Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

5 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Geez... how does one coach get so toxic. 

I don't know the entire backstory, but it should be no surprise that our WRs showed little development. 

I don’t know backstory waiter, would love to if/when it comes out. If it was that bad why wasn’t he fired mid season though? 

I'm hearing the firings are not over. Was basically told the entire defensive staff will be gone before its over.

Chris Ash is main target at DC. Larry Johnson at DL. Kerry Coombs at DBs. All former Ohio State defensive coaches.

24 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm hearing the firings are not over. Was basically told the entire defensive staff will be gone before its over.

Chris Ash is main target at DC. Larry Johnson at DL. Kerry Coombs at DBs. All former Ohio State defensive coaches.

I think Ash is a secondary coach, so I wonder who he would bring in to coach the LBs

24 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Hell yeah to Larry Johnson. I always remember him when he was named recruiter of the year.

I checked on Kerry Coombs and his history. He's the db coach for the Titans now.  I challenge anybody to read this article about Coombs and tell me you don't want him as our next DB coach.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/01/90563/ohio-state-kerry-coombs-top-10

33 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Without knowing anything about them I don’t really like the sound of this.

seems like comfy hires. 
being better than TOs defense is a low bar. I want the best.

Don't know enough about Ash but Johnson and Coombs certainly have the pelts on the wall as far as developing talent. If they were responsible for some of the recruiting that has gone on at OSU the past 5 years or so, sign me up for both of them real fast and in a hurry.

Just now, Bear19 said:

Without knowing anything about them I don’t really like the sound of this.

seems like comfy hires. 
being better than TOs defense is a low bar. I want the best.

That was my concern also. However, it looks like the Ohio State guys are on a different level coaching wise than the UH guys. Johnson and Coombs look like high quality hires. Ash looks like he has a good resume. They all won a NC.

i like that Herman is going after two OC that he doesn't have ties with. It looks like Harrell wants to come back to Texas. If your a Texas then LA is like a different country.

Just now, primal defense said:

That was my concern also. However, it looks like the Ohio State guys are on a different level coaching wise than the UH guys. Johnson and Coombs look like high quality hires. Ash looks like he has a good resume. They all won a NC.

i like that Herman is going after two OC that he doesn't have ties with. It looks like Harrell wants to come back to Texas. If your a Texas then LA is like a different country.

Hope you’re right. As I said in my post I really did not know anything about them. You have done more homework than I.

I know that Johnson was at Penn State when his son Larry played RB there. I think he went somewhere after his son was drafter by the Chiefs and then to OSU but not positive on that. Don't know much about Coombs except for the high number of DBs he has sent to the NFL over the past few years. As much as I hate to agree with UM, sending kids to the NFL is a really good indicator of who you are bringing in talent wise and how they are being developed. These guys are at least proven producers unlike some of the ones let go today and a few that remain. 

59 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Slightly disappointed if true, don’t want anyone that Herman is friends with. He needs to get out of his comfort zone. Search of the best available Then if Ash happens to be it, go get him. 

1 minute ago, TheContractor said:

Disappointed if true, don’t want anyone that Herman is friends with. He needs to get out of his comfort zone. Search of the best available 

Johnson could very well be the best available at DL. Look at the cats he has developed at OSU during his tenure: Michael Bennett, Joey Bosa, Adolphus Washington, Tyquan Lewis, Sam Hubbard, Jalyn Holmes, Nick Bosa, and Dremont Jones. That is an impressive list of defensive lineman since 2014. Doesn't even include perhaps the best yet in Chase Young. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Others saying Ash is not the main target..

Giles will be back...