Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

3 minutes ago, UTfish said:

Why was he fired?

There's an unexpected change within the Oakland Raiders coaching staff. Granted, it's not nearly as sweeping as what took place in early January due east, where the Dallas Cowboys parted ways with Jason Garrett -- along with most of his coaching staff -- and hired Mike McCarthy, but what happened was Jon Gruden apparently had his eye on one Cowboys coach in particular throughout it all.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-jon-gruden-fires-brenston-buckner-hires-former-cowboys-defensive-coordinator-rod-marinelli/

4 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

Boulware is in, I hope it was a good choice.

He’s got some skins on the wall he’s been a good coach in that offense for a long time and through his time as either TE or RB coach he’s developed some really good players 

38 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

A Texas ex who is a great recruiter....sign me up.

But Stoops indicated Boulware’s ability to recruit is what caught his eye.

“Jay owns an impressive track record as both a coach and recruiter,” Stoops said in a statement. “He possesses a wide range of coaching experience, competing in some of the nation’s toughest conferences. He also has strong ties in the state of Texas, as well as recruiting relationships across the country that will serve us well.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/20268/ou-adds-jay-boulware-to-staff

"One of my friends used to say, recruiting is like shaving, if you don’t do it every day, it will show," he said. "Every day you have to pound it and pound it, you gotta establish relationships with not only the kid, but whoever the kid is close to. If you do that and build the relationships, you’ll come out on top on more than you will on the bottom."

A solid recruiter, Boulware is also lauded for his ability to coach special teams. His most recent coaching stop was Auburn, where his special teams units were consistently among the SEC's best during the past four seasons. He made it a focus to land quality kickers and punters during his time at Auburn.

https://www.espn.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/20463/boulware-excited-to-be-a-big-brother

8 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

seems to me if you have 3 guys, you have no guys.I want one guy to head it up and be responsible.

Completely disagree.

Think you make everyone accountable for it. I would divide up the units too. FG unit and kickoff return are nothing alike. Find out what part each coach is best at and have them control that unit.

10 minutes ago, TB14 said:

Completely disagree.

Think you make everyone accountable for it. I would divide up the units too. FG unit and kickoff return are nothing alike. Find out what part each coach is best at and have them control that unit.

This.

Have one coach oversee all of it but use a coach for the different aspects. Have an Offensive coach help with the punt teams, KO return, etc and a defensive coach work with punt return, kick blocks, and kickoff.  Hutzler would know what LBs, and Dbs would be good in coverage while Coleman and Boulware would know what specialty kids can catch a punt or kick and have the vision to excel. 

Come on home Jay.

3 hours ago, TB14 said:

Completely disagree.

I stand by what I said. I think if everyone is responsible, no one is responsible......

That said, I think we are saying the same thing. Nothing wrong with several people are responsible for different areas, but someone has to have the ultimate responsibility.

44 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I stand by what I said. I think if everyone is responsible, no one is responsible......

That said, I think we are saying the same thing. Nothing wrong with several people are responsible for different areas, but someone has to have the ultimate responsibility.

It looks like Jay had help at OU. I believe Coleman will work with the KO and punt return guys since that's his expertise.

Oklahoma brought in Shane Beamer from Georgia in the offseason to help Jay Boulware run special teams, and the move has paid off immediately.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/09/09/shane-beamer-brings-beamer-ball-to-oklahoma-special-teams/37762597/

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

I think you make one coach responsible for each facet of special teams. The ultimate choice of what to do falls to the head coach.

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

I bow to ya'lls expertise!

It just seems like good use of all the ST coaching talent we have now. Then again you could be the genius here, seeing the obvious when the rest of us are over thinking the situation. 🤨