Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

1 hour ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Scotty Walden from USM is someone we need to look at as a OC. Dude is a fast riser and he will be big time soon. I've seen him at some clinics and his presentations are more packed than most P5 OC's presentations. 

Coachemup knows his bussniss 

I suspect our staff is more on top of this than we act like.     

1 minute ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

One thing that's interesting is how private this coaching search is. Really no substantial news has leaked to the public, it's all just speculation, a few rumors, and educated guessing. That's actually nice for a change.

Indeed. That means this is being taken seriously and I'm glad to see it. It might also mean that few even around CTH really know anything. It is nice.

I didn't know the Walden guy you threw out, but it matches up with what I've heard we're after – the young up and comer. The next Lincoln Riley, if you will. Thats why Chad Morris never made sense to me and I never heard his name tossed out by folks I know.

2 hours ago, wadster said:

Maybe TH already has his guys. And they specifically asked to wait until after bowl season. No way to know so just have to be patient. Hell head coaches get fired after bowl season and teams recover. In face if TH can't get it done, my guess is he won't survive. Robinson may already know who the new OC is for all we know. Lots of assuming but I'm not panicking yet. Just have to let it play out.

This.

Imagine if the news of a hiring got out, burning the incoming guy. What a welcome to Austin that would be.

Our recruiting is in good shape. And we've got a home run hitter actually able to visit these guys and the ones we're after. Carthage will win state soon so we'll pick up Dixon after that.

All,

When I was coaching, we had a guy that had been around the block, hell he was the hitting coach when I was a player and was still there when I came back to coach at my high school Alma Mater and he said the same thing anytime one of these things came up... guys only voluntarily leave a place for 1 of three things in this order...

1. Better situation (better chance to win, closer to home family, dream job)

2. Promotion- G-5 to P-5, position to coordinator, coordinator to HC.

3. Money - and usually these are the ones that don't work out. 

Just keep this in mind as this plays out. And remember, we are all Texas fans (with a couple of aggy trolls, hi guys, on occasion) so we all think this is be all end all. Let it play out... believe it or not recruiting will be fine and having Carrington on the road is a plus. 

LOL! Kiffin looking for revenge against Saban.

That dismissal fueled Kiffin’s desire to return to the SEC and a burning passion to exact revenge on Saban, multiple people with knowledge of the matter told The Athletic.

https://footballscoop.com/news/lane-kiffin-is-reportedly-gunning-for-nick-sabans-staff-members-including-the-big-one/

As of about noon, The Football Brainiacs have had two USC sources telling them that everyone is confident that Graham Harrell will be staying.

The positive side of this is they haven't heard of Herman reaching out to any new offensive coordinator candidates.

4 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

As of about noon, The Football Brainiacs have had two USC sources telling them that everyone is confident that Graham Harrell will be staying.

The positive side of this is they haven't heard of Herman reaching out to any new offensive coordinator candidates.

Exactly why I say waiting after a meaningless bowl game is ridiculous. Go get a guy that will say yes now. 

4 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

No way in hell should Beck take that job. He can get a QB coach job and make more at a Power 5 school. I do like Walden as an up and comer. Don't think he's quite ready to be our playcaller yet, but he should be in contention to take Mehringer's job.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

This.

Imagine if the news of a hiring got out, burning the incoming guy. What a welcome to Austin that would be.

Our recruiting is in good shape. And we've got a home run hitter actually able to visit these guys and the ones we're after. Carthage will win state soon so we'll pick up Dixon after that.

Recruiting is my concern. We have coaches recruiting and making the rounds that might not be there in a couple of weeks. To me that is disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst.

3 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Herman's job is not going to be determined on how fast he hires his coaches. It will be determined if he hires the right coach or the wrong one.

I totally get that. I also understand that if you Wait too long the right one will take another opening. I’ve been on both sides of this situation. That hand shake doesn’t mean a thing. 
leads me to believe that things are a lot more advanced than some believe. Maybe already secured, just waiting to announce. 

28 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Herman's job is not going to be determined on how fast he hires his coaches. It will be determined if he hires the right coach or the wrong one.

42 minutes ago, reneg_2 said:

Come on, Herman! 

Yeah and the fact that he has Applewhite on speed dial.  😀

It would be nice for Rhule to go to the NFL.

You’ve heard the names the Cowboys will look at, and I believe there are two aspects of the next hire to watch: the prominence and prior success of the coach, and the development of Dak Prescott. So Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley and ex-Ohio State coach Urban Meyer top the list, and I’d think that Baylor’s Matt Rhule and Florida’s Dan Mullen (Prescott’s college coach) would also merit consideration.

Tom, if Pat Shurmur and Dave Gettleman are gone, I’d put Baylor’s Rhule at the very top of the list. But after what Rhule went through last year with the Jets, I’m told that Rhule is going to be very careful about where he goes in pursuing his goal of becoming an NFL head coach—which means the Giants’ job might take some convincing. Rhule worked for the Giants in 2012, so he knows what’s right and what’s wrong about that place.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/11/nfl-head-coaching-carousel-matt-rhule-mailbag

4 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

It’s exactly what Herman wants. For the amount of money that is rumored to be offered, he’s not going to wait for them to coach a bowl game of an 8-4 team (USC). If a coach wants to do that Herman can just move on. There’s multiple people out there that can run a highly successful offense that would take $2M per year. None of these guys come with a guarantee anyway. It’s all a risk. I’m just saying if I was making Herman’s money and wanted to continue to make that kind of money, I’d get the best possible guy hired and we’d be on a plane nonstop talking to recruits until this first signing day is past. We’ve already had several recruits decommit. Just my opinion 

It’s not just Herman or what he wants.  Kirby Smart coached the playoffs as the Bama DC before being announced as the Georgia HC.  Many coaches coach their bowl games before leaving.  Many don’t.  

if you demanded your candidate quit that day, he may not accept the job.  I’m sure that stuff is talked about in the interview.  Some men have a bit of loyalty to the current coach that gave them the opportunity they’re currently in.  Herman May be a prick, but I believe if Harrell is the choice and he said he owed it to Helton to coach the USC bowl game, I believe Herman should and would honor that wish.

3 hours ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

One thing that's interesting is how private this coaching search is. Really no substantial news has leaked to the public, it's all just speculation, a few rumors, and educated guessing. That's actually nice for a change.

And some posters here starting to panic