Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm hearing Drayton is being courted by both the Cowboys and the Rams. Probably just comes down to money I suppose.

And no, this will not cause BR to enter a portal. This is a reward for one's efforts, not a bad thing. Even still, BR was a good recruiting job although he whiffed on many others we went all in on in the past. Drayton is a good coach and won't easily be replaced. He wasn't that great at recruiting and we'll likely score an upgrade there in that respect.

Hope they hire him. We need an elite recruiter at RB coach. 

4 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Hope they hire him. We need an elite recruiter at RB coach. 

It’s weird I don’t know how to feel. Obviously drayton is a great coach but I feel we could benefit from a better recruiter 

2 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

SHA, is your contact hearing anything about Samples coming back in some Asst Coach capacity if Drayton moves on?  Would seem like there's more room on the staff to make it happen and to add him as a Rainmaker recruiter for DFW.

I have not heard his name put out there. However, it's early in the assistant coach search. 

I don't know that Samples is any better a recruiter than some others we've had. He is well connected in the Dallas area, his dad is coach at Duncanville. I suppose if you hire him you give him the DFW area. Quay Davis was a big get Samples had for us, but then he decommitted when Samples went to SMU. Its beginning to look like Davis is heading our way again, despite Samples recruiting him for SMU.

1 hour ago, PTA said:

I like this! I like this a lot!!  He/MSU will be the $EC cockroach that Royal referred to TCU as.

I like that its one more team in the SEC West that aggy won't beat. lol

Hello 5th place in a division of a conference – that will be $75 million you idiots! lol

2 hours ago, Bear19 said:

Is this good or bad?

Ash likes him. 

“We brought in Jay Valai to bring in our new cornerbacks coach and I coached Jay for a year Wisconsin. Jay’s done a great job in his short time he’s been coaching,” Ash said on day No. 1 of spring practice a few weeks ago. “He’s been at Georgia and the Kansas City Chiefs most recently. I think he’s a rising star and I’m really excited to have him.”

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/meet-jay-valai-rutgers-new-cbs-coach?_guc_consent_skip=1578629798

Valai played safety at Wisconsin from 2007 to 2010 where he totaled 153 tackles, 1 sack, 4 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions in 48 games played. He was named All-Big Ten Second Team in both the 2008 and 2009 seasons. The Texas native was training high school and professional athletes after his college career was finished before transitioning into coaching. He worked as a defensive quality control coach at Georgia during the 2016 and 2017 seasons. This past season, Valai was a defensive quality control coach in the NFL for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Rutgers head coach Chris Ash was the defensive backs coach at Wisconsin in 2010 during Valai’s senior season. Ash remained at Wisconsin as the defensive coordinator the following two seasons

2 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

This guy seems legit in all of his interviews but it’s hard to get excited over another Rutgers coach, I’d rather keep Washington 

I can understand the concerns and certainly am not the expert on what happened at Rutgers but do wonder if it was a matter of Ash being one of those guys that can run a defense but can't run an entire program or if he just wasn't given the resources to really be successful. It seems that some programs try and operate on the cheap only to find out that at the D1 level that does not work very often. 

My big question for a hire like this is can he recruit? We certainly need coaches that can do a better job of coaching the kids up but we also need some of these new hires to be the type of recruiters that can land the elite talents with an F150 so we can save the F250s for the generational guys.😉

33 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

I can understand the concerns and certainly am not the expert on what happened at Rutgers but do wonder if it was a matter of Ash being one of those guys that can run a defense but can't run an entire program or if he just wasn't given the resources to really be successful. It seems that some programs try and operate on the cheap only to find out that at the D1 level that does not work very often. 

My big question for a hire like this is can he recruit? We certainly need coaches that can do a better job of coaching the kids up but we also need some of these new hires to be the type of recruiters that can land the elite talents with an F150 so we can save the F250s for the generational guys.😉

I take back everything I’ve said.... turns out I actually know this guy but I knew him by another name. He was a trainer in the Colleyville/Keller/ Euless area and He is known by all of us as “Wise”. This is crazy, he trained me in high school. Me and all my old buddies are freaking out lol. He will kill it in recruiting, this is an awesome hire. How freakin cool.

9 hours ago, primal defense said:

Valai played safety at Wisconsin from 2007 to 2010 where he totaled 153 tackles, 1 sack, 4 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions in 48 games played. He was named All-Big Ten Second Team in both the 2008 and 2009 seasons. The Texas native was training high school and professional athletes after his college career was finished before transitioning into coaching. He worked as a defensive quality control coach at Georgia during the 2016 and 2017 seasons. This past season, Valai was a defensive quality control coach in the NFL for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Rutgers head coach Chris Ash was the defensive backs coach at Wisconsin in 2010 during Valai’s senior season. Ash remained at Wisconsin as the defensive coordinator the following two seasons

At first glance I thought this was an interview with Mike Tomlin. Hopefully he can teach how to play the ball in the air better. I feel like a lot of our corners struggled there.

10 hours ago, DBOOK23 said:

I take back everything I’ve said.... turns out I actually know this guy but I knew him by another name. He was a trainer in the Colleyville/Keller/ Euless area and He is known by all of us as “Wise”. This is crazy, he trained me in high school. Me and all my old buddies are freaking out lol. He will kill it in recruiting, this is an awesome hire. How freakin cool.

Yes, but he's from Rutgers and that's a deal breaker.:)  There's some posters on the 24/7 who say that' this is also a great hire.

28 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

OrangeBloods saying Jason Washington will not be retained, and they also agree that Rutgers' Jay Valai is thought to be his replacement.

Likely is

13 hours ago, primal defense said:

Ash likes him. 

“We brought in Jay Valai to bring in our new cornerbacks coach and I coached Jay for a year Wisconsin. Jay’s done a great job in his short time he’s been coaching,” Ash said on day No. 1 of spring practice a few weeks ago. “He’s been at Georgia and the Kansas City Chiefs most recently. I think he’s a rising star and I’m really excited to have him.”

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/meet-jay-valai-rutgers-new-cbs-coach?_guc_consent_skip=1578629798

NM