Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

11 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

You’re saying that 9 sacks resulted because play calling was predictable?  If so I disagree.  

Again, I don’t understand why Hand doesn’t catch more heat for 2019.  

Go back and watch the games again.  Certain formations meant certain plays.  Orgeron even said in post game he knew exactly what play they were running on goal line.  That didn’t stop after game 2.  If O knew it don’t you think the coaches of the Big12 picked up on it.  Just by seeing the alignment of the RB I could guess the plays some.  If an average Joe can see it at home don’t you think good coaches see those tendencies?  OU sent more than Texas could block a bunch of times.  Sam held onto the ball a lot that game.  Some of the blame can be placed at his feet.  The offense was top 20Ish in yards and points per game as well as total yards.  To me the OL improved a ton over last year.  The issue to me was the uncreative playcalling at inopportune times.  

I wanted Herman fired already.  The issues with this team were the awful Playcalling or maybe I should say inconsistency of the playcalling.  You’d see three perfect drives followed by 4 bad ones with head scratching calls.  The choice to go for so many 4th downs doesn’t bother me too much but the simplistic and obvious plays they ran were the issue most times.  The fact that Beck was retained as OC after losing playcalling duties in year one was telling of Herman’s loyalty.  

the defense is a different story imo.  

as I said I wanted Herman fired.  However, the way this shook out may be the harsh humbling experience he needed to help with his arrogance.  As a fan of Texas football I will stand behind him and hope he rights the ship.  He’s been given the opportunity to do so and has a great AD guiding him.  I guess I shall wait and see

45 minutes ago, Drb522 said:
1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

I’m not sure why Hand doesn’t take more heat for 2019.  

The OU game was hard to explain.  

When the opposing defense knows what you’re doing......

Maybe... but it's hard to believe Georgia's top ranked SEC rushing defense didn't know we were going to run it down on the goal -- when we repeatedly ran it in for touchdowns.

Was shocking to not see it happening against OU... and others. Disappointedly shocking.

12 minutes ago, bill_ut75 said:

Maybe... but it's hard to believe Georgia's top ranked SEC rushing defense didn't know we were going to run it down on the goal -- when we repeatedly ran it in for touchdowns.

Was shocking to not see it happening against OU... and others. Disappointedly shocking.

One drive it took the same play 4 times to get in.  

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

24/7 is reporting that GH said no.  But according to these tweets no offers have been made or any contracts extended...

Both of those things could be true. GH could have said no and withdrew before ever being offered.

Also Herman could be meaning no formal offers were given as well, but maybe a verbal offer. 

Tons of loopholes in the story and quote.

So Tom Herman can’t call plays because it takes him too much time to gameplan? 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️ The man is making 5 million dollars for his time. I’m not saying he was a bad hire, but what the hell is he here for if we aren’t going to run his vaunted Ohio State offense.

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

Both of those things could be true. GH could have said no and withdrew before ever being offered.

Also Herman could be meaning no formal offers were given as well, but maybe a verbal offer. 

Tons of loopholes in the story and quote.

Another thing I wonder is that if USC has offered a new contract or extension to GH, why hasn't he signed it if he said no to TH?

25 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Two words Kliff Kingsbury.. They don't want to announce he's staying and then a head coach position opens up.

But then that would affect their recruiting, because that would say that their offensive coordinator is not certain.

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

Two words Kliff Kingsbury.. They don't want to announce he's staying and then a head coach position opens up.

The NCAA head coaching carousel has about run its course. He's not a candidate at BC, Memphis or App St. And the NFL won't come calling unless it's an OC position. Kingsbury's name carries more clout than Harrell's.

2 hours ago, DBOOK23 said:

So Tom Herman can’t call plays because it takes him too much time to gameplan? 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️ The man is making 5 million dollars for his time. I’m not saying he was a bad hire, but what the hell is he here for if we aren’t going to run his vaunted Ohio State offense.

For $5 million I'll call the plays.

34 minutes ago, Baron said:

The NCAA head coaching carousel has about run its course. He's not a candidate at BC, Memphis or App St. And the NFL won't come calling unless it's an OC position. Kingsbury's name carries more clout than Harrell's.

Agree that I doubt the NFL will be interested. However, they could hire a college coach which could cause that team to hire another coach from another school who then will hire GH.

Domino effect

See the source image

On 12/11/2019 at 7:43 AM, TexCoyote said:

We need these guys hitting recruits living rooms and keep the ones we have and try to flip a few or flip back a few. You get the jist. 

Maybe we should try winning a couple of more games. That could solve this problem...in the future that is.

3 hours ago, DBOOK23 said:

Does Riley call the plays at ou?  Seems it is a concept that can be achieved and still win if you call good plays...

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

Agree that I doubt the NFL will be interested. However, they could hire a college coach which could cause that team to hire another coach from another school who then will hire GH.

Domino effect

See the source image

The only coaches that might be hired by an NFL team would come from big time programs and I just don't see Harrell being hired as the HC for a blue blood program. At least not for a couple of years. So if the domino effect does happen, I only see Harrell making a lateral move.

1 hour ago, hookemhorb said:

Maybe we should try winning a couple of more games. That could solve this problem...in the future that is.

So I f Texas wins a couple more games, there will likely be no coaching vacancies to fill.

Problem solved!

A8023536-D9A6-4F6A-85EB-A9CF66A41CEB.gif