Jump to content

Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, DBOOK23 said:

i don’t think we are getting Harrell who is our second choice?

I bet we get him.  SC has to make an effort here or risk more damage.  Harrell's family is in Texas, he prefers living here, his dad's a legendary HS coach here, no state income tax, nicer and more optimal/affordable housing......etc. etc.  IT's Nahlin had a good update this morning.  Not guaranteeing he's coming, but pointing to a lot of favorable factors including his family here wanting him back in the area/state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Baron said:

Honestly, IMO, Harrell would have already taken the job at Texas if he was worried about Helton's status or really wanted to come back home. He is just parlaying the opportunity into more money at SC.

I don't know why he would. It's not a matter of whether Helton gets fired. Its a matter of when. He's a dead man walking. His fans hate him. Alumni hate him. It's an ugly, ugly situation there.

I think GH is simply giving everything due consideration. I think he'll have an answer for CTH by tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't know why he would. It's not a matter of whether Helton gets fired. Its a matter of when. He's a dead man walking. His fans hate him. Alumni hate him. It's an ugly, ugly situation there.

I think GH is simply giving everything due consideration. I think he'll have an answer for CTH by tomorrow.

Agree... Harrell is finding out how much he's worth. 

The only thing that has me wondering about the USC situation would be the inside straight chance of Harrell being promoted to interim HC if Helton gets fired mid-season. And if that happens, whether or not he would be in the running to replace Helton. 

There's a pretty low chance that happens overall. However Helton getting fired mid-season isn't that much of a stretch. If Harrell becomes interim HC and does a decent jobs, he may get consideration. 

Maybe he doesn't think about it all, but both Helton and Herman are on the hot seat right now, so he's got to think about it a little.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't know why he would. It's not a matter of whether Helton gets fired. Its a matter of when. He's a dead man walking. His fans hate him. Alumni hate him. It's an ugly, ugly situation there.

I think GH is simply giving everything due consideration. I think he'll have an answer for CTH by tomorrow.

If not we need to move on. These recruits need to get an idea of what kind of offense they’ll be committing too. Early signing period has made it where you can’t take forever making a decision. I get that it has to be the correct decision but there is no guarantee on any decisions. I wish they came with a guarantee but unfortunately they don’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree with the urgency of the early signing period, I believe there is more faith in Herman's ability by offensive recruits than there is on the defensive side. At this point, defensive recruits have little to know idea if anyone on the current staff has any idea of what type of defense they will be running. That is another reason why I believe the DC hire is the more pressing need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

Agree... Harrell is finding out how much he's worth. 

The only thing that has me wondering about the USC situation would be the inside straight chance of Harrell being promoted to interim HC if Helton gets fired mid-season. And if that happens, whether or not he would be in the running to replace Helton. 

There's a pretty low chance that happens overall. However Helton getting fired mid-season isn't that much of a stretch. If Harrell becomes interim HC and does a decent jobs, he may get consideration. 

Maybe he doesn't think about it all, but both Helton and Herman are on the hot seat right now, so he's got to think about it a little.  

I disagree. I read where Bohn likes Harrell. If Harrell has another good season with the USC offense (if he stays) and Clay has another Clay season then GH will be a top candidate for the HC position including a mid year firing .

Harrell would be older next year than Lincoln Riley when he took over OU and he does five years of NFL experience as a player.  Hopefully, Herman got a two year commitment if Harrell comes to UT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, primal defense said:

I disagree. I read where Bohn likes Harrell. If Harrell has another good season with the USC offense (if he stays) and Clay has another Clay season. Then GH will be a top candidate for the HC position including a mid year firing .

Harrell would be older next year than Lincoln Riley when he took over OU and he does five years of NFL experience as a player.  Hopefully, Herman got a two year commitment if Harrell comes to UT.

You may be right.

My only point is that no one has really mentioned the inside shot of becoming USC's next HC as a factor in his decision. There's very little chance he'd get that consideration here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

Agree... Harrell is finding out how much he's worth. 

The only thing that has me wondering about the USC situation would be the inside straight chance of Harrell being promoted to interim HC if Helton gets fired mid-season. And if that happens, whether or not he would be in the running to replace Helton. 

There's a pretty low chance that happens overall. However Helton getting fired mid-season isn't that much of a stretch. If Harrell becomes interim HC and does a decent jobs, he may get consideration. 

Maybe he doesn't think about it all, but both Helton and Herman are on the hot seat right now, so he's got to think about it a little.  

OTOH, he would inherit the 70th ranked recruiting class and a dumpster fire left over on campus. Is that a death sentence for a guy's first HC job?

