Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

*****GAME THREAD - Texas Longhorns @ Iowa State Cyclones*****

11 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I love Sam... and I don’t know why (though I could guess) but he has regressed.  He even looks tentative out there now.  

Pre-game they said ISU had an advantage at QB.  Pre-season Sam was on a list of Heisman hopefuls.  We have been outplayed at that position in every one of our losses... even though Sam played great in the LSU game.  

It’s hard for any offensive player to ok good when the opposing defense knows what’s you’re doing.  In week 2 the LSU defense knew what was coming on the goal line and stonewalled it multiple times.  This offensive staff is the least creative staff I’ve ever seen.  An OC is supposed to find the weakness in the defense and exploit it.  This staff, whoever is actually calling the plays, just does what we do and hope it works.  The DC is supposed to play his personnel to best stop the opposin offense. Orlando does what he does, even with a bunch injured in the backend and hopes for good results.  Fact is, this staff is incompetent.  

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Kicker and punter are off the table.  Can anyone name me one position group that is NOT performing beneath expectations?  I cannot.  

This team as a whole has regressed a lot ‘this season.

Texas

When Texas was able to reach the 10-win mark with an impressive win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl at the end of the 2018 season, it took the usual hype surrounding the Longhorns to a new level entering 2019. All offseason, we heard that Texas was a legitimate College Football Playoff contender despite the number of contributors it lost from its defense. The high level of recruiting would keep the momentum rolling and Texas was set to return to glory in Tom Herman’s third year, right? Wrong. 

After losing 23-21 to Iowa State on Saturday, Herman’s team dropped to 6-4 on the year and is meandering toward a middling bowl game. The way Texas performed on Saturday — in the first half especially — didn’t much resemble the team that played LSU tight back in Week 2. Since then, UT lost to Oklahoma, TCU and Iowa State, and it needed last-second field goals to beat Kansas and Kansas State. 

Herman has always pointed to the hole he needed to dig out from previous coaching regimes to get Texas back on top of the Big 12 and beyond. He still has a long way to go — if it’s something he can do at all. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/winners-and-losers-week-12-texas-michigan-state-top-list-of-most-disappointing-teams-in-college-football/ar-BBWSjnm

2 minutes ago, primal defense said:

WINNERS AND LOSERS WEEK 12: TEXAS, MICHIGAN STATE TOP LIST OF MOST DISAPPOINTING TEAMS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Texas

When Texas was able to reach the 10-win mark with an impressive win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl at the end of the 2018 season, it took the usual hype surrounding the Longhorns to a new level entering 2019. All offseason, we heard that Texas was a legitimate College Football Playoff contender despite the number of contributors it lost from its defense. The high level of recruiting would keep the momentum rolling and Texas was set to return to glory in Tom Herman’s third year, right? Wrong. 

After losing 23-21 to Iowa State on Saturday, Herman’s team dropped to 6-4 on the year and is meandering toward a middling bowl game. The way Texas performed on Saturday — in the first half especially — didn’t much resemble the team that played LSU tight back in Week 2. Since then, UT lost to Oklahoma, TCU and Iowa State, and it needed last-second field goals to beat Kansas and Kansas State. 

Herman has always pointed to the hole he needed to dig out from previous coaching regimes to get Texas back on top of the Big 12 and beyond. He still has a long way to go — if it’s something he can do at all. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/winners-and-losers-week-12-texas-michigan-state-top-list-of-most-disappointing-teams-in-college-football/ar-BBWSjnm

7 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Kicker and punter are off the table.  Can anyone name me one position group that is NOT performing beneath expectations?  I cannot.  

WR

While Collins has struggled to stay healthy, he has performed well when he's played, save the OU game.

Devurney has certainly exceeded expectations.

And I'll point to Brennan Eagles and the improvement he's made. The TD catch he made against ISU was insane concentration there at the pylon. IMO, Eagles will exceed what CJ has done before he's out of here.

9 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I will speak up for our two running backs. I thought Keaontay ingram started slow because of injury issues, but I believe Keaontay and Roschon Johnson are two high quality RBs.

They ran for 21 carries for 176 yards against Kansas State which shows when they get blocking they can perform. They ran for 14 carries for 27 yards against Iowa State. To my eyes they didn't have a place to run. I'm a big believer in Bijan Robinson, however I don't think he would have done anything with that kind of blocking.

Herman makes a big deal on what a tough team he has with his bloody Tuesday. A team can really show how tough they are by running the ball and the other team can't do anything about it. Our O line can't do that.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:32 PM, North Texas Golfer said:

Okay, I'm as big of Herman supporter as you will find. But he's full of shit if he doesn't think he got out-coached. We have to have one of the dumbest teams I've ever seen.

I'm not for firing Tom, but if he doesn't make some coaching changes, I don't know if he can ever get us where we should be. He needs to bring in a much better DC and and an innovative, creative OC. And I would probably replace 2-3 of the other assistant coaches. 

What Herman outcoached?  Say it aint so!!   DId you leave the ruby slippers at home?

Sunshine pump machine is out or order today folks but fear not NTG, Chapstick should help those chapped lips from kissing Herman's overrated ass.  You will probably need it after this weekend.  Hopefully not but it seems inevitable doesnt it?

I would say you sound kind of Negative Nancy but Realistic Ron is more like it.

This team has regressed and not just on defense. 

Total Yards:

Iowa State - 466 

Texas - 327

If you couldnt see that after the Kansas game then maybe you should pull your head out of Hermans ass.

Preseason was all about making playoffs and contending for a NC. 

