Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

By by Baylor

1. Matt Rhule

The Baylor head coach becomes the clear-cut favorite for the Giants job. Rhule, a former Giants assistant offensive line coach (2012), hasn't been in the NFL since leaving New York, going 47-42 in seven seasons at Temple and Baylor. Rhule revitalized both programs, leading Temple to the American Athletic Conference championship in 2016, the program's first conference title since 1967. He then took the Baylor job in 2017, leading them to the Sugar Bowl in just three seasons and two seasons after going just 1-11 in his first season. 

Rhule interviewed with the Indianapolis Colts a few seasons back and was believed to have been close to landing the New York Jets job last year before a dispute with former Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan, who wanted final say on his hires. Rhule has turned around programs before, which makes him a strong fit for the Giants.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pat-shurmur-fired-ranking-the-top-five-candidates-to-become-giants-next-head-coach/

29 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Wow! Good for him.

TIM BECK EXPECTED TO BE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR AT NC STATE

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-tim-beck-expected-to-be-offensive-coordinator-at-nc-state/

Wish Coach Beck the best. While his playcalling was lackluster, he recruited very well and really developed Ehlinger. He leaves our QB room way better than when he got it.

5 hours ago, primal defense said:

Wow! Good for him.

TIM BECK EXPECTED TO BE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR AT NC STATE

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-tim-beck-expected-to-be-offensive-coordinator-at-nc-state/

Will admit he was better than Shawn Watson, but still not a great game planner or play caller...that’s what I deduced from a few years of watching games from my sofa with a beer in my hand.

28 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Will admit he was better than Shawn Watson, but still not a great game planner or play caller...that’s what I deduced from a few years of watching games from my sofa with a beer in my hand.

Your opinion would be worthless without the beer in your hand.:)

43 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Beck never really had a chance.   It’s tough to be creative when you have an absolute sieve of an offensive line to work with - which he really had 2 out of his 3 years in Austin.   

6 hours ago, TB14 said:

Wish Coach Beck the best. While his playcalling was lackluster, he recruited very well and really developed Ehlinger. He leaves our QB room way better than when he got it.

Agree.  But i maintain that our issues are execution and not play calling...

1 hour ago, MikeV73 said:

Dos XX makes me an expert.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:06 AM, bill_ut75 said:

I agree, the right coaches being hired is critical. But personally,  I'm glad we're in a bowl because the players earned it. It's a nice reward for a season of hard work. The players' families get to experience the events, too. Why deny that? Punishment? The bitter disappointment of being less than they could have been, playing in a lesser bowl, that's the punishment, but also an opportunity.

The opportunity to do again exactly what they did last bowl game. Beat a more highly ranked opponent when they were consensus underdogs going in. I also agree, the Horns don't match up well against the Utes, but we've got some good players, too.

Going down 14 in the Tech game (with their backs against the wall), then coming back and outscoring them 49-10 the rest of the game hopefully started a reversal.

I'd rather we have the opportunity to succeed, than no opportunity at all because we might fail.

Hook 'em

On 12/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, dillohorn said:

Rose colored glasses for everyone.

Here's to everyone wearing Rose Colored Glasses.

Yep... I'd rather we have the opportunity to succeed, than no opportunity at all because we might fail.

Great win for the Team, playing like a Team.  CTH showed me something. So far... 1) Top 10 Recruiting Class, 2) Hired DC & OC, 3) Kicked Ass in the Bowl,  to help 4) Close out Recruiting with Collins (hopefully) and a couple more Needs inspired by Horns Alamo Bowl Statement and 5) Finish out the rest of the staff.

Ossai = Beast

Hook 'em 🤘

12 minutes ago, bill_ut75 said:

Yep... I'd rather we have the opportunity to succeed, than no opportunity at all because we might fail.

Great win for the Team, playing like a Team.  CTH showed me something. So far... 1) Top 10 Recruiting Class, 2) Hired DC & OC, 3) Kicked Ass in the Bowl,  to help 4) Close out Recruiting with Collins (hopefully) and a couple more Needs inspired by Horns Alamo Bowl Statement and 5) Finish out the rest of the staff.

Ossai = Beast

Hook 'em 🤘

What an as* you are. 

40 minutes ago, bill_ut75 said:

Ossai = Beast

Hook 'em 🤘

Well stated. You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat.

At Texas, we attract some elite athletes, and we attract some very intelligent athletes. I loved watching Orlando’s defense, but we saw, this year, what happens when you have to insert young, inexperienced players into a complex scheme.

If you switched to LHN after the game, Herman said they had 8 bowl practices. Ossai said they learned a different defensive scheme in those 8 practices. I think it simplified the game so that the players could use their athleticism to make plays. 

If you recall what one of our National Championship players said Chizik did in 2005, he simplified the defense and allowed the players to use their instincts rather than overthink while playing. It matters.  That’s exactly what made Vince so hard to defend. 

Hook ‘em!

4 minutes ago, java said:

At Texas, we attract some elite athletes, and we attract some very intelligent athletes. I loved watching Orlando’s defense, but we saw, this year, what happens when you have to insert young, inexperienced players into a complex scheme.

If you switched to LHN after the game, Herman said they had 8 bowl practices. Ossai said they learned a different defensive scheme in those 8 practices. I think it simplified the game so that the players could use their athleticism to make plays. 

If you recall what one of our National Championship players said Chizik did in 2005, he simplified the defense and allowed the players to use their instincts rather than overthink while playing. It matters.  That’s exactly what made Vince so hard to defend. 

Hook ‘em!

I don't disagree with you at all. The unfortunate turn of events was Orlando not being able to adjust his base defense to the talent he inherited.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

I don't disagree with you at all. The unfortunate turn of events was Orlando not being able to adjust his base defense to the talent he inherited.

Biggest issue Orlando had this year was not adjusting his D once we had injuries. When we had experienced corners last year we could blitz all the time and put our corners on an island. After the injuries this year we kept running the same blitzes but didn't have the experience to make it successful. 

Ironically, I believe that Orlando is very bright and could have adjusted, but for some reason we will probably never really know, didn’t adjust. 

Did the players on D, in particular, seem like they played with a weight lifted from their shoulders last night?  They were rarely out of position, and they played with intensity and absolute abandon. It was fun to watch, though it irritated the Utes. 

Hook ‘em!

1 hour ago, java said:

Ironically, I believe that Orlando is very bright and could have adjusted, but for some reason we will probably never really know, didn’t adjust. 

Did the players on D, in particular, seem like they played with a weight lifted from their shoulders last night?  They were rarely out of position, and they played with intensity and absolute abandon. It was fun to watch, though it irritated the Utes. 

Hook ‘em!

Crazy to hear we installed a new defense 8 days ago and ran it to perfection.  Now that is the adjustment factor that Orlando simply wasn’t able to do, or didn’t do this season.  Was it really that easy to correct in a week?  Of course we did have a healthy roster for the most part for this game.  Was good to see some actual adjustments and change in philosophy to the defense for a change.  Ash, your brain is next...make it happen next season!

$1.7 miiion not too bad. That would put Yurcich in the top 5 in pay from a year ago.

Ohio State: Ohio State plans to elevate senior quality control coach Corey Dennis to quarterback coach Pete Thamel tweets. Dennis was expected to join the Colorado State staff prior to the departure of Buckeyes quarterbacks coach / pass game coordinator Mike Yurcich to Texas. Thamel adds that Yurcich will make $1.7 million at Texas.