Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

9 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

His offenses the last 3 years he was 40-45% run.  That’s not too unbalanced

He still scares me. Had he ever ran an offense that went 50/50 I' would have been more comfortable. The Memphis OC just put two RB's into the NFL, I think. I know Pollard was drafted and I think the other one went before him.

1st Memphis RB drafted was Darrell Henderson, 3rd round

On 12/15/2019 at 2:01 PM, 83Dee said:

Ash is great news.  He very well may have ended up as tOSU’s DC had we kept on “searching.”  

This is who I wanted after reading the philosophies of each “candidate.”  Aggressive 4 man front!  Since I publicly said he was my choice - I commit to not griping for 2 1/2 games....

You are a man among men, Dee. 

Hook ‘em!

btw, to whoever said it, I am not the resident optimist, I see what happens every game; however, I think some people should say what they have to say, and forego beating that poor nag into dog food.  

43 minutes ago, Baron said:

He still scares me. Had he ever ran an offense that went 50/50 I' would have been more comfortable. The Memphis OC just put two RB's into the NFL, I think. I know Pollard was drafted and I think the other one went before him.

1st Memphis RB drafted was Darrell Henderson, 3rd round

I can’t speak for the RBs he had at UNT, but they lost 3-4 RBs this season at USC and still managed about 45% running and a decent showing.  That’s with an outstanding WR group too.  It’s not gonna matter anyway. He’s not coming.  We’ll prolly have to send Fenves and Del Conte to beg the wr coach from eastern Oklahoma CC to beg him to take $800k for a 3 year deal and hear about how good he is

4 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

I can’t speak for the RBs he had at UNT, but they lost 3-4 RBs this season at USC and still managed about 45% running and a decent showing.  That’s with an outstanding WR group too.  It’s not gonna matter anyway. He’s not coming.  We’ll prolly have to send Fenves and Del Conte to beg the wr coach from eastern Oklahoma CC to beg him to take $800k for a 3 year deal and hear about how good he is

I'm sure the eventual coach will have a higher experience level than a directional school in an obscure state. :D

3 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Okay, at the risk of derailing this thread, I'll ask this question. What does Casey Horny have to do with Major Applewhite?

In short, nothing. But the University didn't have a problem with hiring a pawn and defender of Briles' rape culture but will take a hard stance regarding rehiring Major? I don't understand...

Just now, North Texas Golfer said:

Weird situation. Nothing wrong with is performance as an OC but gets fired? Other sites are saying that the ND players were pretty much going to revolt if he wasn't fired. 

Sounds similar to Texas and the Mehringer situation.

Seems like there are a few different names floating around throughout the day. Next thing you know, someone will throw out Kellen Moore's name in the event Garrett gets let go. Anything of real substance or just more of the pay sites throwing stuff against the wall attempting to claim they had the scoop first?

Who of the recent names between Yurcich, Long, Gleason, Lashlee, the Memphis guy brings the most all around (play calling, experience, success, recruiting) to the table?

13 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Weird situation. Nothing wrong with is performance as an OC but gets fired? Other sites are saying that the ND players were pretty much going to revolt if he wasn't fired. 

Ehhh ND isn’t known for lighting up the scoreboard 

2 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Seems like there are a few different names floating around throughout the day. Next thing you know, someone will throw out Kellen Moore's name in the event Garrett gets let go. Anything of real substance or just more of the pay sites throwing stuff against the wall attempting to claim they had the scoop first?

Who of the recent names between Yurcich, Long, Gleason, Lashlee, the Memphis guy brings the most all around (play calling, experience, success, recruiting) to the table?

I’d say Lashlee

Here are some interesting thoughts from a poster on OB. I'll try to be as succinct as I can.

Herman doesn't want someone to come in with a completely different system because he doesn't think THE power spread is broke.

But he does realize that HIS power spread system is broke and that he needs someone to dedicate 100% of his time to make the right adjustments to game planning, play-calling, and coaching.

And that Herman is realizing that the power spread is not the problem with the offense. But rather that the implementation of the power spread as we sit here today is the problem. 

25 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Garrett will be let go short of a super bowl appearance. And no way boys have the consistency for that. They might be able to get up for one game but they aren't winning 3 and they aren't beating the Saints in NO. Just not going to happen. So I'd be talking to Moore now. Not saying he's the one, but problem he Cowboys have is more their OLine is a shambles. Cowboys put up over 40 this week and Cooper only had one catch. How do I know. He's supposed to be my WR1 in fantasy. 

