Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

33 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

any word on when he is coming on staff? If it is right away then he has time to implement many alignment changes. That 4 man front could come against Utah . When you think about it, there is as much time to get ready for the Bowl game as there is in spring football.

Likely no, he wants the entire winter/spring to do his stuff and likely won’t get the staff filled until after bowl games, we will likely be looking for a elite LB coach 

I DO NOT have a problem with the hire of Ash as DC. I have a HUGE problem that Herman did not search for a DC. I have never been fully on the Herman train(1 foot on, 1 foot off). 2nd foot is at the edge now. This is  an unacceptable coaching search. I’d this is the “search” he is doing then he might as well say, CDC, make my hires. 

3 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

I DO NOT have a problem with the hire of Ash as DC. I have a HUGE problem that Herman did not search for a DC. I have never been fully on the Herman train(1 foot on, 1 foot off). 2nd foot is at the edge now. This is  an unacceptable coaching search. 

Good gosh... He either hired to slow or too quickly. 

Coaches are doing coaching searches *all the time*. The idea that he didn't have an idea who he may want halfway through the season is silly. They know more than most what's going to happen after a season is done.

Ash may have wanted time to see if another HC gig came up, or if someone would money whip him... who knows. 

28 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Good gosh... He either hired to slow or too quickly. 

Coaches are doing coaching searches *all the time*. The idea that he didn't have an idea who he may want halfway through the season is silly. They know more than most what's going to happen after a season is done.

Ash may have wanted time to see if another HC gig came up, or if someone would money whip him... who knows. 

I didn’t mention anything about slow or fast. Good resumes don’t just fall on ur desk every time. Go out and search for the right person. He best candidate for ur job. He didn’t hire Ash mid season. U have the opportunity when ur Job is on the line, 

and “who knows” comment is stupid. ASS U ME 

if u don’t have a problem wih the way this search was conducted, say so and shut up or add something positive to the convo 

12 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

I didn’t mention anything about slow or fast. Good resumes don’t just fall on ur desk every time. Go out and search for the right person. He best candidate for ur job. He didn’t hire Ash mid season. U have the opportunity when ur Job is on the line, 

and “who knows” comment is stupid. ASS U ME 

if u don’t have a problem wih the way this search was conducted, say so and shut up or add something positive to the convo 

Something positive to the conversation like "ass u me"? Classy... especially after making the huge assumption it was a "comfort hire".

Besides, technically what I did was "speculation". Get your insults right.

What do you think the "hiring process" for a coach is anyway. You think Herman goes out to Indeed and looks for open spots... maybe a call to ZipRecruiter?

As I pointed out in my earlier positive contribution - these coaches already know each other. The search is talking to other coaches, which they already do all year long. Past that it's just about timing, money, and opportunity.

In response to:

I have a HUGE problem that Herman did not search for a DC. I have never been fully on the Herman train(1 foot on, 1 foot off). 2nd foot is at the edge now. This is  an unacceptable coaching search. 

Then later add:

add something positive to the convo 

If anyone wanted an example of the proverbial idiom of "the pot calling the kettle black," there it is. 

3 hours ago, TheContractor said:

I DO NOT have a problem with the hire of Ash as DC. I have a HUGE problem that Herman did not search for a DC. I have never been fully on the Herman train(1 foot on, 1 foot off). 2nd foot is at the edge now. This is  an unacceptable coaching search. I’d this is the “search” he is doing then he might as well say, CDC, make my hires. 

Exactly how do you know that Herman did not search for a DC? Please give us real facts and not what you think or what it looks like to you. 

11 hours ago, TheContractor said:

I have a HUGE problem that Herman did not search for a DC.

Go out and search for the right person. 

if u don’t have a problem wih the way this search was conducted, say so...

Ok… I will.
I don’t have a problem with the way this search was conducted.

Why not? I don’t have enough information to legitimately have a problem with the way this search was conducted.

I don't know:

• How CTH conducted the DC search.
  • All the candidates CTH spoke with.
  • If CTH did not “Go out and search for the right person.”
  • All the individuals in CFB CTH spoke with to gather opinions (pro and con) of all possible DC candidates to ensure the best decision was being made. 
  • If CTH settled on Ash right from the get go, but let the search run on just to give the impression that an extensive search really was being conducted, when it wasn’t. 

I do know:

• CTH and Ash worked together for the Ohio State 2014 National Championship season. Not a bad result. That seems like a good thing to me.
  • This DC hire (due to recent failings) is the most important hire CTH has made as a HC.
  • CTH’s butt is on the line. He’s got a helluva lot more riding on this hire than any of us do.
  • CDC had to give final approval to CTH’s DC recommended hire. I personally respect and trust CDC.
  • Neither CTH, nor CDC have lost my respect (yet) for their CFB judgement, but I do reserve the right to change my mind based on events.
  • I don’t have a crystal ball.

Therefore, given what I don’t and do know, that’s why I don’t have a problem with the way this search was conducted.

I also do not know if Ash is a good DC hire for Texas.

However, I do choose to believe Ash will be a good DC hire for Texas, until events prove otherwise.

Hook ‘em 

OB and IT basically reporting the same thing. Herman really does not see anything wrong with the offense and is reluctant to give up full control. OB is saying do not be surprised if the OC is not a big name now. It is saying that the hold up with Harrell is Herman does not want to give up control of the offense... I predict if this is really Herman's thoughts we will be hiring a new coach in November 2020. 

2 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

It's not a bad hire, but comes across as a safety net type hire.  Stepping back down to DC is not for everyone.  I think both hires are essentially done and have been for several weeks.  Handshake type deals, ya know.  

Ash will be fine.  

OC is not done..