Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

26 minutes ago, primal defense said:

What is his motivation to come to UT as OC? LSU would and could match any $. The only reason I can think of is the tremendous challenge.

I would think the OC money at Texas is more than the PGC/WRC money at LSU. Plus it's another skin on the wall if he is successful.

7 minutes ago, Baron said:

I would think the OC money at Texas is more than the PGC/WRC money at LSU. Plus it's another skin on the wall if he is successful.

I thought Brady was the OC since he's been getting all the praise including being named one of the top assistant coaches. I suppose LSU will give him a better title and money.

1 minute ago, primal defense said:

I thought Brady was the OC since he's been getting all the praise including being named one of the top assistant coaches. I suppose LSU will give him a better title and money.

Ensminger (sp?) is the OC.

Per Pete Thamel in Tuscaloosa: 

A source told Yahoo Sports on Saturday that LSU officials engaged Brady about a raise and contract extension during LSU’s bye week. LSU is prepared to pay Brady NFL coordinator market value – think in the neighborhood of $1.5 million – and could have a deal by the end of the regular season. (Brady makes $400,000 on his current deal.) The source noted the importance of LSU keeping Brady, who has been the season’s breakout coaching star.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/10/report-says-lsu-preparing-hefty-raise-for-joe-brady-in-bid-to-keep-key-assistant-coach/

Per Pete Thamel in Tuscaloosa: 

A source told Yahoo Sports on Saturday that LSU officials engaged Brady about a raise and contract extension during LSU’s bye week. LSU is prepared to pay Brady NFL coordinator market value – think in the neighborhood of $1.5 million – and could have a deal by the end of the regular season. (Brady makes $400,000 on his current deal.) The source noted the importance of LSU keeping Brady, who has been the season’s breakout coaching star.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/10/report-says-lsu-preparing-hefty-raise-for-joe-brady-in-bid-to-keep-key-assistant-coach/

Well, looks like the LSU OC will be looking for a job.

1 hour ago, drgilbert said:

Why would CDC vet a coach? That's Herman's job. It's CDC's job to vet what Herman does.

I think Samples' return is a must. And if you hire Samples, why keep Mehringer.

19 minutes ago, Baron said:

Why would CDC vet a coach? That's Herman's job. It's CDC's job to vet what Herman does.

I think Samples' return is a must. And if you hire Samples, why keep Mehringer.

IDK, I think you hire coaching first, recruiting second. We need improved coaching – netting on the field results. Gimme someone proven to be an offensive guru.

9 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

IDK, I think you hire coaching first, recruiting second. We need improved coaching – netting on the field results. Gimme someone proven to be an offensive guru.

The AD hires the head coach. The HC should vet and hire his own staff. I guess I didn't make myself clear, the AD only gets involved when things aren't going right, that's what I meant by vetting the HC's hiring decisions.

Samples did a decent job at SMU this year, they have three receivers with over 500 yds.

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

The AD hires the head coach. The HC should vet and hire his own staff. I guess I didn't make myself clear, the AD only gets involved when things aren't going right, that's what I meant by vetting the HC's hiring decisions.

Samples did a decent job at SMU this year, they have three receivers with over 500 yds.

Maybe CDC is getting the ball rolling and doing the background work so Herman can concentrate on this short weeks game.

Byw, that wasnt meant to sound condescending, but rather a legitimate option as to why CDC is doing something like this.

3 minutes ago, texbound said:

Maybe CDC is getting the ball rolling and doing the background work so Herman can concentrate on this short weeks game.

Why would an AD usurp a coach's choice of candidates? Not many HC's would allow someone else to choose all of their assistants. 

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

Why would an AD usurp a coach's choice of candidates? Not many HC's would allow someone else to choose all of their assistants. 

I dont know, I've never been an AD or a college HC.  Have no clue to the inner workings of that one on one relationship.  Maybe it was Herman's list and CDC said he would help until after Friday.  That doesn't seem far fetched.

8 minutes ago, Baron said:

I read that it will be Herman's choice on the coaches. CDC will not interfere. CDC is checking we don't hire another Zack Smith.

36 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

It will looks like Jeff Scott can do both.

Was a finalist for the 2018 Broyles Award as one of the top assistant coaches in the nation.

Named one of the top-25 recruiters in the nation by Rivals and as ACC Recruiter of the Year by 247Sports in 2018.

Big question is if he can do it on his own.

It will looks like Jeff Scott can do both.

Was a finalist for the 2018 Broyles Award as one of the top assistant coaches in the nation.

Named one of the top-25 recruiters in the nation by Rivals and as ACC Recruiter of the Year by 247Sports in 2018.

Big question is if he can do it on his own.

My big question is the same you asked. Why would he leave Clemson for Texas? And why wouldn't Clemson shower him with money to stay?