Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

*****GAME THREAD: Texas Longhorns @ #13 Baylor Bears*****

18 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I tentatively disagree.  

I don’t think Orlando is a good fit at a blue-Blood program.  I think his defense is designed for a directional school that doesn’t match up man for man.  It is all about deception and trickery and not about beating your man.  Blue bloods, for example, ought to be able to get a semblance of a pass rush from superior D Linemen.  I honestly don’t think pressure from the DL is in our design.  A safety led Texas in sacks last year if I’m not mistaken.  

I don’t think I should EVER look up and see THE University of Texas with a total of 1 defensive lineman on the field. This is a package we use at times on passing downs.   

I think offense, defense and last but NOT least special teams are the problem.  

Right now we are ranked 102 out of 130 in sacking the QB.

The way Orlando runs our three man defensive line does not provide any prevention against running around the end. Their tackles just block down on our defensive ends who are set up inside them. Supposedly a linebacker is supposed to cover end runs but that almost never happens. Guess who is the positional coach for linebackers. Orlando. They are the worst coached unit on the field.

Both Orlando and Beck and several others should go, or Beck should at least be demoted.

4 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I actually agree with much of what you say.  

Texas fans are historically quick to turn on a coach.  It can become so overwhelming that it kills a coaches ability to recruit talent.  I remember walking to a Texas game toward the end of the great Fred Akers era and seeing a sheet hanging out the window of a dorm room with “Fire Fred” painted on it.  I also agree with you it is premature to fire Herman after year 3. 

But not parting with Herman after this year is based entirely on the belief that firing after only 3 years looks bad.  If he comes back, UT should apologize to Charlie Strong for a premature firing.  “we aren’t there with Herman yet” (as opposed to Mackovic and McWilliams) I disagree.  I would suggest we are witnessing ineptitude on the field about as bad as any I have seen since the late 70s and that is saying a lot.  This ineptitude is in areas that I believe point directly at coaching.  For example: 

Texas leads the Big 12 in missed tackles

Texas leads the Big 12 in sacks allowed 

> Texas leads the Big 12 in penalties

This ^^^^ in year 3 of CTH!

Here are some further observations that I also believe point directly back to coaching and preparation:

>  I haven’t researched percentages but it seems our opponent scores a TD on their first possession just about every game!  If this isn’t preparation, I’m not sure what is?

We are on year 3 of the worst special teams I have ever seen!  Specifically punt and Kickoff return.  How many years does it take to teach returners when to / and when to not field a punt? 

So, I get what you’re saying…. Crying in public doesn’t help matters.  But bringing Herman back - new coordinators or not is likely just delaying the inevitable.  

Yes, what you say is true. My defense is as much of the university as it is Herman... about the process and prospects for future coaches, etc.

However I disagree on Herman's ability to turn it around, but only by a matter of degrees. This is where stats really aren't much help, just an observational thing. 

If he is able to turn it around, it's impossible by changing both coordinators at the same time. I never recall a situation where that happened when a coach wasn't just buying time. And if we are going to change just one coordinator, that should be Beck. 

I believe Herman's biggest mistake upon accepting the job was salvaging Beck from osu. A year later Herman is having to take over play calling duties, or this play calling by committee - whatever the heck is going on. There just aren't many situations where a HC has successfully called plays for very long, which takes his focus away from everything else.

Either way he was stuck with Beck to try and make it work.  Which it did - but only in ideal conditions. Once the wheels got wobbly and injuries piled up, Herman got underwater quickly. Without a better offensive staff to get backups ready things absolutely fell apart.

Also (which is more observational) I give Orlando more credit than the stats will show. I think it's more difficult to replace the entire secondary than swapping out WRs. Without BJ, Sterns, Green, etc, the defense just didn't work. And since we play man most of the time, that's a lot more about instinct than just reps and really difficult to replace. 

However with all of those guys back, the defense has held the last 3 opponents to around 25 points... under their season averages. In the B12 that'll play. But only scoring around 20 on offense will not work. 

