Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

11 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

Dude, the 9.95ers are still calling him the top priority as a loss.  I’m sure your podcast is extraordinary...  this staff is a hoot.

Herman messed this up.. It is on him. Oh well at least December 2020 will be fun...

Maybe Watson is available.😂

Seriously though, I would think there are several people that could call plays and be upgrades to what we had last year. As much as I like Leach in press conferences, he is not the only coaching tree that has high quality offensive coaches. 

Maybe, Harrell didn't want to leave USC because he sees a HC possibility with Helton on a very hot seat or maybe he couldn't stomach working at Texas bc of his Tech ties, or maybe USC overpaid or maybe he just does not like Herman. It could also be that Herman gave Harrell an escape door to allow GH to save face bc Herman is a big enough man to take the heat.  All of this is speculation and I am admittedly not as tied in as many of you but it sure seems like everyone is quick to blame Herman without all of the facts. Hopefully its like one of the pays used to always say and the "real" story will come out at some convenient later date.

I don’t know why every time we need to make a hire it drags out and turns into a crap show. Malzahn needed a OC and within probably 24 hours Chad Morris was named.....and alot of other schools do these things and you hardly hear about it happens so fast. We drag it out and it appears dysfunctional. It may not be that way but it sure appears that way. Everybody will so speed doesn’t matter that we have to get the right hires but I’m from the school of thought that coaches keep a list of potential hires for probably every position. They don’t wait until they need someone and it’s the first time they have thought about it. It’s time to quit missing and get this right. 

5 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

I don’t know why every time we need to make a hire it drags out and turns into a crap show. Malzahn needed a OC and within probably 24 hours Chad Morris was named.....and alot of other schools do these things and you hardly hear about it happens so fast. We drag it out and it appears dysfunctional. It may not be that way but it sure appears that way. Everybody will so speed doesn’t matter that we have to get the right hires but I’m from the school of thought that coaches keep a list of potential hires for probably every position. They don’t wait until they need someone and it’s the first time they have thought about it. It’s time to quit missing and get this right. 

Hopefully the University President doesn't have to hop on a learjet in the middle of the night to convince someone at Tulsa to come coach at Texas this time.

6 minutes ago, Bearded said:

Hopefully the University President doesn't have to hop on a learjet in the middle of the night to convince someone at Tulsa to come coach at Texas this time.

Let’s hope not. LOL. I do feel better with CDC as the head man. Hopefully these type of things are going to soon be behind us.

What a time!! Sam and an older, more experienced defense will get us 8 win next year. Maybe 9 wins with a 10th in the bowl game. We then have a young quarterback without much experience in 2021. We likely win 7-8 games again in 2021 but people will be saying give it another year when the QB is older. We win 8-9 again with a possible 10th in a bowl game. Rinse & repeat. We are f##ked & stuck in a perpetual loop of good but not NC level if Tom Herman doesn’t change his smug, know it all, Mensa ways or if CDC doesn’t fire him. The offense was statistically good but anyone watching saw the way it stalled for quarters & a half at time. I’m pretty sure there were opponents saying they knew what was coming. We don’t feature more than 3 players really the RB, the slot, and then another receiver. If one isn’t available the offense looks bad. Also defenses seem to key in on that as well.  We have so much talent at WR, why not allow for those guys to torment defenses and then let that open up lanes for a RB to eat as well. But what does I know? I’m just someone who watched games and knew when a f##king screen was coming. Or that they were running QB power by the formation. If a non DC like me knows that. Just imagine what those DC’s are thinking?  Can’t wait for the lackluster OC hearing followed by CTH saying how good the OC is, how aligned he will be, 1-0, & how innovative he will be. Then we see the same terrible play calls. Gonna be exciting. 

2 minutes ago, David Horn said:

Major would be a good hire.

Football wise, yes he would be, but I understand that many will never let him live down having an affair with a student trainer. 

