Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

34 minutes ago, java said:

Off topic, but have all of you fellows finished all of your Christmas shopping?

My last purchase came two days ago, and the tamales that I ordered were delivered today. I ordered 4 dozen & wish I had ordered 6. 

On-line shopping has certainly helped this working woman finish Christmas shopping in a timely manner. 

I think that I am going to top off my grandson’s  Christmas with tickets to a Longhorn basketball game for the 3 of us. Hoping to catch a baseball game after. 

Hook ‘em!

Where are you getting your tamales?

Okay, most of us are uneasy with all of the radio silence coming from the 40 acres.  The coy, I got this schtick from TH does not make me feel good about this whole situation.  For me, I am putting a lot of my confidence in CDC.  I wrote him an email after the TCU loss and could not believe that he called me a couple of hours later.  That impressed me.  He wants Texas to be back on top of college football and I think he wants to do everything within his power to avoid having to fire Herman next year. He said that the head coach continuity was critical to him and that the revolving door needs to be closed. That's my take on what he said.  It makes me think that Herman will not make this decision alone and if CDC is good with the hires maybe the current state of affairs is not as bad as we all think.  

One other thing, I wonder if this over whelming adoration for Brady at LSU is not a bit much.  Is it really Brady that is the reason for the success or Burrow's QB play.  Guess you could say both but what would one be without the other? What happens next year when Burrow is in the NFL and  LSU has a new QB?    Just wonder what everyone thinks.

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Where are you getting your tamales?

A lady at school makes them every year. They are good. 

The best I ever bought were from the Valley, when I was living in Corpus. Oh my, you could order pork with cheese and jalapeño, or cheese and jalapeño, the list went on and on. An elderly man went to office buildings, and his family made them. They were outstanding. 

9 minutes ago, java said:

A lady at school makes them every year. They are good. 

The best I ever bought were from the Valley, when I was living in Corpus. Oh my, you could order pork with cheese and jalapeño, or cheese and jalapeño, the list went on and on. An elderly man went to office buildings, and his family made them. They were outstanding. 

My mouth watered while reading this. lol

8 hours ago, java said:

Off topic, but have all of you fellows finished all of your Christmas shopping?

My last purchase came two days ago, and the tamales that I ordered were delivered today. I ordered 4 dozen & wish I had ordered 6. 

On-line shopping has certainly helped this working woman finish Christmas shopping in a timely manner. 

I think that I am going to top off my grandson’s  Christmas with tickets to a Longhorn basketball game for the 3 of us. Hoping to catch a baseball game after. 

Hook ‘em!

Online shopping is a gift in and of itself!  I got my daughter basketball tickets last year.  

IF it is Harrell and Ash - I will consider it a gift from Tom Herman to me (I know self aggrandizing).  I would view this as a home run!

This is a rhetorical question. Why would Harrell want to stay at USC?

I have heard that it is not a well-run program. We floundered a little after Dodds retired, but we are in extremely capable hands with CDC. It’s also obvious that The University administration supports our program. 

Coaching at Texas is a great opportunity, if and only if, a coach is not concerned about coaching on a big stage. For the naysayers, we are on a big stage, regardless of what you may say. 

Hook ‘em!

45 minutes ago, java said:

I have heard that it is not a well-run program. We floundered a little after Dodds retired, but we are in extremely capable hands with CDC. It’s also obvious that The University administration supports our program. 

Coaching at Texas is a great opportunity, if and only if, a coach is not concerned about coaching on a big stage. For the naysayers, we are on a big stage, regardless of what you may say. 

Hook ‘em!

I agree.... but we are viewing this with orange colored glasses.  Let’s try to view this from the viewpoint of an outsider...I would guess they might make these observations:

Texas and USC are very similar.  Coach on a pretty hot seat; sleeping giant program that has been hibernating for over a decade.... perhaps due to foundational issues.  

4 hours ago, java said:

Hook ‘em!

I hate to tell you this since I know you like negative free content on the board, but to the outside world we are not a well run program. That's what  happens when you have to fire both your offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. Also, GH likes working for Clay while Herman can be tough on his assistants. I don't believe an assistant takes a job based on the AD, but the head coach.

If Harrell stays another year at USC then he should be a head coach a year from now and he does have two quarterbacks coming back next year. He has the Pac 12 offensive player of the year in Kedon Slovis and a five star QB in JT Daniels. If GH comes to Texas then I would think Herman would want a two year commitment.

Hook em

2 hours ago, wadster said:

It's gone on too long for it not to be Harrell. If he was staying he'd certainly of announced by now. You don't drag it out this long if you're staying. Just doesn't make sense. It doesn't take this long to make a decision. 

Maybe he’s accepted with the addendum that if he gets a HC job before (X date) he is free to go?

With regards to the question about why not announcing Christ Ash as DC I would say that by not announcing this right away  gives TH cover.  It makes it look like he interviewed many candidates and did not simply do a comfort hire.  He needs it to appears that Ash was not already the guy even though most think Ash is already the guy.  I think this is all for appearance sake and has nothing to do with the actual hire itself.  Just an opinion.

I'm starting to think that Herman is going to wait until after early signing period to announce any hires. That way if the staff gets revamped the recruits are already signed.

THE SEARCH FOR HAFLEY'S REPLACEMENT AT OHIO STATE

CHRIS ASH

The name being mentioned most by fans thus far is former Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Chris Ash.

Ash, 45, was Rutgers' head coach from 2016 until he was fired earlier this season. 

While Ash could not win at Rutgers, he was a big part of the Buckeyes' success during his time in Columbus, including helping OSU win the 2014 national championship.

Ash came to OSU from Arkansas, where he was defensive coordinator/DB coach in 2013.

Ash was Wisconsin's DC/DB coach from 2011-12.

If Day wants to find someone with a thick background in the college game, Ash might be the leading coach. However, we have heard that Day will also be very interested in scouring the NFL for the best secondary coach he can find there, so we will see how it pans out

KERRY COOMBS

Would Kerry Coombs, 57, be willing to leave the NFL to return to Ohio State? Perhaps, if he was given play-calling responsibilities and a nice pay bump.

The energetic Coombs was the Buckeyes' DB coach from 2012-17, where he was quite the fan favorite. He is very happy with the Titans, but he might want the opportunity to call a defense (along with current OSU DC Greg Mattison).

Coombs is an Ohio guy (longtime head coach at Cincinnati Colerain, then the DB coach for the Cincinnati Bearcats) and did an excellent job during his time at Ohio State, so he is without question an intriguing possibility.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/ContentGallery/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-Hot-Board-the-search-for-Hafleys-replacement-at-Ohio-State-140516457/#140516457_3