Overall it's hard to ignore the progress made the last 2 season. Herman was doing something right (since he sure didn't inherit institutional excellence from Strong). So I honestly think he can turn it around if he gets the right OC to help fix things. 

25 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Yes, what you say is true. My defense is as much of the university as it is Herman... about the process and prospects for future coaches, etc.

However I disagree on Herman's ability to turn it around, but only by a matter of degrees. This is where stats really aren't much help, just an observational thing. 

If he is able to turn it around, it's impossible by changing both coordinators at the same time. I never recall a situation where that happened when a coach wasn't just buying time. And if we are going to change just one coordinator, that should be Beck. 

I believe Herman's biggest mistake upon accepting the job was salvaging Beck from osu. A year later Herman is having to take over play calling duties, or this play calling by committee - whatever the heck is going on. There just aren't many situations where a HC has successfully called plays for very long, which takes his focus away from everything else.

Either way he was stuck with Beck to try and make it work.  Which it did - but only in ideal conditions. Once the wheels got wobbly and injuries piled up, Herman got underwater quickly. Without a better offensive staff to get backups ready things absolutely fell apart.

Also (which is more observational) I give Orlando more credit than the stats will show. I think it's more difficult to replace the entire secondary than swapping out WRs. Without BJ, Sterns, Green, etc, the defense just didn't work. And since we play man most of the time, that's a lot more about instinct than just reps and really difficult to replace. 

However with all of those guys back, the defense has held the last 3 opponents to around 25 points... under their season averages. In the B12 that'll play. But only scoring around 20 on offense will not work. 

Overall it's hard to ignore the progress made the last 2 season. Herman was doing something right (since he sure didn't inherit institutional excellence from Strong). So I honestly think he can turn it around if he gets the right OC to help fix things. 

Herman needs to be given another year at the very least for some continuity. Texas can't afford to restart every 3 years. Hiring Beck in hind sight was a mistake. It has led to the offensive quagmire we are witnessing, the offense by committee isn't working and Herman's duties as a head coach have also seemed to suffer. I also think Mehringer, Warehime and Meekins need to go.

One thing I wonder is why everyone already knows Larry Fedora is being shown the door? Why is his job's disposition less secret than anyone else on the staff?

I think Orlando should be back as well, but Herman needs to kick him in the butt if things go downhill again. I get it with the injuries and inexperience but Orlando has to be able to adapt and modify his system on the fly.

8 hours ago, Bear19 said:

Orlando has shown that he cannot adapt. He needs to go.

Over the years it has amused me how Texas fans tend to fall in love with the DC and absolutely loathe the OC.   

i Know I’m in the minority here but if I were going to relieve a coordinator of their duties at UT, the DC would come first.  I am more troubled by what I see on that side of the ball. 

Well, unless you consider whoever runs the special teams a “coordinator.” 

Orlando was very successful at UH. 

Orlando's defense shut down Lamar Jackson and Louisville and basically ended his Heisman campaign.

The one difference to me is Orlando had the luxury of having Ed Oliver on his DL which terrorized QB's and RB's.

We havent had a great pass rush guy in the middle since big Macolm Brown.  Our Dl recruiting has been shit for years.  Koburn is good but he isnt Ed Oliver type

21 hours ago, Baron said:

Herman needs to be given another year at the very least for some continuity. Texas can't afford to restart every 3 years. Hiring Beck in hind sight was a mistake. It has led to the offensive quagmire we are witnessing, the offense by committee isn't working and Herman's duties as a head coach have also seemed to suffer. I also think Mehringer, Warehime and Meekins need to go.

One thing I wonder is why everyone already knows Larry Fedora is being shown the door? Why is his job's disposition less secret than anyone else on the staff?

I think Orlando should be back as well, but Herman needs to kick him in the butt if things go downhill again. I get it with the injuries and inexperience but Orlando has to be able to adapt and modify his system on the fly.

There was no hind sight when Herman hired Beck. The majority of UT fans didn't like it just as we didn't like it when Strong hired Shawn Watson,

Larry Fedora is still getting North Carolina money. I don't believe he was shown the door.

If Orlando is not the answer and things go downhill then Herman may not get another chance next year.