Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

TFloss32

Hiring Chris Ash seems like they just pretended to do a DC search so it didn't look like Herman was doing the comfort-friend hire even though Herman knew that's who he was hiring all along. Risky move. It will look before if the rumors of Larry Johnson & Kerry Coombs coming as well are true. And the LB coach hire has to be a home run one. If not Herman will probably win 8 games next year just off Sam & a more experienced defense. And that should be all we need to see to know he needs to be fired.

6 minutes ago, hornsups said:

Hiring Chris Ash seems like they just pretended to do a DC search so it didn't look like Herman was doing the comfort-friend hire even though Herman knew that's who he was hiring all along. Risky move. It will look before if the rumors of Larry Johnson & Kerry Coombs coming as well are true. And the LB coach hire has to be a home run one. If not Herman will probably win 8 games next year just off Sam & a more experienced defense. And that should be all we need to see to know he needs to be fired.

Who would have been better? And why?

6 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Who would have been better? And why?

Who would be better - we don't know. We don't know really if Ash will be good or not. I'm not saying he will be the wrong guy. I'm just wondering how legit the DC search was. It seems, everyone from the beginning said it would be Ash. We don't really know who was considered or not. Or if many interviews occurred. Then before really needing to announce anything we hire the DC search is over & it's the guy most said it would be. And that guy happens to be another Herman buddy hire who has been said to be a Herman/Meyer type personality. That means another coach who will be tough for players to get along with at DC with that same type of personality at HC. Hopefully the talks of his personality being like Herman/Meyer aren't true.

Why? - I like that he is a simplistic over chaos type DC. I just read how he did against spread defenses without his Ohio State defense that was really well coached & it was pretty atrocious. We have the talent but they haven't been taught well. That's why I mentioned the other coaches. If Herman/Ash don't hit home run hires at those position coach spots, we will have another year with a bad defense. Less ridiculous blitzes but still a bad defense. Again I hope we make great hires to fill out those spots.

Couple thoughts that come to mind;

1. Every year Saban hires HC retreads as analysts and they seemingly end up as his OC or DC the following year much to the excitement of Bama fans. They also seem to experience considerable success in those roles. Earlier this year there was a lot of enthusiasm for the way that Herman was following the Saban model and expanding the analysts positions at Texas with experienced coaches. Now that he has possibly promoted one of them, it is a "comfort" hire. Maybe Ash is the best candidate. It may also be that Ash, Scalley, and Odom were all in the running equally and the other two chose different options.

2. If Urban, Herman, and Ash are the same type of coach and that is a bad thing then it makes me wonder how the OSU staff ever succeeded to the level they did. Having the HC, OC, and DC all be horses' rears is a recipe for disaster, not a NC. 

Just some stuff bouncing around my head.

1 hour ago, hornsups said:

A DC who coached a defense to a MNC? How many other candidates out there can say that?

We know CTH talked to Scalley and Odom. Neither are a good fit and have different goals for themselves. We could have money-whipped them both, but they didn't want to be here.

Hiring Ash is neither risky or short-sighted. He's legitimately the best DC candidate available out there right now.

By the end of your post, you have CTH being fired. You've talked yourself right into a depressed outlook.

I wouldn't be so quick to try to predict failure. 

23 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Couple thoughts that come to mind;

1. Every year Saban hires HC retreads as analysts and they seemingly end up as his OC or DC the following year much to the excitement of Bama fans. They also seem to experience considerable success in those roles. Earlier this year there was a lot of enthusiasm for the way that Herman was following the Saban model and expanding the analysts positions at Texas with experienced coaches. Now that he has possibly promoted one of them, it is a "comfort" hire. Maybe Ash is the best candidate. It may also be that Ash, Scalley, and Odom were all in the running equally and the other two chose different options.

2. If Urban, Herman, and Ash are the same type of coach and that is a bad thing then it makes me wonder how the OSU staff ever succeeded to the level they did. Having the HC, OC, and DC all be horses' rears is a recipe for disaster, not a NC. 

Just some stuff bouncing around my head.

Couple replies come to mind:

If you’re wanting to respond & criticize something I’m saying at least reply to it.

1. Saban hires those guys to come in to coach a well oiled machine. They built a foundation years ago. Stocked their coffers with talent year after year. They hire an analyst & that person gets to scheme & plan with players who’ve been taught be a previous coach well & developed. And people were excited about Herman hiring all of those analysts Herman hired but he didn’t really use them. He didn’t use RPO’s from Fedora. No use of any specialty the analysts brought. Maybe Ash is the best candidate. But again we don’t know that he wasn’t the only real candidate. If Herman only focused on 3 names & one was the person many said would be the DC from the start, that could be problematic. 
  2. Same type of coach? Or did I say same personality. Players will take a lot of crap when they are winning games. But you are kidding if you don’t think having a person many think is a douche at HC and a guy who is like that as DC can rub players the wrong way. Look at Mehringer and what he did to the WR room. Look at the way players feel about coach O. He’ll look at the way coaches are willing to stay to be with that guy. It matters.

Just some stuff bouncing in my head. 

28 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

A DC who coached a defense to a MNC? How many other candidates out there can say that?

We know CTH talked to Scalley and Odom. Neither are a good fit and have different goals for themselves. We could have money-whipped them both, but they didn't want to be here.

Hiring Ash is neither risky or short-sighted. He's legitimately the best DC candidate available out there right now.

By the end of your post, you have CTH being fired. You've talked yourself right into a depressed outlook.

I wouldn't be so quick to try to predict failure. 