Or he could come to Texas, spend two years proving himself and get pretty much any job he wants, including Bama because Saban should be retiring soon. His name could be that hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll go No for Graham Harrell. I think he is an upgrade but I think there are other better OCs out there. I’m not saying I know a bunch of better options but like Ou hires Riley years ago, LSU hired Brady, there are options out there that can be a good fit, more innovative that don’t come from P5 blue bloods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dillohorn said:

When Dak, Elliot, and the other millionaire prima donnas start putting their hands over their hearts during the national anthem while standing next to the HC, I might start giving a sh*t about the cowboys/nfl.

The owner could fix that.  But he’s the reason I don’t care if the cowboys win another game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

The owner could fix that.  But he’s the reason I don’t care if the cowboys win another game

Jerrah likes boot lickers. That's why Jimmy left so quickly and Parcells only stayed a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

I bet we get him.  SC has to make an effort here or risk more damage.  Harrell's family is in Texas, he prefers living here, his dad's a legendary HS coach here, no state income tax, nicer and more optimal/affordable housing......etc. etc.  IT's Nahlin had a good update this morning.  Not guaranteeing he's coming, but pointing to a lot of favorable factors including his family here wanting him back in the area/state.

I do, too.

All TX2725 said, plus CTH went to see the Aledo Ennis game last night. To see a 2021 recruit, or did also being able to see and talk with Sam Harrell (Ennis HC) play a part?

GH's Dad Sam recently returned to coaching after a miracle recovery from MS after taking several trips to Panama for stem cell therapy. Close knit family.  Life... and health can be fleeting.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/2019/08/03/ms-took-football-away-from-sam-harrell-several-trips-to-panama-and-one-crazy-journey-later-hes-back-as-ennis-head-coach/

I'm thinking coming back home to be closer to his Dad while he still can, may be a big personal factor.

If GH can return back to Texas as the OC of the University of Texas now (for a helluva lot of money) to hopefully help turn the Horns into a B12, or possibly a CFB playoff candidate (making an even bigger name for himself and an even bigger payday down the road) and be closer to his Dad (while he's healthy) & his family, that seems like the percentage move.

Carpe diem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bill_ut75 said:

I do, too.

All TX2725 said, plus CTH went to see the Aledo Ennis game last night. To see a 2021 recruit, or did also being able to see and talk with Sam Harrell (Ennis HC) play a part?

GH's Dad Sam recently returned to coaching after a miracle recovery from MS after taking several trips to Panama for stem cell therapy. Close knit family.  Life... and health can be fleeting.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/2019/08/03/ms-took-football-away-from-sam-harrell-several-trips-to-panama-and-one-crazy-journey-later-hes-back-as-ennis-head-coach/

I'm thinking coming back home to be closer to his Dad while he still can, may be a big personal factor.

If GH can return back to Texas as the OC of the University of Texas (for a helluva lot of money) to hopefully help turn the Horns into a B12, or possibly a CFB playoff candidate (making an even bigger name for himself and an even bigger payday down the road) and be closer to his Dad (while he's healthy) & his family, that seems like the percentage move.

Carpe diem.

 

Just reading the tea leaves, I would say it's a very good sign that Herman went to visit the father of the coach that he just interviewed. I don't believe in coincidences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Morris for a couple of reasons. He has had success calling plays at more than one location, and he has head coaching experience which I believe would add to the overall maturity of the staff. Not to say he would be better than GH, just a couple of reasons I believe he could do really good things at Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

I like Morris for a couple of reasons. He has had success calling plays at more than one location, and he has head coaching experience which I believe would add to the overall maturity of the staff. Not to say he would be better than GH, just a couple of reasons I believe he could do really good things at Texas.

I’d also add he’s a really good recruiter with ties all over the state. He’s my #1. Plus he uses the TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't know why he would. It's not a matter of whether Helton gets fired. Its a matter of when. He's a dead man walking. His fans hate him. Alumni hate him. It's an ugly, ugly situation there.

I think GH is simply giving everything due consideration. I think he'll have an answer for CTH by tomorrow.

What if he takes the Texas OC job and is then hired by the Arizona Cardinals?😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

What if he takes the Texas OC job and is then hired by the Arizona Cardinals?😀

Not going to happen with GH. Kingsbury had several years as a HC before the NFL came calling. GH hasn't had his first HC job yet.

By contrast, Chad Morris would spend every minute at UT as a potential candidate for a lot of jobs. So I don't like the choice. 

Morris would be my plan J or K.

Here's another one from the Arkansas staff . . . would you get excited over John Chavis as DC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...