Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

19 minutes ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Since the regular season is over, and Texas still has a bowl game left, I’ll give my informed speculation on what transpires with the coaching staff...  

Texas loses Tim Beck and Derek Wareheim. 
Todd Orlando’s job is safe, but he loses a couple of defensive staff members.

A few folks have asked me about Corby Meekins..  he stays on the staff in a different capacity.

Again, nothing concrete but this is what I heard as of tonight:

So Beck, Wareheim, Meekins, 2 Defensive guys (assume both CB and S coaches). That’s 5, ok but disappointed it’s not Orlando and Stan on the list. 
5 isn’t enough imo but it’s better than 4 

Any news on Mehringer? Seems he has some ability recruiting but it also seems like he is a guy that isn't very well liked or at least that is what I thought I had read on another site. Seems like no one is speculating about him much the last couple of days.

Another question for those in the know. Other than not landing the 5 star RB, what has Drayton done to upset so many? Seems he has done a good job coaching the position this year with all the injuries and very little depth. Between a consistently hurt Ingram, a converted QB, a converted LB, and a former 3 star, it is not like the stable of backs at his disposal this year has been the same as years' past at Texas.

53 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Another question for those in the know. Other than not landing the 5 star RB, what has Drayton done to upset so many? Seems he has done a good job coaching the position this year with all the injuries and very little depth. Between a consistently hurt Ingram, a converted QB, a converted LB, and a former 3 star, it is not like the stable of backs at his disposal this year has been the same as years' past at Texas.

To me RB coach is the easiest on field coach there could be, both saying it’s no work but of all the positions, it’s the easiest. That requires RB coach to be the best badass recruiter , not just of RB position but overall. Per any report, SD, just isn’t that the past 3 years for Texas. I’m not saying he has don’t a bad job , just not a good enough job, imo. I think he also needs to be good as identifying talent and I’m most sure how good or bad SD is at that. I would not be terribly unhappy if he returned but I would like better for that coaching spot. 

1 hour ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Since the regular season is over, and Texas still has a bowl game left, I’ll give my informed speculation on what transpires with the coaching staff...  

Texas loses Tim Beck and Derek Wareheim. 
Todd Orlando’s job is safe, but he loses a couple of defensive staff members.

A few folks have asked me about Corby Meekins..  he stays on the staff in a different capacity.

Again, nothing concrete but this is what I heard as of tonight:

Have you heard anything about Mehringer? It sounds like he and the players have been butting heads all season. I would imagine he'd be in the first group to go, with Beck and Warehime.

For the outside Mehringer and Werehime are the 2 that should be out tomorrow. I think, could be wrong, Navair and Meekins provide value as off field guys, so I wouldn’t mind them restaffed as off field guys but if that means past season issues continue then don’t want them. There is a lot , IMO, that needs change if we are to be true national title much less big 12 title contenders. 

1 hour ago, tejasrulz said:

Count your blessings, we could be aggy and be stuck with Jimbo Fisher.  

True but the jury is still out after 3 years as to how much better we are. 
who would have thought 3 years ago, Rhule would have Baylor in contention if a playoff spot and a big 12 champ. 
imo, even if they win, I wouldn’t vote them in bc their non conf schedule, but that staff is better than the current Texas staff somehow 

Chip said Barry Odom is a possible at DC. He was just fired as HC at Missouri. He looks like a good hire. Also, Chris Ash.

Memphis (2012-2014)

Memphis ranked 117th nationally in total defense in 2011, the season before Odom joined staff. Three years later, Memphis ranked 28th.[10]

Odom became well known due to his performance during three years directing Memphis’ defense from 2012-14. His 2014 defense was a key component of Memphis’ 10-3 season, as his unit finished the regular season ranked fifth nationally in scoring defense (17.1 avg.) and 22nd in total defense (343.3 avg.). In his first season at Memphis, the defense improved to 50th nationally (383.6 avg.), followed by a jump to 39th in 2013 (370.7 avg.). Memphis earned a share of the 2014 American Athletic Conference title, giving them a conference championship for the first time since 1971.[1]

Missouri (2015)

After the 2014 season, Missouri needed a new defensive coordinator after Dave Steckel left to become the head coach at Missouri State. Pinkel tabbed Odom as Steckel's replacement.[10]

Odom's Tigers ranked ninth in the nation in total defense, allowing just 302.0 yards per game. Since the NCAA began tracking defensive statistics in 1978, this marks the first time in MU history that Mizzou has had a top-10 defense. Odom's defense was also ranked seventh nationally in scoring defense (16.2 avg.), seventh in pass defense (169.2 avg.) and second in tackles for loss (8.8 avg.).[1]

28 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Chip said Barry Odom is a possible at DC. He was just fired as HC at Missouri. He looks like a good hire. Also, Chris Ash.

Memphis (2012-2014)

Memphis ranked 117th nationally in total defense in 2011, the season before Odom joined staff. Three years later, Memphis ranked 28th.[10]

Odom became well known due to his performance during three years directing Memphis’ defense from 2012-14. His 2014 defense was a key component of Memphis’ 10-3 season, as his unit finished the regular season ranked fifth nationally in scoring defense (17.1 avg.) and 22nd in total defense (343.3 avg.). In his first season at Memphis, the defense improved to 50th nationally (383.6 avg.), followed by a jump to 39th in 2013 (370.7 avg.). Memphis earned a share of the 2014 American Athletic Conference title, giving them a conference championship for the first time since 1971.[1]

Missouri (2015)

After the 2014 season, Missouri needed a new defensive coordinator after Dave Steckel left to become the head coach at Missouri State. Pinkel tabbed Odom as Steckel's replacement.[10]

Odom's Tigers ranked ninth in the nation in total defense, allowing just 302.0 yards per game. Since the NCAA began tracking defensive statistics in 1978, this marks the first time in MU history that Mizzou has had a top-10 defense. Odom's defense was also ranked seventh nationally in scoring defense (16.2 avg.), seventh in pass defense (169.2 avg.) and second in tackles for loss (8.8 avg.).[1]

Someone hacked Barry Odom's Wikipedia page.

Screenshot_20191201-094133.png

Herman is taking a HUGE chance no matter which way he goes, he isn't dumb and won't bring in someone who could also replace him should the program falter, but there really aren't that many top coordinators that attend on a fast track to a HC position elsewhere. I dont see anyway he can keep Orlando, and with Hudson Card and Johnson coming down the chute, he needs a real innovative OC

16 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Anwar at Ob is reporting that an assistant coach basically back stabbed Herman during ou week. Was talking bad about Herman to Ash a former coach at Ohio State. Speculation is was Mehinger..

Mehinger is a dead man walking.

If he did, he should have been gone before now.

46 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Clay Helton was fired. I hope this won't change Bijan's mind. 

I think it helps us. Helton had a relationship with him. Next guy probably doesn't. Helton, along with Graham Harrell, were making USC somewhat appealing again. GH is now on the market. Make your move Tom.