Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

TFloss32

24 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

on the topic of coaches.....I understand that Merringer is gone?....I have read that he was poison in the locker room and that he was instrumental in tipping plays to the other bench?...I wish someone would elaborate on that unless it is internet BS...

Yes, I've heard that he was generally a prick, was insubordinate to CTH and there is an accusation that he tipped other teams off on our plays.

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

Can't have everything...I guess.

And for all of his offensive acumen and even with the Buckeyes signing two quarterbacks last week, Yurcich isn’t widely regarded as a top-level recruiter — and it’s no secret how important that quality is to Day.

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/mike-yurcich-ohio-state-buckeyes-football-offensive-coordinator-texas/

I've seen this mentioned two or three times.... any verification tho ?  Somebody got a recruiting meter on this dude or what ?  Or is this just scarlett and gray spin from the buckeye fanalysts ?

So if I understand correctly, Herman puts him in a position to succeed at Houston which leads to a stint as OC at Rutgers, then Herman brings him to Texas with the possibility of opening even bigger doors for his career and as a show of appreciation, Mehringer promptly stabs him in the back? Is he related to Kiffin?

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

on the topic of coaches.....I understand that Merringer is gone?....I have read that he was poison in the locker room and that he was instrumental in tipping plays to the other bench?...I wish someone would elaborate on that unless it is internet BS...

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yes, I've heard that he was generally a prick, was insubordinate to CTH and there is an accusation that he tipped other teams off on our plays.

I can understand him being a prick and insubordinate but tipping off your opponents what plays will be ran on purpose? That would be coaching suicide so I highly suspect that is a rumor. 

2 hours ago, LAHORN said:

Being an a-hole I’ve heard numerous times, but tipping off the other team??? This is the first I’m hearing of this. Talk about mutiny at its worst. Why the hell would he do that?? That’s death to a coach’s future so color me skeptical. 

I don’t believe this.  I have no evidence either way, I just don’t believe it.  Think about the stealth precision that would go into contacting the other team, devising a scheme to have them decipher our plays and line up in an appropriate defense before the snap of the ball. 

I don’t believe this.  

2 hours ago, dillohorn said:

Just firing him was too good for him. Need to make him never to be able to land another coaching job.

If this was true and known he would have been fired immediately without pay and “punished” to whatever extent Texas could legally muster.  

it’s not true.  

3 hours ago, primal defense said:

Can't have everything...I guess.

And for all of his offensive acumen and even with the Buckeyes signing two quarterbacks last week, Yurcich isn’t widely regarded as a top-level recruiter — and it’s no secret how important that quality is to Day.

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/mike-yurcich-ohio-state-buckeyes-football-offensive-coordinator-texas/

This is of zero consequence to me.  Texas’ problem has not been recruiting since Fred Akers was fired during the wild wild days of the $outhwe$t conference about 30 years ago.  

if he can coach, bring him aboard.  Herman can recruit.  Heck, Austin / UT can recruit itself.  

2 hours ago, Bearded said:

I've seen this mentioned two or three times.... any verification tho ?  Somebody got a recruiting meter on this dude or what ?  Or is this just scarlett and gray spin from the buckeye fanalysts ?

From my understanding he wasn't a huge recruiter back at OK St., though he did land Mason Rudolph as his primary recruiter. Not sure of how much was asked of him at OK St. as far as being out on the trail a lot. 

The guy on Bucknuts said that Yurcich is not a grinder. Some guys love recruiting while some guys love coaching. It sounds like he doesn't love recruiting.
Greg Davis wasn't much of a recruiter and recruiting wasn't a problem since  Mack and other coaches took up the slack. Ohio State has two four star QB's this year and that's because of winning.

The four teams in the championship series were all in the top 5 in total offense this year and it was similar last year. I rather Yurcich devote his time to the offense. 

YURCICH: 'I DON'T GOLF, I DON'T FISH, I WATCH FILM'

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

The stuff about Mehinger tipping plays has been debunked by every major site and many others. Nothing more than internet rumors... 

I think you went a little off the reservation with that one.

1. No, you didn't check every major site (and more) to support what you're saying.

2. Some sites have attempted to track it down while others have not bothered. But just because you didn't find anything doesn't mean you've debunked anything. Debunking means you found evidence to the contrary. That hasn't happened. "I haven't heard that" or "I don't think he would do that" isn't proof of anything.

But you're a good guy, I don't care what they say . . . lol