Lower the bar, win the big 12

Lower the bar, In tom Hermans own words "Have a better record versus other in state schools"  WTF is that?  Oh wait "WERE TEXAS"

There is a culture issue in this program.  It starts with getting rid of LHN and all the other non football related BS that distracts from actually coaching a football team. 

20 hours ago, primal defense said:

I will speak up for our two running backs. I thought Keaontay ingram started slow because of injury issues, but I believe Keaontay and Roschon Johnson are two high quality RBs.

They ran for 21 carries for 176 yards against Kansas State which shows when they get blocking they can perform. They ran for 14 carries for 27 yards against Iowa State. To my eyes they didn't have a place to run. I'm a big believer in Bijan Robinson, however I don't think he would have done anything with that kind of blocking.

Herman makes a big deal on what a tough team he has with his bloody Tuesday. A team can really show how tough they are by running the ball and the other team can't do anything about it. Our O line can't do that.

I’ll briefly address these points. 
both RBs are good quality backs.

gary Patterson’s and Matt Campbell’s defensive staffs ate Herman’s offensive gameplan for lunch.  We made no adjustments.  

you can be tough and get outcoavhed/out schemed

10 hours ago, DMAC said:

What Herman outcoached?  Say it aint so!!   DId you leave the ruby slippers at home?

Sunshine pump machine is out or order today folks but fear not NTG, Chapstick should help those chapped lips from kissing Herman's overrated ass.  You will probably need it after this weekend.  Hopefully not but it seems inevitable doesnt it?

I would say you sound kind of Negative Nancy but Realistic Ron is more like it.

This team has regressed and not just on defense. 

Total Yards:

Iowa State - 466 

Texas - 327

If you couldnt see that after the Kansas game then maybe you should pull your head out of Hermans ass.

Preseason was all about making playoffs and contending for a NC. 

Lower the bar, win the big 12

Lower the bar, In tom Hermans own words "Have a better record versus other in state schools"  WTF is that?  Oh wait "WERE TEXAS"

There is a culture issue in this program.  It starts with getting rid of LHN and all the other non football related BS that distracts from actually coaching a football team. 

I must admit I didn’t (couldn’t find the desire) watch the ISU game. I literally can’t stomach anymore of this team. I suppose I am the epitome of a fair weather fan but I wasn’t always. 
When Herman was hired I was extremely disappointed. I felt that we were hiring the exact same coach we had just run off aside from the fact that Coach Strong was the type of man that made me want him to succeed. It was clear he wasn’t the right choice. I posted my displeasure immediately and it continued through year one and after the second Maryland disaster I knew he was nothing more than big talking, snake oil salesmen, who had no clue how to fix the team. As the year progressed and the team did as well I started to think I may have been wrong. I still thought he was a pompous ass but if he could get the results I didn’t care. He was doing a great job recruiting and we seemed to be getting over “the hump” I assumed once these 4 and 5 star recruits matured we would be set. I was at an all time high as the year began, just like the majority of fans, and knew this was going to be the year we finally became relevant again. I didn’t believe we were national championship good but we would be setting the stage for contention the next year. I’ve tried to buy the injury narrative and youthful mistakes excuses in order to keep the faith but after the past five weeks I’m done. 

I’m right back where I started. Herman is a blow hard who truly believes he is smarter than everyone else. He makes excuses and tries to coach speak his way around everything. I know he has tried to recant his “we didn’t get out coached” comment but that’s just a feeble attempt to save face. In his “Mensa” mind he sincerely believes he’s doing everything correctly and the players are the problem. This type of mindset, to me, is absolutely unacceptable and the quickest way to ruin any organization. We can change the OC, DC, QB, ect... but we WILL not ever be successful with an immature, ego maniac leading the team. I may not be very smart but I’m not an idiot 100% of the time either. Every year we keep Herman is another year we postpone getting this program turned around. 
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Stop trying to find the best up and coming coach we can pay $5 mill a year to fix this mess and go buy the best coach regardless of the price. The only thing we know we have is money. It’s time to get stupid with it and find out once and for all if it’s truly a coaching issue or as DMAC said a culture issue. If Sweeney, Saban, or Myers can’t be successful here then at least we know we just can’t be successful. I may not like Saban and Myers makes me ill but I’d rather pay them $20 mill a year and possibly win than pay “Richard Cranium” Herman $5 mill for this BS. 

This will be long winded so bear with me.

1. @RickyFlair, You are not a fair weather fan. I feel the same way and I have been a loyal fan since I was 6 years old. My first memory of Texas football was listening to the radio with my dad as Chris Gilbert ravaged defenses. Nine years of bad to mediocre football tends to turn people off or make them apathetic.

2. After the Charlie Strong debacle, I was excited about Herman's hire. Then all the Mensa stuff came out and I saw the lack of personality that accompanies Mensa card holders (I have worked with 2 "geniuses" and had bad experiences with both). I pushed away my concerns figuring it was probable bias on my part. The first two years that worked for me as we were still rebuilding. This year Herman has been arrogant at press conferences when he is cornered or doesn't like the question. He isn't Saban, he hasn't earned that right.

3. Concerning the internal dissension that has been reported, and this is only my opinion. When a coaching staff or any business leadership is heavy handed the underlings tend to rebel. I say this because of all the alignment required by players and coaches. The 1-0 mantra that doesn't allow anything other than total focus on the next opponent. The piss chart. Constant criticism even when doing something positive. Case in point, on "Rewind" Herman criticized Ingram for reaching out for the pylon with ball while scoring a touchdown. The first point he made was that Ingram would be talked to because of poor ball security. 

4. How many damn points (and wins) has that freakin binder cost us?

5. CDC needs to let Herman know he isn't BMOC. Complete autonomy isn't his anymore.