Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

1 hour ago, zion3d said:

Great insight guys.  I am by no means a professional analyst but some of these things are common sense.  I wonder about TH and his purist beliefs.  This, "Trust in the process or your training thing."  When it fails what do you do?   Continue to do the same thing and expect a different result?  When something does not work it does not work and you have to adapt.  Being so absolute that you have figured it out leaves no room to change your destiny. 

When I spoke to CDC I told him straight up the things that have brought us to this point yet again.

1.  No accountability for the coaching or the players. 

2. No player development.

3.  Winning is really, really hard mentality is nothing more than a predicate when you lose.  Could you ever imagine hearing Saban or Meyer saying this?

4.  Just because you are a Mensa does not mean you are a great coach. 

5.  Texas fans are weary and tired of their team not being relevant.  To be the butt of all the jokes. 

6.  Fans deserve better than what they have.  There are no excuses with all of the resources afforded to the University of Texas for them to be irrelevant.

7.  The Nebraska, Arkansas, Tennessee syndrome.  Texas is moving into a sphere of becoming these programs.  year in and year out only a memory of what used to be.  I told CDC that the years of poor decisions have hurt the brand that is Texas Longhorns football.  I also told him that there is some type of sickness that creates a destructive environment at the university and someone needs to flush that shit out once and for all. 

Okay, someone talk me off the ledge here.  Give me some hope.

Just curious, when you talk to CDC, does he ever say anything back to you?

1 minute ago, Sirhornsalot said:

As much as Mack Brown enjoyed the limelight, he did not like LHN and the demands he was placed under. I can't blame CTH for feeling the same, but wow, you're the HC at Texas. You don't flip off anybody unless it's OU related.

I really question quite often Herman’s Mensa status. 

6 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

If I'm CDC, me and Tom are having a talk. And Tom is doing very little, if any, of the talking during that conversation. I don't know if I'm reading him the riot act or not, but it would be pretty damn close.

The talk would be part of my short leash. I would tell him, one more occurrence like this and you won't make it to spring football.

31 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Herman has been describe as Eric Cartman. I can see why. He better start winning if he wants to get away with crap like this.

TEXAS COACH TOM HERMAN FLIPS OFF LONGHORN NETWORK TV CAMERAS DURING NATIONAL SIGNING DAY COVERAGE

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/SEC/2019/12/18/tom-herman-texas-football-coach-flips-off-longhorn-network-cameras-during-national-signing-day-2020/2687279001/

What the hell is wrong with TH. This is awful. What a way to display the University to parents, CDC,  recruits, students, and the rest of the sporting world. Maybe he should have been fired after all. I'll just come out and say it. I just don't like the guy and this just put my dislike of him over the top. What a total classless act this was. Head coaches just don't do this.

21 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Mensa status is really given just from taking a test and there's several different ones that they go by.

"Candidates for membership of Mensa must achieve a score at or above the 98th percentile on a standard test of intelligence (a score that is greater than that achieved by 98 percent of the general population taking the test)."

It takes good, quick analytical thought process,  but judgement (apparently) is not factored into the equation. 

17 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Just because you're smart in one area doesn't make you smart in others. I used to work with some guys who had PHD's in their field that probably didn't know the difference between a Phillips or flathead screwdriver. 

Be that said, really dumb move on Herman's part and yes, his boss will be "talking" to him. I see a public apology coming soon.

Sounds about right.

TEXAS FOOTBALL COACH TOM HERMAN HAS TO START ACTING LIKE THE ADULT IN THE ROOM

For a coach who tried so hard to be the one voice of the University of Texas football, and to control both the narrative and the message, it is appropriate that he is the one who continually butchers both.

How many times has a head coach, like Herman, stressed to his players the importance of being aware of their surroundings, both on and off the field?

Would he condone a couple of middle fingers at cameras from an assistant or a player?

And does Herman realize he’s coming off a 7-5 season where he lost to Baylor and TCU? That in three years he’s had two seven-win teams in Austin?

At the age of 42, because mostly of timing, Herman was handed the keys to one of the highest profile jobs in the nation and he is blowing it. He has to know he can’t do this.

So, if you’re keeping score, this is a head coach who mocked and mimicked a college player in the 2017 Texas Bowl. During the Longhorns win over Missouri, Herman strutted and acted like Mizzou quarterback Drew Lock.

