Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

Texas falls short of comeback in Ames, loses 23-21 to Iowa State

Hermans on the hot seat right now! This team is poorly coached in all phases of the game. These players are making too many bonehead mistakes, poor execution, slow starts in just about every game..what do the coaches do every week to be ready for gameday? The offense gains zero to negative yds on 1st and 2nd down..no wonder they are one of the top 3rd down offense..heres a suggestion tom..why dont you run the third down plays on 1st or second down? Geez its not so complicated. The kickoff and punt teams were terrible so now they just fair catch everytime..wth? Teach these kids how to and when not to field a punt or kickoff..its not complicated. I dont even want to start with the DB's. My guess is that Brewer and Mims will have career days on sat. Why not? Every other qb,wr has done it this season against us..I dont expect that to change on sat. Even with all that im praying for a win..time to light the candle!

4 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Another name to file away for OC is Matt Drinkall. Already knows the power spread offense Herman wants to run. And saying he "knows" it, is probably an understatement. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/design-offense-scores-54-points-game-keep-simple-stupid/

This offense currently does none of those things

2 hours ago, The Tinman said:

Hermans on the hot seat right now! This team is poorly coached in all phases of the game. These players are making too many bonehead mistakes, poor execution, slow starts in just about every game..what do the coaches do every week to be ready for gameday? The offense gains zero to negative yds on 1st and 2nd down..no wonder they are one of the top 3rd down offense..heres a suggestion tom..why dont you run the third down plays on 1st or second down? Geez its not so complicated. The kickoff and punt teams were terrible so now they just fair catch everytime..wth? Teach these kids how to and when not to field a punt or kickoff..its not complicated. I dont even want to start with the DB's. My guess is that Brewer and Mims will have career days on sat. Why not? Every other qb,wr has done it this season against us..I dont expect that to change on sat. Even with all that im praying for a win..time to light the candle!

I think I will have posted this now on every relevant thread. Players become intimidated, pissed or tentative when they constantly get their asses chewed.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:10 PM, Randolph Duke said:

I have no interest in publicly humiliating Tom Herman, but so far he has failed. And I have no interest in putting up with any more of his post failure press conferences where he makes it clear he isn’t getting it that the problem lies at his feet. 

Failing?... Receivership?... Come on now.

Honestly this is the point where fans go from passionate to unrealistic. There were a lot of people calling for Mack's head after he lost 3 straight in '99, and lost to ou several times in a row, and wouldn't fire Greg Davis, etc. Mack left some birdies out there for sure, but what would we give for that kind of success now?

A little perspective - Herman is in his 3rd year of a rebuild here at Texas, and not even 5 years into being a HC overall. He is currently struggling without a doubt, but at worst one can say that improvement has stalled. Up to 2-3 games ago signs were pointing up, having drastically improved this program over what it was before. 

Herman has his faults. He can come across as arrogrant, but geez...  what HC can you think without a large ego? Anyone ever watch Bill Belichik and think he's dripping with humility? The only HC presser that was ever worthwhile was Bill Parcells, whose weekly Q&A was like a master class. Everybody else fills up time with coach speak. I still get tremors from hearing Dave Campo say, "I gotta watch the film" for the *millionth* time instead of answer a post-game question. Point being, HC pressers are essentially worthless, and I don't understand how anyone can draw a conclusion on a HC based on them. 

Like the defense struggling under Strong ( a former DC), the offense struggling under Herman is the most frustrating thing right now. Just in watching them play, when Collin is out of the game the offense really struggles to move the ball consistently. Herman made a risky choice in salvaging Beck from osu, and that gamble does not appear to be paying off right now. In year 3, with a top level QB like Sam the offense should be more consistent right now, but it's not. 

Herman did try to bring in a DC, but Arranda chose lsu (with rumors of others at the time but hard to know).  The defense has certainly struggled at times the last two seasons after showing a lot of promise. I'm not yet convinced Orlando is a bad DC. After adopting and installing a completely new defense midseason (that we ironically got from isu) the defense played really well for a while. I'd rather have someone with a malleable approach to new situations than bringing in a 'system' guy. 

Overall, both Herman and Orlando are young coaches. And we hired Herman knowing he was a young and fairly inexperienced HC, so seeing him having to learn some on the job isn't that surprising. 

It is fair to ask, "What is failing?" That's a hard question to answer, but we know Strong was failing... losing records every season, losing to teams we had no business losing to, and ultimately being unable to recruit because of lost program momentum. That's the death knell for a college coach when they can no longer bring in talent.  

Again, up until 3 games ago everything was improving. Texas was getting better every year, recruiting was strong, and the program had momentum. Do folks really want to start over... *everything over*... on a 3 game slump? I sure don't cause I know what starting over looks like after seeing it done 5 or 6 times.

