Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

*****GAME THREAD: Texas Longhorns @ #13 Baylor Bears*****

GDSDCTXFB.jpg

With two games left on the 2019 football schedule, the Texas Longhorns (6-4, 4-3) have an opportunity to salvage what currently stands as a mediocre football season. The Longhorns will need a win over the #13 Baylor Bears in Waco to reach win no. 7 on the season, which presents a tall task for a Texas team that has played with inconsistency throughout the season. Tom Herman holds a perfect 2-0 against Baylor as a head coach, and a win for the Longhorns would secure a winning season for Texas.

Texas is coming off a close road loss to Iowa State in which quarterback Sam Ehlinger threw three touchdown passes. Baylor lost their first game of the season last weekend to #10 Oklahoma, 34-31, but Matt Rhule’s team remains tied atop the Big 12 Standings with Oklahoma.

A victory against the Bears would extend the Texas win-streak over Baylor to five. Texas is 19-20 in games under Tom Herman in games which they have outgained their opponent, which means Ehlinger and the offense must make the most of every possession. If the Texas offense can dominate Baylor, Texas likely leaves McLane Stadium with a win.

txbu.png

What: Texas Longhorns (6-4, 4-3 Big 12) vs. Baylor Bears (9-1, 6-1 Big-12)
When: Saturday, November 23, 2019
Time:  2:30 PM CST
Venue: McLane Stadium
Television: FS1
The Line: Baylor -5.5

Last Meeting Between the Two Teams: Texas defeated Baylor 23-17 (October 13, 2018, Austin, TX)
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads Baylor 78-26-4

Relevant Articles & Information:

1 hour ago, HornSports Staff said:

GDSDCTXFB.jpg

With two games left on the 2019 football schedule, the Texas Longhorns (6-4, 4-3) have an opportunity to salvage what currently stands as a mediocre football season. The Longhorns will need a win over the #13 Baylor Bears in Waco to reach win no. 7 on the season, which presents a tall task for a Texas team that has played with inconsistency throughout the season. Tom Herman holds a perfect 2-0 against Baylor as a head coach, and a win for the Longhorns would secure a winning season for Texas.

Texas is coming off a close road loss to Iowa State in which quarterback Sam Ehlinger threw three touchdown passes. Baylor lost their first game of the season last weekend to #10 Oklahoma, 34-31, but Matt Rhule’s team remains tied atop the Big 12 Standings with Oklahoma.

A victory against the Bears would extend the Texas win-streak over Baylor to five. Texas is 19-20 in games under Tom Herman in games which they have outgained their opponent, which means Ehlinger and the offense must make the most of every possession. If the Texas offense can dominate Baylor, Texas likely leaves McLane Stadium with a win.

txbu.png

What: Texas Longhorns (6-4, 4-3 Big 12) vs. Baylor Bears (9-1, 6-1 Big-12)
When: Saturday, November 23, 2019
Time:  2:30 PM CST
Venue: McLane Stadium
Television: FS1
The Line: Baylor -5.5

Last Meeting Between the Two Teams: Texas defeated Baylor 23-17 (October 13, 2018, Austin, TX)
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads Baylor 78-26-4

Relevant Articles & Information:

Would love to see the bailor rapists lose this one to give at least some happiness to Horn fans these days. I expect this to be a lopsided loss for UT though. Hope I'm wrong. Tired of my Saturdays being tarnished by the way Horns have played/been coached. 

Two programs, one with lesser talent recruited year after year and one coach paid significantly less than the other, both been at their respective schools the same exact amount of time to turn their programs around. See if you can determine the team with fewer resources.

1 minute ago, Hiwood said:

its not the plays being called...Texas doesnt have the playmakers and game changers, Sam has lost a bit  of his mojo..Guess we aren't back

That..... i was going to include this assessment in my post above that every year aggies claim our recruits get ranking bumps. TBH, I can't point to any data that counters that point, either that or our coaching staff is substandard, its one or the other. Its clear on the field against every team this year we dont look any better then the other team. We arent' any faster, our players aren't athletically better than the ones across the field.

Sam hasn't even looked like hes even in the top 5 in THE BIG 12 much less a heisman candidate. Its laughable, and I swear if I hear his name mentioned next year as a candidate I'm going to lose it. He doesn't deserve it, i don't care how good the team is next year.

Just now, Bevostuntdouble said:

The OL has been putrid and there’s no run game. What’s Sam supposed to do? And the play calling has been putrid. Screens and swing passes allllll day everyday. 

I don't disagree with you, but Sam hasn't been as accurate as at least 5 other big 12 qb's Ive seen us play this year. TCU, OSU, K St., Iowa St., Baylor all have more accurate qb's that Ive witnessed this year, thats not including OU and LSU's qb.

1 minute ago, aUTfan said:

I don't disagree with you, but Sam hasn't been as accurate as at least 5 other big 12 qb's Ive seen us play this year. TCU, OSU, K St., Iowa St., Baylor all have more accurate qb's that Ive witnessed this year, thats not including OU and LSU's qb.

I totally agree. But I think a lot of it has to do with how Tom is calling the games. We are being out coached every single week. Even in wins it feels like we are out coached. Sam is def not what he was. 

1 minute ago, aUTfan said:

Who can he throw to? Defenses shut down Duvernay and no one is open. That's not on Sam. We aren't coaching offense well.

1 minute ago, Captain Hookem said:

Who can he throw to? Defenses shut down Duvernay and no one is open. That's not on Sam. We aren't coaching offense well.

True, not going to argue with you, it's all opinion, its just an eye test from watching the games this year. it can come back to the recruits being over rated or a substandard coaching staff, one or the other. But he did miss a wide open receiver earlier in this baylor game and hes missed several in key moments. he missed one wide open in the LSU game, would have been a touch down. Keep watching, I"m sure he will miss another wide open receiver, he usually throws high on those and hes not going to be pressured anymore then any other qb is.