20 minutes ago, hornsups said:

What a time!! Sam and an older, more experienced defense will get us 8 win next year. Maybe 9 wins with a 10th in the bowl game. We then have a young quarterback without much experience in 2021. We likely win 7-8 games again in 2021 but people will be saying give it another year when the QB is older. We win 8-9 again with a possible 10th in a bowl game. Rinse & repeat. We are f##ked & stuck in a perpetual loop of good but not NC level if Tom Herman doesn’t change his smug, know it all, Mensa ways or if CDC doesn’t fire him. The offense was statistically good but anyone watching saw the way it stalled for quarters & a half at time. I’m pretty sure there were opponents saying they knew what was coming. We don’t feature more than 3 players really the RB, the slot, and then another receiver. If one isn’t available the offense looks bad. Also defenses seem to key in on that as well.  We have so much talent at WR, why not allow for those guys to torment defenses and then let that open up lanes for a RB to eat as well. But what does I know? I’m just someone who watched games and knew when a f##king screen was coming. Or that they were running QB power by the formation. If a non DC like me knows that. Just imagine what those DC’s are thinking?  Can’t wait for the lackluster OC hearing followed by CTH saying how good the OC is, how aligned he will be, 1-0, & how innovative he will be. Then we see the same terrible play calls. Gonna be exciting. 

I do not agree with you. Let people coach and have some time to get recruits that we need. We had so many people hurt this year. Who know do you want coaching the team. I wish we would give Tom Herman a 10 year contract. That way the alums will not screw things up again by whining about the coach. Let the coaches coach. You really do not know much except how to whine and complain.

1 hour ago, TexExSpur said:

TH rocking the boat?  

Go get Lashlee and let him call the f’n offense, Tom.

I said this last week, too. Lashlee is from the Malzahn tree and the offense is based on a strong run game. Lashlee and Hand have a connection. Lashlee is the guy I want. Make it happen, Herman. 

5 minutes ago, David Horn said:

I do not agree with you. Let people coach and have some time to get recruits that we need. We had so many people hurt this year. Who know do you want coaching the team. I wish we would give Tom Herman a 10 year contract. That way the alums will not screw things up again by whining about the coach. Let the coaches coach. You really do not know much except how to whine and complain.

A 10 year contract?? Now I don’t know if this is really a poster or a troll or bot lol. Tom has gotten the recruits he needs, they just haven’t been developed. The only person screwing things up is CTH. Who do I want coaching the team?? Idk. I’m not again Herman coaching if he could prove he was actually able to get out of his own way. Someone made a good point once, the team doesn’t belong to the coaches. They are here to help. The team belongs to the players and the fans. Tom isn’t doing anything to show he doesn’t think the team belongs to him and must be ran by him and no one else. As far your stupid comment. Trust me, I know plenty more than just whining & complaining. The great University of Texas made sure of that. Thanks. 

I think Harrell can be a good OC, but there is a reason the Leach offense is called Air Raid. Too much passing and not enough emphasis on the run game. Hire Lashlee and you get the Malzahn offense. Hell, hire Kendall Briles and you get the Art Briles offense. Just kidding. Do. Not. Hire. Briles. I want an offense that spreads the defense out and uses the power run game. But Lashlee separated himself from Malzahn because Malzahn is a control freak and would not let Lashlee do the job he was hired to do. Herman might be the same way. 

6 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Here's a name I'm hearing . . . Sean Gleeson (Okla St OC). Fast riser, very innovative.

TFB is saying look at Courtney Messingham (Kan St OC). Nothing spectacular, IMO.

Lashlee could be a good option.

If Herman hires Sean Gleeson then I would say that’s a good course correction & maybe he’s not throwing away his “dream job”. 

I have that video clinic saved and watch it at the start of every spring to begin preparing the DBs I coach. I have no idea if he will be successful as the DC at Texas (really hoping he is) but I do know that his techniques work and have made our DBs much better.