Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

Everything I’ve seen and read on Chris Ash has been awesome, I have a friend of mine from high school who played for ash at Ohio state and he had nothing but positive things to say about him. I’m really starting to like the idea of it. If it’s not him then I want Barry Odom, he coached up Jordan Elliot to becoming a monster, Elliot is most likely a second or third rd pick in the draft. If not him then I want the DC from UAB, they play good D. On the contrary, I would like for us to think outside the box on the OC hire though, it’s not as simple as Harrell. We need to hire someone who is going to really put our players in a position to be successful. Harrell has a scheme, but I want someone who calls on players, not plays. I would really think long and hard about Jeff Scott at Clemson. 

What Brady has done at LSU is amazing, but I don't want to chase the next hot thing with a (very) short resume.  Reminds me of Diaz, Strong, Gilbert, Herman, ...  He had a Heisman QB and incredible WR talent, how much of it was due to him?  Maybe lots but I wouldn't take that risk.

I like Graham Harrell. I really do. He's made for this and has exposure to some of the best schemes and concepts. His dad has been a head coach for years (Ennis) so coaching is in his blood.

From what I hear, he wants to come back to Texas near family and is receptive to UT.

He kept USC winning despite losing three QBs during the season. He turned North Texas' offense into a monster.

Do the due diligence but I think this is our guy.

19 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I like Graham Harrell. I really do. He's made for this and has exposure to some of the best schemes and concepts. His dad has been a head coach for years (Ennis) so coaching is in his blood.

From what I hear, he wants to come back to Texas near family and is receptive to UT.

He kept USC winning despite losing three QBs during the season. He turned North Texas' offense into a monster.

Do the due diligence but I think this is our guy.

Agree.

Occam's Razor…

8 hours ago, java said:

You are kidding, right?  Herman’s first recruiting class was put together with string and bubble gum after Strong quit recruiting early his last season. We were really fortunate to get the players we did, including a few diehard Longhorns like Ehlinger. 

I freely admit that I am no x’s snd o’s pro, heck it’s easy to see that I’m much more of a cheerleader. That said, Herman’s first real class was BJ, Caden, and all of those other sophomore starters you saw gut it out through injuries. They are warriors, much like Ehlinger. But even warriors are not as effective when they are injured. 

I saw one of them, may have been Brandon Jones knocking people down but never using one of his shoulders (left I think). I was pretty sure he was playing hurt because he knew we needed him out there that much. 

The Offense:  Recall the haphazard, lackluster series we saw during the first quarter. I was pretty certain that was Beck’s final exam which he flagged badly. 

Now consider the cohesive offense we saw later in the game. The offense where one play set up another, the offense that drove down the field and scored. The players were the same. The opponents were the same. Who do you think was calling those plays?  I would bet lots of cash that it was Herman.  

Herman took responsibility because he made the hires. I think it’s a shame that Orlando had to go. Beck was in way over his head, as was Wareheim. 

It’s time to quit bashing Herman. CDC isn’t looking over Herman’s shoulder. He is relieving him of some of the due diligence that is required when someone is hired for a job at a place like Texas. 

Due diligence that Urban Meyer should have done when he hired Zack Smith and others. (There you go, Urban, you sanctimonious mouthpiece.)

Herman, hire the best darn offensive & defensive minds out there, and let’s roll in the W’s!!

Hook ‘em!

No I’m not kidding, are you?

My point was that you cannot simply point to injuries as the reason Texas played very, very poorly for much of this season.  Not only do players not develop here... they seem to regress.  I guess you dispute this?  I think my point is pretty well validated since the entire staff is currently being gutted. 

Nevertheless, if the staff was sub-par even that falls on Herman’s lap.  Bringing a competent staff on board is a gigantic part of the head coaches responsibility.  

I hope this works out.  What is best for Texas is that CTH grows into the role and we need not start all over again.  But the fact is when it comes to the place where coaches are told to let coordinators go - it rarely turns things around.  

Finally, I never understood policing a “discussion forum” and telling people what they need to talk about.  What we discuss here is of little consequence to what takes place on game day.  

11 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Thats great. What does that have to do with academics having influence on athletics? No one is forcing anyone to determine which is more important, although I challenge you to fill DKR with a science fair. lol

Athletics, particularly football, pays the bills. Academics should know this otherwise they're not real academic to begin with.

I'll remind you of what happened the last time academics took over the decision making for UT football. It was a vast desert of nothing.

