Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

TFloss32

Coaching Changes, Rumors, Misc.

3 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Curious why someone should be fired because people on the academic side don't like him? You also use the phrase "if as many people hate him as is floating around". Can you define how many people we are talking about? 

That was kind of my question as well NTG. I read it on another site that the money and the academics hated him and if he didn't win the NC he was gone next year. A 20 win season was not enough to save his job. In fact the supposed insider said it was all tied to a bowl win, a top 10 recruiting class, and a NC or he was done. I have no idea if he is even an insider just posed the question that IF that many people hate him, it is creating a no win scenario that will just prolong the current misery that has been the past decade of Texas football. I do not know enough inside information to know how many hate him or what forces are in play.

I'm glad Drayton wasn't let go.:)

The offensive class is where Texas needs to keep players together. Five-star Bijan Robinson says he’s planning on signing with Texas if running back coach Stan Drayton remains on the staff. Texas also holds commitments from four offensive linemen, who shouldn’t be impacted by the changes since Herb Hand is safe through 2020.

https://www.hookem.com/2019/12/01/texas-defensive-commits-react-todd-orlando-firing/

2 hours ago, HORNfromETX said:

Welp mark both the pac 12 coaches off. Lake will be the new Washington coach and per IT Utah's DC already turned down the job.

I'm not sure Herman would approach someone (Utah's DC) who has a conference championship game to get ready for in less than 1 week. Not sure I'd rule him out yet.

Our old buddy Zackery Evans will announce of Wednesday.

Houston (Texas) North Shore five-star running back Zachary Evans says he'll announce his college decision this coming Wednesday. He is ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the No. 1 running back in the country and No. 9 prospect overall.

Evans' finalists include Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M.

LSU is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite for the 5-foot-11, 200-pound Evans, and they hosted the blue-chipper numerous times throughout the process including for his official visit the weekend of Oct. 26.

https://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-top-running-back-five-star-Zach-Evans-locks-in-college-commitment-date-football-recruiting-139620664/

2 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

That was kind of my question as well NTG. I read it on another site that the money and the academics hated him and if he didn't win the NC he was gone next year. A 20 win season was not enough to save his job. In fact the supposed insider said it was all tied to a bowl win, a top 10 recruiting class, and a NC or he was done. I have no idea if he is even an insider just posed the question that IF that many people hate him, it is creating a no win scenario that will just prolong the current misery that has been the past decade of Texas football. I do not know enough inside information to know how many hate him or what forces are in play.

Unreasonable goals for sure.

How often has this strategy worked for us? The seat gets hot, HC fires the coordinators to save himself, a couple of years later the HC is fired. 
It seems to be a slippery slope when hiring new assistants in this situation. It’s hard to convince good coaches to enter a volatile situation. 

1 hour ago, tejasrulz said:

I'm not sure Herman would approach someone (Utah's DC) who has a conference championship game to get ready for in less than 1 week. Not sure I'd rule him out yet.

Agree. And there's no way he turned down a job that wasn't offered to him. If anything, he got a call to gauge interest.

3 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

If I'm Tom Herman, I don't give a rats ass what academics don't like me. Academics should shut up and do their own job and let others do theirs.

The "money" obviously hasn't realized CDC is not their whipping boy. CDC isn't firing CTH and he's the only one who can.

If any of that is true, its only a no-win for the academics and money. 

11 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

How often has this strategy worked for us? The seat gets hot, HC fires the coordinators to save himself, a couple of years later the HC is fired. 
It seems to be a slippery slope when hiring new assistants in this situation. It’s hard to convince good coaches to enter a volatile situation. 

It's certainly not ideal, but most coaches don't make long term plans anyway. Texas will pay someone 3 or 4 times what they would've made in their current situation, so that helps buffer the concern about job security. Most coaches just want a chance at upward mobility, and they can get that from just one season at a place like Texas. 

Just look at the landscape now and how many 'hot coaches' are being talked about after spending only one or two seasons somewhere. To be sure there are better situations, and you can't money whip guys out of everywhere. But any coach worth having will look at the latent talent that went unused and think they can make a name for themselves here. 

5 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Agree. And there's no way he turned down a job that wasn't offered to him. If anything, he got a call to gauge interest.

I agree. Utah is a game away from making it into the CFP, which would be absolutely huge for their program. If I'm Scalley, I'm not going to devote a microsecond to negotiating about a possible position at another school, when one of the biggest games of my career (and my school's history) is coming up in less than a week.

My guess is that there was a call to gauge interest, and Texas got a response of "go away, I'm busy".

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

If I'm Tom Herman, I don't give a rats ass what academics don't like me. Academics should shut up and do their own job and let others do theirs.

The "money" obviously hasn't realized CDC is not their whipping boy. CDC isn't firing CTH and he's the only one who can.

If any of that is true, its only a no-win for the academics and money. 

The primary purpose of any university should always be academics first.. It's the whole reason it exist... My degree and what it stands for are way more important than any athletic department or coach.

I agree about the primary purpose of any university should always be academics first, but I also agree that Tom Herman shouldn't give a crap about what the academics feel about him.  He's the football coach, not the professor, of these players.  His primary purpose should be the football team, and I hope he get's his head outta his a@@ and figures out what he needs to do to get this program back on track....

23 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

The primary purpose of any university should always be academics first.. It's the whole reason it exist... My degree and what it stands for are way more important than any athletic department or coach.

