Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Boy do I agree with this take!

Everybody is young and everybody has injuries.  Some adjust others use it as an excuse.  

I hate to admit it, but OU was less experienced than we were and they had injuries as well. They are going to the playoffs with a totally revamped O line.....

I was listened to Randy Galloway (ex Dallas writer)on the radio and he said that if Jerry hires Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley than he will eat them alive. He said you got to know how to handle Jerry.

Urban will pay for his past sins by working for Jerry.

On Monday's First Take, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith said that Urban Meyer is "interested" in the Dallas Cowboys head coaching job and that team owner Jerry Jones is "considering it" but in no way has made up his mind on the matter. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868252-stephen-a-urban-meyer-interested-in-cowboys-job-jerry-jones-considering-it

5 hours ago, hookemhorb said:

As far as the OL, I haven't seen any improvement in the last few years. The Who said it best "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss". When are we going to break the cycle?

Man...gotta just agree to disagree here.  OL improved light years from 2017 to 2018 and started off 2019 solidly, but I agree their play dropped off the second half of the season.  I posted above, but they were put in some no win situations with pretty brutal schemes and play calls along with Mehringer possibly tipping off opposing defenses as he and Herman's relationship deteriorated.

31 minutes ago, primal defense said:
I was listened to Randy Galloway (ex Dallas writer)on the radio and he said that if Jerry hires Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley than he will eat them alive. He said you got to know how to handle Jerry.

Urban will pay for his past sins by working for Jerry.

On Monday's First Take, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith said that Urban Meyer is "interested" in the Dallas Cowboys head coaching job and that team owner Jerry Jones is "considering it" but in no way has made up his mind on the matter. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868252-stephen-a-urban-meyer-interested-in-cowboys-job-jerry-jones-considering-it

Has Jerry become willing to part ways with Jason Garrett yet? lol

5 minutes ago, Texas2725 said:

Man...gotta just agree to disagree here.  OL improved light years from 2017 to 2018 and started off 2019 solidly, but I agree their play dropped off the second half of the season.  I posted above, but they were put in some no win situations with pretty brutal schemes and play calls along with Mehringer possibly tipping off opposing defenses as he and Herman's relationship deteriorated.

I agree. When you line up and the defense knows everything but the snap count, its hard to get good results.

The Texas OL played lights out for the first part of the season. The LSU game was a good example. But when coaches catch on to your generic play calling and predictability, it ends your chance at success.

We have the talent. We have the depth now. We just need a good OL scheme.

5 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Boy do I agree with this take!

Everybody is young and everybody has injuries.  Some adjust others use it as an excuse.  

Just remember the honeymoon factor.

Everyone begged Vance Bedford to stay after year one, when he was interviewing whatever that was.  Look how that turned out.

Everyone loved the Mehringer hire.  The Orlando Defense.  Wickline.... On and on and on the merry go round goes.

Its just the norm to over inflate new coaches and worship them until 3 years of suckage then we cant wait to fire them.

We are quick to make excuses with injuries, youth, blah blah until the pain threshold wears us down then we fire them and rinse and repeat this Groundhog day shit all over again.

The truth is our OL was not improved.  Just let the results speak for themselves and ignore the fantasy hire hype.  But alas we will all do the same thing with Ash and whoever the OC is.  It just our nature as deprived fans.  Hopefully it will be different this time but leave the hype at the door. 

The saying for us should be "fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice....oh screw it I will let you continue to fool me for another decade."

Stay committed to the school and not the coaches.  

I was listening to a Buckeye podcast and they said that Yurcich is held in high regard at Ohio State  He has a great reputation as a quarterback developer and also a great reputation as a play caller even though they did not see that at Ohio State. They have talked about him calling plays.

They said that all the assistants will get a big pay raise and if Day gives Yurcich play calling duties then they will probably keep him.

1 hour ago, primal defense said:
I was listening to a Buckeye podcast and they said that Yurcich is held in high regard at Ohio State  He has a great reputation as a quarterback developer and also a great reputation as a play caller even though they did not see that at Ohio State. They have talked about him calling plays.

They said that all the assistants will get a big pay raise and if Day gives Yurcich play calling duties then they will probably keep him.

I don't know if there is enough room on the Ohio State staff for Yurcich and Kevin Wilson. Plus Day will have to give up play calling duties to keep one or both. Honestly, it's an embarrassment of riches on that coaching staff as a whole.

34 minutes ago, Baron said:

I don't know if there is enough room on the Ohio State staff for Yurcich and Kevin Wilson. Plus Day will have to give up play calling duties to keep one or both. Honestly, it's an embarrassment of riches on that coaching staff as a whole.

Now that it’s been reported I think the longer it goes on without it being official the less of a chance we have.. very similar to Harrell. I agree now with a poster from yesterday that there’s plenty of candidates left but I can’t imagine many being better than Yurcich, he is literally a perfect fit.

2 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

Now that it’s been reported I think the longer it goes on without it being official the less of a chance we have.. very similar to Harrell. I agree now with a poster from yesterday that there’s plenty of candidates left but I can’t imagine many being better than Yurcich, he is literally a perfect fit.

I'm not concerned that things aren't moving quickly. I don't think a coach involved in a championship playoff is in any hurry to jump ship, or let his players know he may be on the way out after the season. Texas can offer him everything that OSU can with one caveat that he will be THE OC here.

4 hours ago, DMAC said:

Just remember the honeymoon factor.

Everyone begged Vance Bedford to stay after year one, when he was interviewing whatever that was.  Look how that turned out.

Everyone loved the Mehringer hire.  The Orlando Defense.  Wickline.... On and on and on the merry go round goes.

Its just the norm to over inflate new coaches and worship them until 3 years of suckage then we cant wait to fire them.

We are quick to make excuses with injuries, youth, blah blah until the pain threshold wears us down then we fire them and rinse and repeat this Groundhog day shit all over again.

The truth is our OL was not improved.  Just let the results speak for themselves and ignore the fantasy hire hype.  But alas we will all do the same thing with Ash and whoever the OC is.  It just our nature as deprived fans.  Hopefully it will be different this time but leave the hype at the door. 

The saying for us should be "fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice....oh screw it I will let you continue to fool me for another decade."

Stay committed to the school and not the coaches.  

This ought to qualify for best post of the last 5 years.....Well done DMAC

9 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

DMAC is a good poster, but he can’t win the big one. 80% of his posts are good but he was propped up for years by two world class editors.  

I think we need to let him go and get someone else in here.  

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

DMAC is a good poster, but he can’t win the big one. 80% of his posts are good but he was propped up for years with two world class editors.  

I think we need to let him go and get someone else in here.  

It was just last year when everyone demanded we back up the money trucks and give me a contract extension!  😉

9 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

Yeah,but that was yesterday.  What has he done for us lately?  

I have always been a fan of DMAC, but his post have become too predictable. I know what he is going to say before he says it and I am not even a professional poster.  Sorry D, but we wish you the best on your new board wherever that may be.😂

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!