It’s one thing for a college player to strut, and quite another for his coach to do the same thing. One looks like a college kid having fun, while the other looks like the old guy at the club trying to look cool when he doesn’t realize everyone is laughing at him.

In 2018, Herman came out and challenged Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy in the waning seconds of The T Boone’s upset win over No. 6 UT in Stillwater. On this, both coaches acted a fool.

Gundy was trying to make sure no fight took place, and Herman ran out and ... looked tough and quite cool.

Later that season, Herman openly complained about West Virginia quarterback Will Grier flashing the “Horns Down.” Herman’s valid point about taunting penalties was lost when it sounded like whining.

But ever since winning the 2018 Sugar Bowl, Herman appeared to be growing into the job, and holding up despite losing so many quality players to injury, and losing so many games.

Now he has fired both coordinators and reshuffled his staff in an effort to prevent another 7-win team. He may act dumb, but he’s been in the college game long enough to know better.

The University of Texas is Tom Herman’s dream job.

Act like it.

https://www.star-telegram.com/article238498543.html

Just now, NEOkHorn said:

There are some that speculate that the frontal lobe is developing at a much slower rate these days in men. Most develop between 25-28 according to some research. Maybe it is 45-48 for Mensa. 

Let's be honest guys. We as men do stupid crap all the time. My wife is still waiting on me to fully mature and I'm in my low 60's. B)

18 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Let's be honest guys. We as men do stupid crap all the time. My wife is still waiting on me to fully mature and I'm in my low 60's

True, very true, but most of us that do stupid crap (including me) don't get paid $5M/yr to represent the University of Texas, travel into HS  players homes to meet with their parents... saying what every parent wants to hear, then behave (on f'ing video) like someone the parents wouldn't want their son hanging out with.

It'll take a Mensa to explain his way outa this one. Gonna be interesting...

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Just curious, when you talk to CDC, does he ever say anything back to you?

Okay I suspect you believe I am lying about this.  The answer is yes he did talk back to me.  The most important thing that he did was listen to my concerns.  He told me that they were going to fix this shit and the constant in and out of head coaches needed to stop.  When I told him about the "winning is really really hard" thing he said, you know they did a survey and found out the Texas has more rival than any other college team.  I looked it up and he is correct.  11 to be exact.  Here is the link to what I believe he was talking about. 

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2019/07/19/a-study-says-the-university-of-texas-is-a-rival-to-the-most-teams-in-the-country/

But yes, while was engaging I did get the feeling that he was trying to gloss over the failures of this season.  Maybe that's my fault because my expectations were so high.  He did encourage me to keep the emails coming which I also thought was impressive. 

Believe me I am not any one special.  Just an old country boy living out my life.  I am not a grad from UT nor do I know anyone from UT.  This has always been my team from the time I was a little kid watching the longhorns with my dad on the old tube TV.  What I thought to be speaking in tongues was not that at all but rather my dad's screaming at the TV for the longhorns to win.  

Here is the initial email.

Todd Tomplait
Mon 11/18/2019 10:23 AM
I will not say the usual things that most FAN-ATICS would say regarding the situation with the Texas Football programs.  I will tell you the fan fatigue is a real thing and you could say that I am one of those people.  Texas Football is not solving the world's problems and is not the most important thing in my life but supporting a team through more than a decade of mediocrity is getting a little tiring.  I remember back at 2 and 3 years old watching those white helmets with that longhorn on the side as my father would shout at the old tube TV for the longhorns.  Great times!    

Most will offer opinions on what needs to happen for Texas to rise from the ashes of irrelevance that it has been in for so long.  I believe that everyone at Texas wants to win.  The issue then becomes how do we do that.  In my humble opinion it comes down to identifying what it is that is keeping you from achieving your goals.

Once again I can only speak of what I hear and see coming from the coaching staff.  It seems that there is absolutely no responsibility taken for the poor and at times embarrassing performances on the field.  I think Coach Herman is an admirable man but he does have a degree of arrogance that is off putting.  We all make mistakes and to a degree we all have opinions as to what needs to happen for success.  The truth is all of that is left up to Coach Herman and I cannot imaging that type of pressure. 

