Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

It’s ok guys. Doesn’t matter if we lose another stud WR, this time in conference. CTH knows that his power spread offense is still the way to go. He knows that implementing an offense that could use a stacked WR room to open up the run game, that’s too easy. Geniuses like to take the harder routine. Let’s run it twice, get into 3 and 6 or more routinely and then throw it. You gotta run to set up the pass. This is just utter craziness. And it’s so bad it makes it seem like I’m actually against the guy as the head coach. I want the guy to succeed, it just seems like I want that more than he does. I mean he really is too smart for his own good. Pride goeth before the destruction. Herman is gonna either prove me & a lot of people wrong with this stubbornness & need to keep his offense. Or he’s gonna fall on his face & maybe take a life lesson he so needs from it. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Not sure if you’re serious... would this even be allowed?

You gotta wonder if he and his family would be willing to be put under the scrutiny of the media concerning the past.

22 minutes ago, DBOOK23 said:

Can’t blame him? His offense is the reason why he’s been successful you can’t expect him to give up on it

But the Texas job is not the Houston job. You have to be able to turn the O and D over in this job. Now GH may not have run what TH wants to run, but then why pursue him in the 1st place. 

20 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

I don’t believe the OC job was offered to Harrell.
Herman is not going to change his offense, Period. 
Of course it’s way more important to have “Alignment” than a good offense. 

I think RickFlair has it right. I don't think GH was ever offered the job. 

I was told the conversation between the two couldn't have gone better. I suspect CTH wanted to wait until after NSD-1 to announce. USC stepped up, about as well as they could, and now he's hearing from everyone about how badly he's wanted and needed there.

The reason I don't think an offer was made is because Texas is prepared to pay $2 mil+ per year and no sane person walks away from that, especially in comparison with USC's 1.25 plus Cali taxes, plus Cali COL and the sidewalk dung.

I believe I could have lived with the situation until I could prove myself to the boss for the money we are willing to spend.

I think more likely what happened is negotiations took place via phone, control of offense became an issue, both are calling their bluffs.

CTH could circle back to this but is probably exploring other options. Hopefully CDC gets to spend a minute with him and encourage him to let go a little.

Tom Herman’s power spread is played out. It’s not gonna get us where we need to be to win this conference, let alone a NC. He swears we are gonna be the most physical team, power run, QB power, blah blah blah & that way of running is offense isn’t gonna work. He should have had a that ahh ha moment that it wasn’t best when playing LSU. LSU is up 6 with 2:34 remaining in the 4th. It’s 3 & 17. Now history & personality shows that in this situation Tom Herman thinks I’m up 6, I will trust my defense. He would run the ball or throw a screen. Pick up 5 or so yards and punt. An innovative, pass leaning OC takes the shot. Gets a TD and puts the game away. Takes the pressure off the their defense & put it on our offense. That’s good play calling. That’s “alignment”. That’s not what Herman wants apparently. It’s unfortunate. 

7 hours ago, hornsups said:

Tom Herman’s power spread is played out. It’s not gonna get us where we need to be to win this conference, let alone a NC. He swears we are gonna be the most physical team, power run, QB power, blah blah blah & that way of running is offense isn’t gonna work. He should have had a that ahh ha moment that it wasn’t best when playing LSU. LSU is up 6 with 2:34 remaining in the 4th. It’s 3 & 17. Now history & personality shows that in this situation Tom Herman thinks I’m up 6, I will trust my defense. He would run the ball or throw a screen. Pick up 5 or so yards and punt. An innovative, pass leaning OC takes the shot. Gets a TD and puts the game away. Takes the pressure off the their defense & put it on our offense. That’s good play calling. That’s “alignment”. That’s not what Herman wants apparently. It’s unfortunate. 

It's not played out and Lashlee can call an offense that jives with this Turkeys philosophy!  Too bad we're not hearing this name...

49 minutes ago, DBut82 said:

Why isn't Major Applewhite being considered for the OC position?  Seems he would be a perfect fit imo....am I missing something?

While at Texas as an assistant coach under Brown, Applewhite had an affair with a student trainer (i.e. a boss having an affair with someone under him) and wasn't fired. Bev Kearney (women's track coach) did something similar, was fired and sued the university claiming gender and race discrimination. It was settled.

Based on the above, the chance of Applewhite ever being hired by Texas is .001%.

Here's why I think the herman not giving up reins of offense rumors started (which is absurd btw). Air raid offense tend to do a large chunk of their practices on air, meaning practicing live situations without a defensive body on the field. When there is a team period in practice air raid offenses tend to go as fast as humanly possible to practice their tempo. This makes it extremely hard on the defense to get a good practice, teach correct alignment, and fix blown assignments. Sounds to me like Herman knows a good offense is a dime a dozen (especially in the big 12 and so are good offensive coordinators), but he needs an elite defense if he wants to win and compete for conference and national championships, which is the expectation at UT. To get an elite defense, especially a new coordinator, the defense needs time to teach and to learn. On elite teams, offense and defense compliment each other. Just my opinion as someone who deals with this stuff on a daily basis.Sorry this is long and Hope this helps. 

Soooooo....CTH hires a special teams coordinator from Baylor, who comes from a culture of systematic rape, and also defended Art Briles, but Major Applewhite (who is probably the best hire to run Herman's offense imo, you know "alignment") is not an option due to past transgressions? Ok...

13 hours ago, hornsups said:

Yes a name being thrown out there is Courtney Messingham... and guess what! Herman worked with him at ISU. I can’t wait for that guy to be the hire and people swear Herman didn’t just fire friends & hire new friends. Some tell Herman there’s a UT alum who’s pretty good at this whole offense thing in the NFL. Maybe go talk to him, get some ideas on guys he think can do well. Go get his own Joe Brady. Or hire Messingham. Tell everyone how great the power spread is and then tell us how winning is hard when we lose more games because he’s too stubborn to give up the offense. 

I refuse to believe that Courtney Messingham is being considered for the OC position. Hell, I refuse to believe that his name has even come up in any conversation about the OC position. 

20 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Here's why I think the herman not giving up reins of offense rumors started (which is absurd btw). Air raid offense tend to do a large chunk of their practices on air, meaning practicing live situations without a defensive body on the field. When there is a team period in practice air raid offenses tend to go as fast as humanly possible to practice their tempo. This makes it extremely hard on the defense to get a good practice, teach correct alignment, and fix blown assignments. Sounds to me like Herman knows a good offense is a dime a dozen (especially in the big 12 and so are good offensive coordinators), but he needs an elite defense if he wants to win and compete for conference and national championships, which is the expectation at UT. To get an elite defense, especially a new coordinator, the defense needs time to teach and to learn. On elite teams, offense and defense compliment each other. Just my opinion as someone who deals with this stuff on a daily basis.Sorry this is long and Hope this helps. 

Man, it sure is nice when someone who actually knows what they are talking about brings some rational thinking to the discussion. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

as always...I appreciate the insight you bring to the board.I like seeing what an actual coach reads into a situation -vs- what a couch rider (which most of the rest of us are) "thinks" he is bringing.

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Or it's just a post you agree with versus one you don't...

Actually, it is not surprising that someone would find insight from a COACH to be rational and sensible. I would take "Coach'emup"'s insight on such things more than anyone else on this board, especially the ones who just parrot the 9.95 line.

People tend to agree with posts that make sense and not agree with those that really don't. Nothing complicated here.