Many in academia are well known for being jealous, petty, territorial, and overly impressed with themselves. And they are, in general, easily replaceable. Coaches are judged on their performance and paid for delivering demonstrable results. That level of accountability never has, and never will exist in academia. 

What anyone’s degree stands for is determined by how it empowers them to reach their goals in life. Whether or not some tenured, pinhead prima donna approves of the pay rate of other university employees means nothing. 

Like I said earlier, if any academic wants to give up their feathered, tenured nest to coach football, they should shut up and do it. If they did, I guarantee you they would immediately start griping about how football coaches should be paid more. 

6 hours ago, HORNfromETX said:

Welp mark both the pac 12 coaches off. Lake will be the new Washington coach and per IT Utah's DC already turned down the job.

Calling that a welp mark is a stretch. One takes a head coach position and the other is in a competitive position for final four (outside chance but still in the running). Just because they are not available doesn't mean that is a welp mark for Texas.

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Thats great. What does that have to do with academics having influence on athletics? No one is forcing anyone to determine which is more important, although I challenge you to fill DKR with a science fair. lol

Athletics, particularly football, pays the bills. Academics should know this otherwise they're not real academic to begin with.

I'll remind you of what happened the last time academics took over the decision making for UT football. It was a vast desert of nothing.

22 minutes ago, Rotty22 said:

You don't put $x million dollars into the football stadium for academia...

Agree. I remember discussing this with someone years ago. I stated you fill that stadium up for a debate, seminar or a class and that professor will make what a coach makes. Until then, they wont.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:35 PM, 83Dee said:

Injuries contributed no doubt. But you could also look at it like this - this is year 3  of coaching and recruiting under this coaching staff.  If you’re a “good program” I can buy a bump in the road for 9 new starters.  But this defense ranks as one of the worst in school history.  It’s a tough lot trying to defend that - new starters or not. 

Good win today.  

You lost Bru McCoy before the season started. You lost DG Floyd indefinitely. You lost a RB (Brown) for an undetermined length of time.

Recruiting to refill the depth has had some weird twists and turns. 

And thats before you talk about the injuries to two veteran (sorta) safeties, one of which is an AA candidate. You lost a starting LB with Floyd before the season began. McCollough struggled with injuries all season. And we suffered some growing pains at the corners.

I felt Overshown should have been on the field every single play. He just makes plays and we needed more of that. Don't understand TO's hesitation with him.

I think we'll end up with a DC who plays a 4-man front. It will be interesting to see the difference.

9 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You lost Bru McCoy before the season started. You lost DG Floyd indefinitely. You lost a RB (Brown) for an undetermined length of time.

And thats before you talk about the injuries to two veteran (sorta) safeties, one of which is an AA candidate. You lost a starting LB with Floyd before the season began. McCollough struggled with injuries all season. And we suffered some growing pains at the corners.

I felt Overshown should have been on the field every single play. He just makes plays and we needed more of that. Don't understand TO's hesitation with him.

I think we'll end up with a DC who plays a 4-man front. It will be interesting to see the difference.

Agree.  

On 11/29/2019 at 10:35 PM, 83Dee said:

Injuries contributed no doubt. But you could also look at it like this - this is year 3  of coaching and recruiting under this coaching staff.  If you’re a “good program” I can buy a bump in the road for 9 new starters.  But this defense ranks as one of the worst in school history.  It’s a tough lot trying to defend that - new starters or not. 

Good win today.  

You are kidding, right?  Herman’s first recruiting class was put together with string and bubble gum after Strong quit recruiting early his last season. We were really fortunate to get the players we did, including a few diehard Longhorns like Ehlinger. 

I freely admit that I am no x’s snd o’s pro, heck it’s easy to see that I’m much more of a cheerleader. That said, Herman’s first real class was BJ, Caden, and all of those other sophomore starters you saw gut it out through injuries. They are warriors, much like Ehlinger. But even warriors are not as effective when they are injured. 

I saw one of them, may have been Brandon Jones knocking people down but never using one of his shoulders (left I think). I was pretty sure he was playing hurt because he knew we needed him out there that much. 

The Offense:  Recall the haphazard, lackluster series we saw during the first quarter. I was pretty certain that was Beck’s final exam which he flagged badly. 

Now consider the cohesive offense we saw later in the game. The offense where one play set up another, the offense that drove down the field and scored. The players were the same. The opponents were the same. Who do you think was calling those plays?  I would bet lots of cash that it was Herman.  

Herman took responsibility because he made the hires. I think it’s a shame that Orlando had to go. Beck was in way over his head, as was Wareheim. 

It’s time to quit bashing Herman. CDC isn’t looking over Herman’s shoulder. He is relieving him of some of the due diligence that is required when someone is hired for a job at a place like Texas. 

Due diligence that Urban Meyer should have done when he hired Zack Smith and others. (There you go, Urban, you sanctimonious mouthpiece.)

Herman, hire the best darn offensive & defensive minds out there, and let’s roll in the W’s!!

Hook ‘em!

I comments from many different areas speculating that things are moving quickly but I would be somewhat surprised if the new OC and DC are hired before next week. In truth, I would be a little disappointed if there were. This is a monumental decision in the immediate and long term future of the program and a quick hire is not always the most effective. Waiting a few extra days to talk to all of your most ideal candidates would seem to me to be the most prudent course. Even if it means waiting until they have completed their regular season and or conference championship. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Overshown was injured, or so I heard.  When he played, he was amazing.