Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

3 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Was he a good ST coordinator?

I would say yes on that.

"Coleman Hutzler is a guy that was with our staff the first year, understands and knows our special-teams system, how we teach it, our teaching progression," head coach Will Muschamp said last week in introducing his new coaches. "He'll implement it very well. He's a guy that really had a year interview, so to speak, the first year he was here.

https://www.espn.com/blog/colleges/florida/post/_/id/19016/hutzler-has-some-psyches-to-rebuild

3 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Was he a good ST coordinator?

:)

Coleman Hutzler, 31, spent the 2015 season as the special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach at Boston College. During his year in Chestnut Hill, freshman Michael Walker ranked in the top 10 in the nation in kick return average, while the Eagles were second in the nation in punt return defense, allowing just 1.66 yards per return. BC also blocked three punts on the year. Hutzler was also part of a staff that produced the nation’s stingiest defense, as the Eagles allowed just 254.3 yards per game and 24.1 percent of third down conversions and was second in rushing defense at 82.8 yards per contest.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/muschamp-adds-to-gamecock-staff/7019023#

10 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Anwar has been money on every hire so far. Without fail. 

Agree with y'all. I think Orangebloods has slipped in a lot of the recruiting coverage. But with team news they are still the best IMO. I know there are site wars but Anwar is great and Dustin is great with Basketball and Baseball.

ANDRE COLEMAN NAMED TEXAS' FULL-TIME  WIDE RECEIVERS  COACH

Remove the "interim" tag from Andre Coleman's title.

Coleman, who had served as Texas' wide receivers coach on an interim basis since Dec. 1, received a promotion from head coach Tom Herman on Monday. Coleman now is the Longhorns' full-time receivers coach.

"We are really fortunate and excited to be adding Andre to our full-time coaching staff," Herman said in a release. "He's a veteran coach who is highly respected, but working with him every day last year gave us a chance to personally see his passion for the game and love for the players. When he stepped in to coach our wide receivers, recruit and work more closely with our coaching staff and players for the Alamo Bowl, we all came away extremely impressed. Andre covers all the bases — he has a great offensive mind, is a tremendous and proven developer of players, outstanding recruiter and just an awesome person and addition to our staff."

Coleman, a Kansas State great and the team's offensive coordinator during the final year of Bill Snyder's tenure in 2018, said he was "excited to have the opportunity" to remain on Herman's staff.

"It's been a lifelong dream of mine to coach at school like Texas that's one of the perennial powers in college sports with such a great tradition and get a chance to recruit the top talent across the nation," he said. "I'm looking forward to helping these guys both on and off the field and helping our program be something our fans are proud of. I've learned so much from Coach Herman over the past year. He's one of the best football minds I've ever been around, and he's one of the best motivators I've ever been around. I'm excited for the opportunity to continue to grow and learn from him at Texas."

After taking over in his interim role last month, Coleman coached the team's receivers during practices for the Alamo Bowl. In the game — a dominant 38-10 victory over No. 11 Utah in San Antonio — the Longhorns' receivers hauled in nine passes for 165 yards and two touchdowns.

"We have a great group of guys in the receivers room," Coleman said. "They're hungry for knowledge, they want to learn and they want to get better. It's a coach's job to take kids to places they can't get to by themselves. I'm looking forward to that challenge of bringing out the best in them and watching their success. As a coach, I want to give them all the tools and all the knowledge that I have so that they can become the best players they can be, both on and off the field."

https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/andre-coleman-named-texas-full-time-wide-receivers-coach/article_6d7017f2-de3e-559a-86eb-7359cb5a5eed.html

In addition to his on-field coaching role the past month, Coleman also became one of the Longhorns' full-time recruiters in the lead up to the early signing period, which ran from Dec. 18 to 20.

After leaving K-State following Snyder's retirement in December 2018, Coleman joined Texas' staff in an analyst role in February 2019.

3 hours ago, TB14 said:

Seems like he's been apart of some good defenses. No Texas ties is a worry, but shouldn't be a big deal since I never felt Orlando was a great recruiter.

True.... but keep reminding yourself that recruiting is not and has not been the problem at Texas.  

Looks like Hutzler is co-defensive coordinator.

Gamecocks linebackers and special teams coach Coleman Hutzler is leaving after five years to coach linebackers and be the co-defensive coordinator under Tom Herman at Texas, the Longhorns announced Tuesday afternoon

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article239265998.html

We have a huge recruiting weekend coming up with a lot of big time players, I highly doubt that the staff isn’t filled out by then, all signs point to Okam on the d line but nobody knows any TE coach names, all we know is that the TE coach has to be an ace recruiter.

1 hour ago, DBOOK23 said:

We have a huge recruiting weekend coming up with a lot of big time players, I highly doubt that the staff isn’t filled out by then, all signs point to Okam on the d line but nobody knows any TE coach names, all we know is that the TE coach has to be an ace recruiter.

If we sign Okam the scramble (If you could ever call it that to begin with) should be over. Herman or Yurcich can afford to take their time on a TE coach.

19 hours ago, DBOOK23 said:

David Beatty?

11 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

I need someone to sell me on the Okam hire. He is not very energetic and I question is crootin ability, it just doesn’t excite me as much as Partridge would 

Where did you get that he's not energetic? Recruiting has not been the problem. Development has been.

Besides he's a UT all the way.:)

image.thumb.jpeg.d2656a6c5420254a71c232474af1df06.jpeg

42 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

I need someone to sell me on the Okam hire. He is not very energetic and I question is crootin ability, it just doesn’t excite me as much as Partridge would 

He helped turn Baylor’s D-Line into the best in the Big 12. Is about to have a DE drafted in first 3 rounds. They get after the qb and completely shut down our offense.  Helped flip James Sylvester from TCU which is arguably Baylor’s best signee. Collins and Princely are reportedly fans. 

1 minute ago, TB14 said:

He helped turn Baylor’s D-Line into the best in the Big 12. Is about to have a DE drafted in first 3 rounds. They get after the qb and completely shut down our offense.  Helped flip James Sylvester from TCU which is arguably Baylor’s best signee. Collins and Princely are reportedly fans. 

Just think on what he could accomplish if he was energetic.:)