I believe that the longhorns have the needed talent but that alone cannot get you to your desired destination.  I can see that player development and coaching strategy are the two targets that are not being met.  I hate to say this but there are times that I am embarrassed to be a longhorn fan with the way the university is represented by the football program.  Being honest and forthright about the failures of the the program by Coach Herman would be a start.  Most all of the responses from the fan forums whether the person is pro Coach Herman or not acknowledges the hubris and arrogance from the face of the program. 

Saying that "winning is really, really, hard" is something that most of the college world finds laughable.  To say that, "I will never say we got out coached", is something that any coach in American would find absurd.  Is winning too hard for Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson?  It is almost said as a predicate as to why we might lose any given game.  What coach, what player, what AD would ever think that he cannot be out coached, out played, or out directed?  The truth is when there is completion there is always a winner and a lose.  This is a fundamental and elementary truth.  Those types of statements seems to be contrived and are said from either pride or lack of self awareness.   

Once again I have no doubts that all of the staff including you have a deep desire to win but that does not happen by desire alone.  Whomever it is that sits in the high seat of authority has to have the capability to see that through.  I really believed that Coach Herman was that man maybe because I wanted it to be true so we could gain back our prominence in the college football world.  But alas we are nothing more that what most perceive to be a washed up program with a great tradition and following. 

I will asked the question of you Sir.  How is it that a University with more resources than 99% of all other others be below average for such a long time even to this very day?  I think that self awareness if always a good thing.  It can show you you both the positive and negatives of your choices which can better guide you to success.  This might be what needs to happen with The University of Texas sports department.  So far nothing else has worked.

The fans want to be proud of their team.  They want to win so bad that it hurts.  The fans lives with all of the failures of the longhorns over the past few years.  Nick Saban and Urban Meyer of which I have no personal affinity for their respective personalities are non the less great coached that have won everywhere and at the highest and most elite levels.  Do you think that Coach Herman is that kind of man?  Is yes, then where is the problem?  Could it be the staff around him?  Both of these question become irrelevant if we were winning and in the conversation.  We are not, so they are pertinent and must be answered.  The fan fatigue is palpable.     

ALl of the Texas Longhorn fans across this country that have been true through success and failure deserve to have a team and university that they can be proud of.  What is it that all of you are doing to make sure that it happens?

Kind regards,

The weary "Hook'em fan"

Sent from Outlook

1 hour ago, RickyFlair said:

Mental Intelligence and Emotional intelligence are vastly different. Tommy may have a high IQ but he has the maturity of an intolerable 9 year old boy.

He is in desperate need of an ass whipping (literally)

42sdn1S.gif

29 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Admittedly, I have no clue who would be the best OC we could get. But what about Kevin Johns, the OC at Memphis? Appears to have a damn good resume. 

Norvell called the plays from everything I’ve seen.  

41 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Good gosh, yes.

The video looks like creepy surveillance or Ring video, and I was half expecting one of the coaches to steal a package. 

I do enjoy the recently coined term “porch pirate”....but it is overplayed on local news hyping up their stories😎

When Herman opened his Early Signing Day press conference, he started it with an explanation of what happened.

“Obviously before we start, I do want to apologize for something that ended up on live television this morning,” Herman said. “We were joking, quite frankly, about my first experience riding into the Cotton Bowl Stadium on the bus and the warm welcome you receive in the Red River game. I think I told you guys as well. When it occurred, I honestly had no idea — I wasn’t aware that the camera in the room was on live television. It certainly had nothing to do with Longhorn Network, Signing Day or anything. Again, regardless, it was poor judgement on my part and I do apologize for that.”

Herman was referencing a story that he told this fall.

“I think I’ve told the story, looking out the window and literally seeing this elderly lady that had to have been 80 years old, going double bird (indicating) to the Texas bus,” Herman said in October. “Then literally next to her was a couldn’t have more been than eight-year-old boy going double bird (indicating) to the Texas bus. It speaks to the intensity of the rivalry, that it crosses a lot of different generations.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/12/18/21028219/tom-herman-double-bird-longhorn-network-video-texas-longhorns-early-signing-day

2 hours ago, zion3d said:

Okay I suspect you believe I am lying about this.  The answer is yes he did talk back to me.  The most important thing that he did was listen to my concerns.  He told me that they were going to fix this shit and the constant in and out of head coaches needed to stop.  When I told him about the "winning is really really hard" thing he said, you know they did a survey and found out the Texas has more rival than any other college team.  I looked it up and he is correct.  11 to be exact.  Here is the link to what I believe he was talking about. 