He won a NC as a DC. That’s cool. Herman won a NC as an OC and look at his play calling this past season. Things change. And Ash is coming into a different league than the Big 10 they played in. If winning a NC at the coordinator position is the end all-be all, we shouldn’t be wanting Harrell so much. Also was Lincoln Riley wasn’t a NC OC but that worked out. How do you know that he was the best DC candidate available? There’s no way you know that, that’s your opinion. And read guy, I said idk if Ash is the right guy. And you don’t know either, though you pretend to know things. I said if they don’t hit home runs on the position coaches with good teachers, Herman will win 8 games next year. And if that occurs he should be fired.

And wow some floated a rumor that OSU was looking at Ash and that means it’s true and it’s proof Ash is the best DC? Stop that nonsense.

Also guess what, two things can be true. Ash is a comfort/friend hire & it still be a good DC. But again that doesn’t mean he is the best hire. Only time will tell.

And on that note, it’s Sunday. I got fantasy football playoffs to deal with. You guys keep telling us how right y’all are. I’m gonna be enjoying my Sunday. Good day.

Just now, hornsups said:

Couple replies come to mind:

If you’re wanting to respond & criticize something I’m saying at least reply to it.

1. Saban hires those guys to come in to coach a well oiled machine. They built a foundation years ago. Stocked their coffers with talent year after year. They hire an analyst & that person gets to scheme & plan with players who’ve been taught be a previous coach well & developed. And people were excited about Herman hiring all of those analysts Herman hired but he didn’t really use them. He didn’t use RPO’s from Fedora. No use of any specialty the analysts brought. Maybe Ash is the best candidate. But again we don’t know that he wasn’t the only real candidate. If Herman only focused on 3 names & one was the person many said would be the DC from the start, that could be problematic. 
  2. Same type of coach? Or did I say same personality. Players will take a lot of crap when they are winning games. But you are kidding if you don’t think having a person many think is a douche at HC and a guy who is like that as DC can rub players the wrong way. Look at Mehringer and what he did to the WR room. Look at the way players feel about coach O. He’ll look at the way coaches are willing to stay to be with that guy. It matters.

Just some stuff bouncing in my head. 

Not a response to you and certainly not criticism of your opinions, simply a couple of observations. If you took it as a personal attack then so be it.

As for the personality/type of coach part, I can only speak from experience and that is that the coaching style of every coach I have every known and worked with has been driven by their personality. If Ash and Herman have the same personality then I would imagine that there will be other coaches on staff to balance things out.

You are correct that Bama is a well oiled machine but it took time to get there. It seems that be we are Texas, it is expected to happen quicker than everywhere else. In my opinion, we are seeing just how far down the program has been allowed to sink with the last few Mack years and the Patterson/Charlie debacle. Just my opinion.

Few if any aside from Herman and CDC know if Ash was "the" candidate or one of a handful in actual consideration. Until they say differently, I will choose to believe he is the best candidate. If it costs Herman his job then as the knight said, "he chose poorly".

17 minutes ago, hornsups said:

He won a NC as a DC. That’s cool. Herman won a NC as an OC and look at his play calling this past season.

While trying to be a head coach. This is why you don't see HC's being the OC. It's too much. You noticed, but didn't bother thinking about the why.

Things change. And Ash is coming into a different league than the Big 10 they played in. If winning a NC at the coordinator position is the end all-be all, we shouldn’t be wanting Harrell so much.

It's not and no one has said it was. You defeated a point nobody has attempted to make. Winning a NC normally indicates a good coach. Nothing more, nothing less. lol

Also was Lincoln Riley wasn’t a NC OC but that worked out. How do you know that he was the best DC candidate available? There’s no way you know that, that’s your opinion. And read guy, I said idk if Ash is the right guy. And you don’t know either, though you pretend to know things. I said if they don’t hit home runs on the position coaches with good teachers, Herman will win 8 games next year. And if that occurs he should be fired.

Winning a NC is normally a good indication that you have a good coach. I only posted because it seemed you were "pretending" to know things. The evidence doesn't support you and I pointed that out.

If CTH is learned to have been a serial killer in a former life, he should be fired. lol. How's that? lol

And wow some floated a rumor that OSU was looking at Ash and that means it’s true and it’s proof Ash is the best DC? Stop that nonsense.

I think it was a bit more than a rumor. Why in the world would they not look at him? They won a national title with him at DC.

Again, nobody said OSU wanting Ash was proof that he is the best DC. But it sure looks like it was Ohio State's best choice and then Rutgers liked him so much they gave him the keys to the HC's office.

Also guess what, two things can be true. Ash is a comfort/friend hire & it still be a good DC. But again that doesn’t mean he is the best hire. Only time will tell.

And on that note, it’s Sunday. I got fantasy football playoffs to deal with. You guys keep telling us how right y’all are. I’m gonna be enjoying my Sunday. Good day.

If I were Herman, I would be comforted by this hire. But "comfort" would not be my primary motivation. Winning would be. Buddy Ryan would be the best hire, but that can't happen either. Try to enjoy your Sunday. This is a good hire and you'll figure that out eventually.

5 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Ash is great news.  He very well may have ended up as tOSU’s DC had we kept on “searching.”  

This is who I wanted after reading the philosophies of each “candidate.”  Aggressive 4 man front!  Since I publicly said he was my choice - I commit to not griping for 2 1/2 games....

We are running TCU’s defense with Texas talent. This is awesome news

2 hours ago, hornsups said:

I bet most if not all head coaches have a short list of asst coaches they would hire if necessary.  And 80% of the time they know them and have worked with them in the past.  “From scratch” coaching searches are almost always fabrications.  

We agree on the LB coach.  Important decision indeed!!