Again a "university" main focus should always be academics... The academic fund has way more money than the athletic fund. The UT endowment is in the billions for academics. I give ZF what athletics think it is... Educating students should and will remain the focus on any university. 

11 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Athletics, particularly football, pays the bills. Academics should know this otherwise they're not real academic to begin with.

They could should the football program down tomorrow and Ut would be fine..

Bolstered by booming oil prices, the University of Texas' endowment hit $31 billion in value this summer, according to data compiled by Bloomberg News — making UT's endowment second only to Harvard University's in size among the country's institutions of higher education.

I hope Herman doesn’t take too long making these coaching hires. We need recruits to see what kind of scheme they are going to be committing too and who is going to be calling the shots. This HAS to be the correct hires but it doesn’t need to take forever figuring it out 

7 hours ago, DBOOK23 said:

Everything I’ve seen and read on Chris Ash has been awesome, I have a friend of mine from high school who played for ash at Ohio state and he had nothing but positive things to say about him. I’m really starting to like the idea of it. If it’s not him then I want Barry Odom, he coached up Jordan Elliot to becoming a monster, Elliot is most likely a second or third rd pick in the draft. If not him then I want the DC from UAB, they play good D. On the contrary, I would like for us to think outside the box on the OC hire though, it’s not as simple as Harrell. We need to hire someone who is going to really put our players in a position to be successful. Harrell has a scheme, but I want someone who calls on players, not plays. I would really think long and hard about Jeff Scott at Clemson. 

He can't be worse than Orlando that is for sure... And as long as he doesn't blitz the safety from 50 yards out and have DL covering receivers 20 yards down the field we should be fine. 

39 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Again a "university" main focus should always be academics... The academic fund has way more money than the athletic fund. The UT endowment is in the billions for academics. I give ZF what athletics think it is... Educating students should and will remain the focus on any university. 

You would be amazed at how many young people seek post secondary education to advance their dreams of pursuing a career in sports management, sports marketing, kinesiology, and other fields related to the field of sports entertainment. 

College athletics programs aren’t just about letting hood rats skate through their time on campus to win games so fat, rich alumni can brag to their cronies about how their team is going. 

So while you are defending the prestige of a college degree in dance theory, music, agricultural leadership, general studies, or the myriad of other majors offered by the various universities out there, some of us will appreciate the sports entertainment business is large, growing, and in need of highly educated people to help the many, many multi-billion dollar sports entertainment organizations and sports related businesses move forward. 

And please, don't cite me bullshit articles about the UT endowment. I know the PUF financial assets exceeded $22B last month, the Long Term Fund is approaching $12B (up more than $2B in a year, impressive, isn't it?) and that the lands contributed slightly less than last year but more than $1B to the PUF for the second year in a row. Add in the smaller funds, and the figure quoted in the article you referenced is laughable. The audited endowment financials were posted on Nov 27th. I studied them over the weekend. I know about the UT endowment funds quite well without your having a bullshit year-old article about them.

Have a nice day. 

Doesn't think much of Ash.

Tom Herman's coaching changes will make the difference at Texas.

Farrell’s take: FICTION. Chris Ash as your defensive coordinator? He did okay at Ohio State with all that talent, but is this a huge step up from Todd Orlando? Offensive changes are coming as well but the more I think about this, the more Tom Herman will be gone next year. And I was one of those tooting his horn when he was hired. I’m shaking my head.

Gorney’s take: FICTION. 

is getting ripped for his comments after Texas beat Texas Tech, but he’s far more accurate than many fans want to believe. Over the last decade, the Longhorns are 70-57 (an average of seven wins a season) with one 10-win campaign and four losing seasons.

By comparison, Oklahoma has had nine double-digit win seasons during that stretch and its worst record was 8-5. Ohio State has also had nine double-digit win seasons. Alabama has won 10 or more games in every season of the last decade.

This is all to say Texas fans are living in the past and some coordinator changes are not going to make all that big a difference. Until Herman can recruit at an elite level nationally (and that means getting multiple five-stars every recruiting cycle and elite four-stars that he can develop on both sides of the ball) then things aren’t going to change.

Texas should be better next year because the Longhorns should have Ehlinger back and the defense should be a year older and a year better but look at Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and others play football. Do you see the same product from Texas? Not at all.

https://n.rivals.com/news/fact-or-fiction-hot-seat-for-harbaugh-texas-solves-problems

12 hours ago, java said:

I saw one of them, may have been Brandon Jones knocking people down but never using one of his shoulders (left I think). I was pretty sure he was playing hurt because he knew we needed him out there that much. 

