of the academics who supposedly despise Tom Herman (or any high level college coach) want to give up tenure, put in 80+ hr weeks, begin recruiting elite students nationally, and either be in the conversation every year for a Nobel Prize or be fired, they too would be paid 4% of their department’s gross revenues once they established a promising track record. 

I can’t think of any NCAA coach who shows up on the first of September, looks at a roster of players the school administrators have assembled for them, spends 15 hrs per week for two 14 week “seasons,” takes vacation from May until September, and has guaranteed employment for life. 

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm hearing the firings are not over. Was basically told the entire defensive staff will be gone before its over.

Chris Ash is main target at DC. Larry Johnson at DL. Kerry Coombs at DBs. All former Ohio State defensive coaches.

What is your opinion of Chris Ash?

11 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

Curious why someone should be fired because people on the academic side don't like him? You also use the phrase "if as many people hate him as is floating around". Can you define how many people we are talking about? 

28 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Curious why someone should be fired because people on the academic side don't like him? You also use the phrase "if as many people hate him as is floating around". Can you define how many people we are talking about? 

It’s nothing. Just rumors being sprung up when times are tough, we heard nothing of this last year. I think we should be excited about ash, he can coach and he holds his players accountable. We will employ a 4 man attacking front and let our LB’s make plays in the run game and our secondary is gonna be up in your face and physical. We will allow our 5 stars to be 5 stars and I’m all about it. The OC hire has gotta work tho, this is a make or break year for Herman and it’s sams senior year, we can’t waste it he’s one of the best QB’s this program has ever seen so we better win big next year. If not, Gary Patterson is coaching the team in 2021

On 11/29/2019 at 4:40 PM, TFloss32 said:

FWIW... and bear with me on this...

Each week I receive the Forty Acres Insider from Chris Del Conte.

I replied back to it the week after Iowa State with some constructive comments and suggestions about what CDC had written. My phone number was nowhere in my email.

The next day my phone rings. I don't usually answer numbers I don't recognize (Robo calls and all.), but the number was 512.471.xxxx, which i recognized as the UT exchange, so I decided to pick up.

I answer, "Hello." On the other end a man's voice says, "Can I speak to Bill?" I answer, "Who's calling... and why do you wanna speak to him?"

The other man's voice says, "Bill, this is Chris Del Conte."

I said, "Chris, give me a minute while I sit down. I'm shocked that you called me!" I then went on to say "But, I'm not that shocked knowing the type of person, or at least imagining the kind of person you are from everything I've listened to you say and read that you've written."

He went on to say how disappointed he was at the last second loss to Iowa State. I commiserated and said, "Yeah, that was a very disappointing loss... and this has been a disappointing season, especially after the Sugar Bowl win last year."

He went on to say, "Yea, I guess I need to learn to control my emotions."

I said, "No Chris, don't control your emotions. Channel them.  Guide them. That's what makes you who you are."

We went on and talked for several more minutes. It's hard to inagine that the Athletic Director of the University of Texas would pick up the phone and call me. I am not a BMD, nor even a season ticket holder. I didn't even have my phone number in the email. He had to look in the UT database, find my number... and then dial me.

I say all this because I truly think CDC is the Athletic Director Texas needs to keep advancing.

I also think CDC will not let Texas back slide.

I also think CDC will find... and give the support CTH needs to find the personnel we need, so the program advances.

Yeah, this year has been disappointing, for sure. No denying that.

I believe the important thing is not so much where we're standing now, but the direction we're moving.

I choose to believe that we're about to be moving in a really good direction, that eventually will yield less disappointment and us experiencing more of what we had hoped this year would become.

Hook 'em, Bill 🤘

Per brainiacs, no DC candidate has been offered a job. They're not sold that Ash ends up being the guy, but did confirm he's a candidate.

Said DC will be hired and will be allowed to interview whats left of the current staff to see if they will be held over or let go. DC will make all defensive coaching hires.

CDC has given CTH a blank check, told him to get who he wants and money is not an issue. I think it's interesting that the Utah DC is a candidate, since its expected Fillinger will end up there because of him. Alabama and Georgia were two other schools with DCs under consideration.

We're living in interesting times . . . .