Jump to content

Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MikeV73 said:

Interesting radio discussion a few days ago.  Was talking about Coach O at LSU being on his 3rd OC hire before winning the NC.  Doesn’t always work out initially, so maybe CTH is using this formula to get us over the hump...fingers crossed!

I mentioned this a while back (maybe on this thread which is rather long in the tooth). 

While I don't consider it a 'formula', just because a young HC has to cycle coordinators doesn't mean all is lost in the program. Some folks at lsu were pretty down on Orgeron at the time he made the changes. 

Overall Herman is just finishing his 5th year as HC, and having to fire coordinators for the first time. Orgeron made his changes sooner, but also had to deal with lackluster on field performance sooner. Had to he to do it over again... almost assuredly Herman hires a legit OC when he takes the job. He may still have brought in Orlando, but he did try to get Aranda at the time. 

The recruiting is still strong. Given time to prepare with a healthy roster, this team competed at high levels at times this season. So 2020 doesn't feel like a lame duck season that we've seen at times over the last 40 years. This team can be really good if the new staff can figure out how to compete at that level on a weekly basis. 

Plus... that 4 game slide just felt like an outlier, a weird outlier. More games and larger sample size will tell us for sure. But something weird happened over those 4 games where it's hard to explain how the bottom dropped out so completely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

I mentioned this a while back (maybe on this thread which is rather long in the tooth). 

While I don't consider it a 'formula', just because a young HC has to cycle coordinators doesn't mean all is lost in the program. Some folks at lsu were pretty down on Orgeron at the time he made the changes. 

Overall Herman is just finishing his 5th year as HC, and having to fire coordinators for the first time. Orgeron made his changes sooner, but also had to deal with lackluster on field performance sooner. Had to he to do it over again... almost assuredly Herman hires a legit OC when he takes the job. He may still have brought in Orlando, but he did try to get Aranda at the time. 

The recruiting is still strong. Given time to prepare with a healthy roster, this team competed at high levels at times this season. So 2020 doesn't feel like a lame duck season that we've seen at times over the last 40 years. This team can be really good if the new staff can figure out how to compete at that level on a weekly basis. 

Plus... that 4 game slide just felt like an outlier, a weird outlier. More games and larger sample size will tell us for sure. But something weird happened over those 4 games where it's hard to explain how the bottom dropped out so completely.  

“Formula” was my silly way to say hopefully CTH is progressing towards success.  Maybe it was you I heard on the radio....or maybe I simply retreaded you’re prior posts this evening in my brain😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s crazy how everything is so quiet.. maybe we will wait until after NSD2, maybe Randall Joyner from SMU? He’s the last available of the candidates that were initially mentioned 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Bo may turn down LSU.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that LSU reached out to Pelini to gauge his interest when Dave Aranda was considering the possibility of leaving to become head coach at UNLV back in early December.

Pelini, sources tell FootballScoop, was willing to consider the possibility but also had both family and “football family” concerns that would have to be overcome before making a move. Pelini’s youngest daughter, we’re told, is in her junior year of high school and Bo would prefer to allow her to finish high school in Youngstown before moving. Furthermore, as we reported yesterday, Bo would want assurances from Youngstown that his brother Carl, and the rest of his staff, would be retained.

https://footballscoop.com/news/an-update-on-bo-pelini/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Everyone and their dog is after him. My bet is he's just using this as a pay increase and will stay at BU. His son is on the team and will only be a junior next year. He ain't leaving. 

I wouldn't bet on that. McGuire finished second for the HC position, so I don't think he will want to hang around.

Current Bears players are pushing for Baylor associate head coach Joey McGuire to be elevated to the top spot. McGuire, a one-time head coach at Cedar Hill High School, has worked for Rhule for three seasons.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/sports/20200107/itrsquos-official-carolina-lands-baylorrsquos-matt-rhule-as-bear-players-push-for-joey-mcguire-as-next-coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, primal defense said:

I wouldn't bet on that. McGuire finished second for the HC position, so I don't think he will want to hang around.

Current Bears players are pushing for Baylor associate head coach Joey McGuire to be elevated to the top spot. McGuire, a one-time head coach at Cedar Hill High School, has worked for Rhule for three seasons.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/sports/20200107/itrsquos-official-carolina-lands-baylorrsquos-matt-rhule-as-bear-players-push-for-joey-mcguire-as-next-coach

I understand, and I could totally be wrong. But from knowing how he is as a person, I believe he waits until his son graduates. He could've jumped shipped at Cedar Hill numerous times to better hs jobs or to the college ranks, but he waited until his son graduated and then took the baylor job because his son was going to school there. Once he got the job, his son decided to walk on to the team. Plus, He's already been seen in pictures with Aranda out recruiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This has been an enjoyable experience with one more hire to go. I like the experience and resume of all the hires except one.
 
That would be Jay Valai and I like what others have said about him. He's had great references on players he's trained including Noah Cain. 
 