Overall, Herman still has a chance to turn things around. But I saw people turn on Mack early, and some wanted to be right a lot more than they wanted to see Texas win. Those folks never really got to enjoy the success later because they had entrenched themselves so deeply in their own opinions. Texas has been stuck in mediocrity for quite a while, but it's not Herman's fault we hired Strong first (and Mack decided we needed an 'sec offense'). This decade of football has really been quite horrible, but that doesn't change the fact it can take more than 3 seasons to turn it around. 

2 hours ago, Baron said:

I think I will have posted this now on every relevant thread. Players become intimidated, pissed or tentative when they constantly get their asses chewed.

Are you saying you think is happening? Or are saying you know this is happening? And, if you are saying you know, what is your source?

39 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Are you saying you think is happening? Or are saying you know this is happening? And, if you are saying you know, what is your source?

I'm saying I think this is happening. Piecing everything together from what I have heard and read, and adding that to my own experiences, this is my opinion.

18 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

Honestly this is the point where fans go from passionate to unrealistic. There were a lot of people calling for Mack's head after he lost 3 straight in '99, and lost to ou several times in a row, and wouldn't fire Greg Davis, etc. Mack left some birdies out there for sure, but what would we give for that kind of success now?

A little perspective - Herman is in his 3rd year of a rebuild here at Texas, and not even 5 years into being a HC overall. He is currently struggling without a doubt, but at worst one can say that improvement has stalled. Up to 2-3 games ago signs were pointing up, having drastically improved this program over what it was before. 

Herman has his faults. He can come across as arrogrant, but geez...  what HC can you think without a large ego? Anyone ever watch Bill Belichik and think he's dripping with humility? The only HC presser that was ever worthwhile was Bill Parcells, whose weekly Q&A was like a master class. Everybody else fills up time with coach speak. I still get tremors from hearing Dave Campo say, "I gotta watch the film" for the *millionth* time instead of answer a post-game question. Point being, HC pressers are essentially worthless, and I don't understand how anyone can draw a conclusion on a HC based on them. 

Like the defense struggling under Strong ( a former DC), the offense struggling under Herman is the most frustrating thing right now. Just in watching them play, when Collin is out of the game the offense really struggles to move the ball consistently. Herman made a risky choice in salvaging Beck from osu, and that gamble does not appear to be paying off right now. In year 3, with a top level QB like Sam the offense should be more consistent right now, but it's not. 

Herman did try to bring in a DC, but Arranda chose lsu (with rumors of others at the time but hard to know).  The defense has certainly struggled at times the last two seasons after showing a lot of promise. I'm not yet convinced Orlando is a bad DC. After adopting and installing a completely new defense midseason (that we ironically got from isu) the defense played really well for a while. I'd rather have someone with a malleable approach to new situations than bringing in a 'system' guy. 

Overall, both Herman and Orlando are young coaches. And we hired Herman knowing he was a young and fairly inexperienced HC, so seeing him having to learn some on the job isn't that surprising. 

It is fair to ask, "What is failing?" That's a hard question to answer, but we know Strong was failing... losing records every season, losing to teams we had no business losing to, and ultimately being unable to recruit because of lost program momentum. That's the death knell for a college coach when they can no longer bring in talent.  

Again, up until 3 games ago everything was improving. Texas was getting better every year, recruiting was strong, and the program had momentum. Do folks really want to start over... *everything over*... on a 3 game slump? I sure don't cause I know what starting over looks like after seeing it done 5 or 6 times.

Overall, Herman still has a chance to turn things around. But I saw people turn on Mack early, and some wanted to be right a lot more than they wanted to see Texas win. Those folks never really got to enjoy the success later because they had entrenched themselves so deeply in their own opinions. Texas has been stuck in mediocrity for quite a while, but it's not Herman's fault we hired Strong first (and Mack decided we needed an 'sec offense'). This decade of football has really been quite horrible, but that doesn't change the fact it can take more than 3 seasons to turn it around. 

I'm not sure what UT fans you were hanging out with in 1999. Mack was a king in 1999 and no one wanted his head. He had charmed everyone after being hired and then took Texas to a 9-3 record after the Mackovic mess and helped Ricky win the Heisman. Then Mack had the #1 recruiting class in the nation and the #1 player in Chris Simms. I was on Hornfans at the time which was the largest horn site at the time. There was no UT fans that wanted Mack's head during his first five seasons. You must have been hanging out with some crummy UT fans.

Before the 2004 season there was talk about Steve Spurrier taking over if UT didn't have a big season. I was member of Orangebloods  which was the largest UT fan board at the time. However, Vince took the team to the Rose Bowl and the next year UT won the NC. I can assure you that any UT fan that was unhappy with Mack before 2004 enjoyed the NC season just as much as anyone else. If you knew UT fans that didn't then they must of have depression issues.

You are not doing Herman any favors by comparing him to the two Bills. If Herman was anywhere near as successful as Belichick and Parcells then he would be tolerated. However, when your arrogant and your teams under performs then that's a bad combination.