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2019/07/19/a-study-says-the-university-of-texas-is-a-rival-to-the-most-teams-in-the-country/

But yes, while was engaging I did get the feeling that he was trying to gloss over the failures of this season.  Maybe that's my fault because my expectations were so high.  He did encourage me to keep the emails coming which I also thought was impressive. 

Believe me I am not any one special.  Just an old country boy living out my life.  I am not a grad from UT nor do I know anyone from UT.  This has always been my team from the time I was a little kid watching the longhorns with my dad on the old tube TV.  What I thought to be speaking in tongues was not that at all but rather my dad's screaming at the TV for the longhorns to win.  

Here is the initial email.

Todd Tomplait
Mon 11/18/2019 10:23 AM
I will not say the usual things that most FAN-ATICS would say regarding the situation with the Texas Football programs.  I will tell you the fan fatigue is a real thing and you could say that I am one of those people.  Texas Football is not solving the world's problems and is not the most important thing in my life but supporting a team through more than a decade of mediocrity is getting a little tiring.  I remember back at 2 and 3 years old watching those white helmets with that longhorn on the side as my father would shout at the old tube TV for the longhorns.  Great times!    

Most will offer opinions on what needs to happen for Texas to rise from the ashes of irrelevance that it has been in for so long.  I believe that everyone at Texas wants to win.  The issue then becomes how do we do that.  In my humble opinion it comes down to identifying what it is that is keeping you from achieving your goals.

Once again I can only speak of what I hear and see coming from the coaching staff.  It seems that there is absolutely no responsibility taken for the poor and at times embarrassing performances on the field.  I think Coach Herman is an admirable man but he does have a degree of arrogance that is off putting.  We all make mistakes and to a degree we all have opinions as to what needs to happen for success.  The truth is all of that is left up to Coach Herman and I cannot imaging that type of pressure. 

I believe that the longhorns have the needed talent but that alone cannot get you to your desired destination.  I can see that player development and coaching strategy are the two targets that are not being met.  I hate to say this but there are times that I am embarrassed to be a longhorn fan with the way the university is represented by the football program.  Being honest and forthright about the failures of the the program by Coach Herman would be a start.  Most all of the responses from the fan forums whether the person is pro Coach Herman or not acknowledges the hubris and arrogance from the face of the program. 

Saying that "winning is really, really, hard" is something that most of the college world finds laughable.  To say that, "I will never say we got out coached", is something that any coach in American would find absurd.  Is winning too hard for Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson?  It is almost said as a predicate as to why we might lose any given game.  What coach, what player, what AD would ever think that he cannot be out coached, out played, or out directed?  The truth is when there is completion there is always a winner and a lose.  This is a fundamental and elementary truth.  Those types of statements seems to be contrived and are said from either pride or lack of self awareness.   

Once again I have no doubts that all of the staff including you have a deep desire to win but that does not happen by desire alone.  Whomever it is that sits in the high seat of authority has to have the capability to see that through.  I really believed that Coach Herman was that man maybe because I wanted it to be true so we could gain back our prominence in the college football world.  But alas we are nothing more that what most perceive to be a washed up program with a great tradition and following. 

I will asked the question of you Sir.  How is it that a University with more resources than 99% of all other others be below average for such a long time even to this very day?  I think that self awareness if always a good thing.  It can show you you both the positive and negatives of your choices which can better guide you to success.  This might be what needs to happen with The University of Texas sports department.  So far nothing else has worked.

The fans want to be proud of their team.  They want to win so bad that it hurts.  The fans lives with all of the failures of the longhorns over the past few years.  Nick Saban and Urban Meyer of which I have no personal affinity for their respective personalities are non the less great coached that have won everywhere and at the highest and most elite levels.  Do you think that Coach Herman is that kind of man?  Is yes, then where is the problem?  Could it be the staff around him?  Both of these question become irrelevant if we were winning and in the conversation.  We are not, so they are pertinent and must be answered.  The fan fatigue is palpable.     

ALl of the Texas Longhorn fans across this country that have been true through success and failure deserve to have a team and university that they can be proud of.  What is it that all of you are doing to make sure that it happens?

Kind regards,

The weary "Hook'em fan"

Sent from Outlook

Well, your post(s) lead us to believe that you actually talked to CDC face-to-face. Is that what took place or did you just send him an email and he replied to you?