Believe that was BJ Foster however your point is correct

With all of the firing and demotions it shows that TH made a lot of mistakes in his staff hiring when he got to UT. Let's hope he gets it right this time. There was no bigger supporter of TH for the past 2 years than I was. I also was ready for him to be let go as this season progressed. I am now glad that he is being retained and is changing staff. TH needs to make much better hires this go round and he better get it done fast. 

4 hours ago, 83Dee said:

My point was that you cannot simply point to injuries as the reason Texas played very, very poorly for much of this season.  Not only do players not develop here... they seem to regress.  

I couldn't agree more. 

I am not trying to be difficult, but TH likes to run his offense.  He has stated it multiple times is various press conferences. Is he willing to change to a different offense with the different types of OC's that have come up on the rumor list?  I just hope he is willing to let the new OC run the offense that they were successful with in the prior position.   

3 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I hope Herman doesn’t take too long making these coaching hires. We need recruits to see what kind of scheme they are going to be committing too and who is going to be calling the shots. This HAS to be the correct hires but it doesn’t need to take forever figuring it out 

We can either have a fast process or a correct process, but not both.

Unless we're willing to wait until after bowl season then we're basically passing on all the coaches that still have jobs.  Most likely that's why Herman named interim coordinators, which will take Texas through its bowl game. 

Finding the right coach is a lot more important than an extra couple recruits. 

4 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Again, you're in left field.

Athletics hasn't spoken on this, you're addressing a board where no members are part of UT athletics system. You're the master at defeating points no one is trying to make.

If academics is bigger than football, why don't they build incredible facilities for them like they do with football? Why don't they even attempt to market the academic side of UT? The only time they bother to talk about it is – wait for it (lol) – DURING A FOOTBALL GAME.

Football provides the revenue and audience that academics just can't.

Football doesn't answer to academics. Neither does janitorial. If academics thinks they own the place, they are sadly living in a dream world.

When kick off occurs each Saturday, are they reading notes from Biology 101 over the loudpspeaker? No, because if they did everyone would get up and leave.

26 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Unless we're willing to wait until after bowl season then we're basically passing on all the coaches that still have jobs.  Most likely that's why Herman named interim coordinators, which will take Texas through its bowl game. 

Finding the right coach is a lot more important than an extra couple recruits. 

I think you can have a fast and correct process both as you can have a slow an wrong process. I want the process to be correct regardless of the time. I just said I’m “hoping” it doesn’t take long because we have to keep recruiting good or the coaching choices really won’t matter. Just my opinion

4 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

They could should the football program down tomorrow and Ut would be fine..

Bolstered by booming oil prices, the University of Texas' endowment hit $31 billion in value this summer, according to data compiled by Bloomberg News — making UT's endowment second only to Harvard University's in size among the country's institutions of higher education.

So academics isn't responsible for money that UT invests? OIL IS. lol

Further, academics ISN"T THE OWNER or CARETAKER OF THOSE FUNDS. UT is. Academics isn't doing the investing of those funds.

UT is more than academics and football. A degree at UT should allow you to see that much.

Texas makes money on its brand, which is consumer-desired due to the football program and other athletics. No one pays money to watch anything academic at UT.

I appreciate the assist in further knocking your point. Don't normally see that but okay. lol

30 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

There is a colloquialism in the manufacturing industry...

You can get the product: 

Good – Fast – Cheap

But you can only pick two.

Maybe this applies somewhat in this situation.

21 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

I think you can have a fast and correct process both as you can have a slow an wrong process. I want the process to be correct regardless of the time. I just said I’m “hoping” it doesn’t take long because we have to keep recruiting good or the coaching choices really won’t matter. Just my opinion

The process can be done quickly and correctly at the same time ( just as I used to tell my 65 employees ). 

17 minutes ago, Bogey said:

There is a colloquialism in the manufacturing industry...

You can get the product: 

Good – Fast – Cheap

But you can only pick two.

Maybe this applies somewhat in this situation.

Ha... yeah I lifted that pretty much from the same thing. Although in my case we apply it to the IT industry. 

For Texas this could extend into January, so no one should really get upset if we don't have coordinators before then. 

However if the right person is 'in between' jobs then we could make a move sooner. This would apply most to someone like Ash, who would be settling back into a coordinator role after an unsuccessful stint at HC.

I worry about guys like that sometimes though... and where there head is at after dealing with a career setback. Ideally we find up and comers, but sometimes career coordinators provide the best stability.