You mentioned that Herman is a young coach. Yes, part of hiring a 42 year coach is that your going to get a coach that can hopefully grow as he attains more experience. However, winning has to be a part of it. Lincoln Riley is eight years younger than Herman and his record at OU at 33-5. One of the reasons Herman was hired was because he turned around UH right away. The Head Coach at Texas is not a learn on the job position or if it is then it has a shelf life of four years.

You asked what is failing. Everyone has a different opinion on that. A few of mind are special teams, penalties, not playing in the Big 12 championship game in Herman's third year, having a offensive line that helped us to average 2.0 against Iowa State, and Herman running those last three plays turtle like against Iowa State. I could go on.

I have not seen one person on this board call for Herman to fired after the season. Therefore, your give Herman a chance speech doesn't make sense. Everyone here is in favor of giving Herman a fourth season and as UT fans I'm sure we will all be rooting for him. Orlando is another matter and his job is on the line for the next two games.

Your final statement said that it can take more than three years to turn a program around. The way Herman has coached so far it sure will. Not at Baylor or LSU. The majority of the time a good coach can turn it around in three years.

19 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

More than three seasons to turn things around. Baylors coach says hi.

14 minutes ago, primal defense said:
I'm not sure what UT fans you were hanging out with in 1999. Mack was a king in 1999 and no one wanted his head. He had charmed everyone after being hired and then took Texas to a 9-3 record after the Mackovic mess and helped Ricky win the Heisman. Then Mack had the #1 recruiting class in the nation and the #1 player in Chris Simms. I was on Hornfans at the time which was the largest horn site at the time. There was no UT fans that wanted Mack's head during his first five seasons. You must have been hanging out with some crummy UT fans.

Before the 2004 season there was talk about Steve Spurrier taking over if UT didn't have a big season. I was member of Orangebloods  which was the largest UT fan board at the time. However, Vince took the team to the Rose Bowl and the next year UT won the NC. I can assure you that any UT fan that was unhappy with Mack before 2004 enjoyed the NC season just as much as anyone else. If you knew UT fans that didn't then they must of have depression issues.

You are not doing Herman any favors by comparing him to the two Bills. If Herman was anywhere near as successful as Belichick and Parcells then he would be tolerated. However, when your arrogant and your teams under performs then that's a bad combination.

You mentioned that Herman is a young coach. Yes, part of hiring a 42 year coach is that your going to get a coach that can hopefully grow as he attains more experience. However, winning has to be a part of it. Lincoln Riley is eight years younger than Herman and his record at OU at 33-5. One of the reasons Herman was hired was because he turned around UH right away. The Head Coach at Texas is not a learn on the job position or if it is then it has a shelf life of four years.

You asked what is failing. Everyone has a different opinion on that. A few of mind are special teams, penalties, not playing in the Big 12 championship game in Herman's third year, having a offensive line that helped us to average 2.0 against Iowa State, and Herman running those last three plays turtle like against Iowa State. I could go on.

I have not seen one person on this board call for Herman to fired after the season. Therefore, your give Herman a chance speech doesn't make sense. Everyone here is in favor of giving Herman a fourth season and as UT fans I'm sure we will all be rooting for him. Orlando is another matter and his job is on the line for the next two games.

Your final statement said that it can take more than three years to turn a program around. The way Herman has coached so far it sure will. Not at Baylor or LSU. The majority of the time a good coach can turn it around in three years.

How quickly some forget the internets of 20 years ago. Although I guess it's not that quick, but your memory fails you nonetheless. Either way I guess a history lesson is in order...

After Texas got soundly defeated by both nebraska and then arkie, there were similar alarm bells sounding about Mack's ability to coach in the 'big time'. Mack could 'never win the big one'... he could 'never beat Florida State'... etc,  AND etc. To many that represented their worst fears about Mack,. Those who had not been on board with his hire were the first to start calling for his head. Then folks wanted Mack fired because he couldn't beat (or got walloped) by ou. Others wanted him fired because he was too stubborn to fire Greg Davis. 

A lot of those complaints are very similar to the ones today, where 3 years of a turnaround is just WAY too much time for some people. And yes, I have seen people start saying that Herman needs to be replaced. Right now it comes with demands, 'Herman needs to go IF he doesn't blah, blah, etc' but the chatter is the same as when Mack was here. 

And I'm not comparing Herman to the Bills. If you read more closely I was comparing HC press conferences in general (that I said were generally worthless).

You do a disservice by comparing him to Lincoln Riley, who was handed the keys to a championship level program. Herman was asked to rebuild a program from scratch *again*. We'll likely see growing pains for Riley as well at some point, but when the program is that much further along the HC has the benefit of a larger margin of error. 

3 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

More than three seasons to turn things around. Baylors coach says hi.

Notre dame and usc (and michigan and...) are behind them screaming 'HELLOOOOO'. 

One exception doesn't make the rule. We'll see how long the shine on Baylor lasts.