1 hour ago, NEOkHorn said:

Kellen Moore's name was thrown around in a live chat. That's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Here are some interesting thoughts from a poster on OB. I'll try to be as succinct as I can.

Herman doesn't want someone to come in with a completely different system because he doesn't think THE power spread is broke.

But he does realize that HIS power spread system is broke and that he needs someone to dedicate 100% of his time to make the right adjustments to game planning, play-calling, and coaching.

And that Herman is realizing that the power spread is not the problem with the offense. But rather that the implementation of the power spread as we sit here today is the problem. 

From what I've read, Herman doesn't think that the offense is broken.

He wants to find someone to take the play calling duties off of his hands, so he can become a CEO coach.

9 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I had to ask my wife what "succinct" means:)

Chip Long would be an interesting candidate and the dude is a young up and comer.  He had a sit down with Saban last season.  This would not be a bad hire from his apparent ability to call plays, but it makes you wonder what the deal was at ND for Chip to let him go with 32 wins under his belt in 3 years. 

As I understand it, the head ball coach liked to stick his nose in the play book.   

On the surface, the numbers would suggest this is a risky move. After all, the Irish went from 42nd nationally in scoring (31.4 points) last season to 13th (37.1) this year.

That included a final push that saw them average 43.8 points in wins over Duke, Navy, Boston College and Stanford. Among those teams, however, only Navy was ranked (barely).

Dig deeper, and you’ll find a nagging trend for Notre Dame against Power 5 opponents. After ranking 23rd in scoring (32.0) in 2017, Long’s first season, the Irish dropped to 27th in 2018 (30.9) and again to 30th this year (30.6).

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/notre-dame/notre-dame-insider/2019/12/14/notre-dame-football-coach-brian-kelly-moves-chip-long/2651410001/

10 hours ago, wadster said:

Garrett will be let go short of a super bowl appearance. And no way boys have the consistency for that. They might be able to get up for one game but they aren't winning 3 and they aren't beating the Saints in NO. Just not going to happen. So I'd be talking to Moore now. Not saying he's the one, but problem he Cowboys have is more their OLine is a shambles. Cowboys put up over 40 this week and Cooper only had one catch. How do I know. He's supposed to be my WR1 in fantasy. 

Sadly, Cooper was my #1 last week too and his poor performance went a long way toward ending my season.

42 minutes ago, primal defense said:

On the surface, the numbers would suggest this is a risky move. After all, the Irish went from 42nd nationally in scoring (31.4 points) last season to 13th (37.1) this year.

That included a final push that saw them average 43.8 points in wins over Duke, Navy, Boston College and Stanford. Among those teams, however, only Navy was ranked (barely).

Dig deeper, and you’ll find a nagging trend for Notre Dame against Power 5 opponents. After ranking 23rd in scoring (32.0) in 2017, Long’s first season, the Irish dropped to 27th in 2018 (30.9) and again to 30th this year (30.6).

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/notre-dame/notre-dame-insider/2019/12/14/notre-dame-football-coach-brian-kelly-moves-chip-long/2651410001/

Reading between the lines of some quotes from Brian Kelley makes you wonder if you really want to consider this guy. Doesn't sound exactly a great endorsement.

There is something about the offense that I think was missing.  We were pretty good for the first few games but then started tanking.  I think we have the talent, that's not the issue.  IMO it is more to do with play calling and predictability.  When I know what they are going to run before the pay starts that's pretty bad. 

There also were these lulls with the offense, almost like there was some sort of twilight zone disconnection happening on the field.  3 and out over an entire period or two.  It seems that once the defense had keyed in on what we were doing the offense would just fold with no type of adjustment to the defense being ran. 

We also tried milking the clock time and time again because we were too scared to run the normal offense.  I hate when coaches make calls not to lose instead of making calls to win. 

In the end I do think that making adjustments, play selection, and consistency were the main issues that we saw with the offense.  The two over arching issues that I discussed with CDC was, 1.  Player Development (That is a coaching issue.)  2. O and D Schemes (Also a coaching issue)  

Anyone feel free to correct me.