Ash is listed as the safeties coach and Valai is the cornerback coach. It's probably more accurate that Ash is the defensive back field coach and Valai is his assistant.

 

MEET THE NEW MEMBERS OF THE TEXAS LONGHORNS 2020 FOOTBALL STAFF

After Texas’ season-finale cemented a disappointing 7-5 regular season, it didn’t take long for Tom Herman to reconstruct the coaching staff.

Herman fired former defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer just two days after the final game of the regular season. Former offensive coordinator Tim Beck was also demoted as Texas began its nation-wide search to fill the numerous coaching jobs on both sides of the ball.

The result? A total of six new hires within the span of a month. As 2020 shapes up to be an era-defining year for Herman, let’s take a quick look at the new coaches that his job security will rely on:

 

Chris Ash, defensive coordinator/safeties

Texas announced the hiring of Ash on Dec. 17, nearly three months he was fired at Rutgers. Ash went 8-32 at Rutgers, but also has a national championship (2014 Ohio State) and four Big Ten titles as a defensive coordinator on his résumé. This will be the third time Ash and Herman are on the same coaching staff after the two were together at Iowa State in 2009 and Ohio State in 2014.

Mike Yurcich, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks

Yurcich was brought on after helping Justin Fields and Ohio State to a 13-1 record as the passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach. The Buckeyes weren’t only third in scoring offense in 2019, but they set the school’s single-season record by averaging 46.9 points per game. Yurich also spent six years with Mike Gundy when Oklahoma State averaged 38 points and 478.3 yards per game during his stint.

Jay Valai, cornerbacks

Herman decided to replace cornerbacks coach Jason Washington with Jay Valai, who was on Ash’s staff at Rutgers where he coached the cornerbacks. Valai spent the 2018 season as a defensive quality control and assistant defensive backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. He was also the defensive quality control coach at Georgia in 2016 and in 2017 when the Bulldogs made a run to the national championship

Andre Coleman, wide receivers

Texas promoted Coleman to wide receivers coach after spending most of 2019 as an analyst for the Longhorns. Coleman has experience at Kansas State as a wide receivers coach, passing game coordinator and eventually an offensive coordinator before he headed to Texas. Coleman was named the interim coach for bowl prep, but now he will officially replace Drew Mehringer.

Jay Boulware, associate head coach/tight ends

Herman hired Boulware just two weeks after Derek Warehime took the offensive coordinator job at New Mexico. Boulware spent the last seven years with Bob Stoops and Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma. He served as the special teams coordinator as well as the running backs coach for the first five seasons and tight ends coach in the last two. Boulware is a former Longhorn both as a player (1991-93) and as a student coach (1994-95) and eventually a graduate assistant (1996).

Coleman Hutzler, co-defensive coordinator/linebackers

Hutzler joins Texas after spending the last four years as the linebackers coach and special teams coordinator at South Carolina. He was nominated for the Broyles Award, which is given to the top assistant coach in the nation. Hutzler will assist Ash as a co-defensive coordinator but will also serve as the linebackers coach.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2020/01/22/meet-the-new-members-of-texas-staff/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBOOK23 said:

This is exciting lol nobody has any idea what’s going to happen 

I would not be surprised if a new DL coach wasn't announced until after NSD II.

With the vacant spot, they've filled it with Carrington until the new hire is made. Carrington is a very valuable recruiting asset.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I would not be surprised if a new DL coach wasn't announced until after NSD II.

With the vacant spot, they've filled it with Carrington until the new hire is made. Carrington is a very valuable recruiting asset.

 

I think they will definitely have the guy hired by then. Too much risk with things falling through to just have a handshake agreement. I must say it appears as though we are hiring someone who is currently employed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

I think they will definitely have the guy hired by then. Too much risk with things falling through to just have a handshake agreement. I must say it appears as though we are hiring someone who is currently employed. 

Are you trying to say Shanahan is coming home to coach the DL?  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, primal defense said:

I wouldn't bet on that. McGuire finished second for the HC position, so I don't think he will want to hang around.

Current Bears players are pushing for Baylor associate head coach Joey McGuire to be elevated to the top spot. McGuire, a one-time head coach at Cedar Hill High School, has worked for Rhule for three seasons.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/sports/20200107/itrsquos-official-carolina-lands-baylorrsquos-matt-rhule-as-bear-players-push-for-joey-mcguire-as-next-coach

Is this the dude they are talking about? C7C109BA-7B71-4877-8157-08D48E400E02.thumb.gif.1d442448b84eb33a05a0e7a398ca3c9a.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, primal defense said:

I wouldn't bet on that. McGuire finished second for the HC position, so I don't think he will want to hang around.

Current Bears players are pushing for Baylor associate head coach Joey McGuire to be elevated to the top spot. McGuire, a one-time head coach at Cedar Hill High School, has worked for Rhule for three seasons.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/sports/20200107/itrsquos-official-carolina-lands-baylorrsquos-matt-rhule-as-bear-players-push-for-joey-mcguire-as-next-coach

Hate to say I told you so.... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...