Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

*****GAME THREAD - Texas Longhorns @ Iowa State Cyclones*****

Okay, I'm as big of Herman supporter as you will find. But he's full of shit if he doesn't think he got out-coached. We have to have one of the dumbest teams I've ever seen.

I'm not for firing Tom, but if he doesn't make some coaching changes, I don't know if he can ever get us where we should be. He needs to bring in a much better DC and and an innovative, creative OC. And I would probably replace 2-3 of the other assistant coaches. 

21 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

Herman is not fooling anyone but himself..he is not a great coach he is a fruad . His staff is a joke. His players are lacking serious basic fundamentals tackling,blocking, coverage in the secondary etc. Baylor looks like they are now the top program in the B12. Why is that? The coaches are just much better than herman and his staff so I would say that yes herman was out coached again! Meanwhile baylor is curb stomping ou with2-3 star recruits but they are coached up..matt ruhle is a real coach

2 minutes ago, The Tinman said:

Herman is not fooling anyone but himself..he is not a great coach he is a fruad . His staff is a joke. His players are lacking serious basic fundamentals tackling,blocking, coverage in the secondary etc. Baylor looks like they are now the top program in the B12. Why is that? The coaches are just much better than herman and his staff so I would say that yes herman was out coached again! Meanwhile baylor is curb stomping ou with2-3 star recruits but they are coached up..matt ruhle is a real coach

I’m jealous. 

Captain Obvious here, but some young coaches learn from their mistakes and deficiencies, fix the problems and grow into better coaches. Some young coaches think they're doing a great job, do nothing, fail and get fired. I'm afraid Herman is in this 2nd group.

20 minutes ago, secsux said:

Captain Obvious here, but some young coaches learn from their mistakes and deficiencies, fix the problems and grow into better coaches. Some young coaches think they're doing a great job, do nothing, fail and get fired. I'm afraid Herman is in this 2nd group.

I think we're going to find out which group Herman is in. Both coordinators need to go as well as 3-4 other assistant coaches. If he does nothing, next year will not meet expectations either.

We've analyzed this animal to death.  The truth of the matter is this, we have a poorly coached team.  Texas isn't firing Herman after this season but Herman will probably be told to make changes on his staff.  My experience is that this is just a "pre-firing."  It buys a coach 1 or 2 years.   I can't say it never works but it is the extreme exception.  

College football is all about your head coach.  The product on the field is the head coaches product.  Tom Herman was a genius Coordinator..... when he was a coordinator under Urban Meyer.  Charlie Strong was a genius coordinator.... under Meyer.  The point?  It was Urban Meyer.  

So we will see a one or two coordinators fired.  We will get excited as we look at the coordinator's work under other head coaches.  But the bottom line is that a new coordinator is just a pretty ornament hung on a tree that is being chopped down. 

7 hours ago, Drb522 said:

You reckon Sam still thinks they’re back?

I love Sam... and I don’t know why (though I could guess) but he has regressed.  He even looks tentative out there now.  

Pre-game they said ISU had an advantage at QB.  Pre-season Sam was on a list of Heisman hopefuls.  We have been outplayed at that position in every one of our losses... even though Sam played great in the LSU game.  

I played DB in the day (subtle brag).  And though it was a few moons ago I think I have enough knowledge to make this observation:

Our offense is a DB dream to play against.  There are 2 things a DB hates:

1) Motion.  It makes you re-think your assignment and can actually slow down reaction or confuse at the snap.  

2) Hurry up.  Hurry up has the same effect.  You don’t have time to get your responsibility straight pre-snap... that and you can’t catch your breath.  

That said... our O doesn't huddle (no one does any more), but they stand there usually until the play clock is under 5.  The QB points at people and does a few fake claps... but you have about 30 seconds to review your assignment in any way the play may develop!  Heck, we even line up the exact same way and there is almost NEVER a semblance of pre-snap motion!

put me in coach, I’m ready to play... today.  

Herman firing staff will not help.Just shuffles the deck chairs on the Titanic. He is not HC material. He has had his 3 seasons and is a FAIL. Keeping him will only delay his inevitable departure as UT remains a program wallowing in mediocrity. I'm done with this guy. ............"At least there is love on the team" 

53 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

Herman firing staff will not help.Just shuffles the deck chairs on the Titanic. He is not HC material. He has had his 3 seasons and is a FAIL. Keeping him will only delay his inevitable departure as UT remains a program wallowing in mediocrity. I'm done with this guy. ............"At least there is love on the team" 

D6CE5083-67D7-47BC-A03A-D2450C9496B2.thumb.jpeg.1878f4e3b8929cfbe6720c4aa4d1e1e3.jpeg

Herman has to go and Texas just like USC, Florida State, Auburn,  and probably South Carolina all have to hire a new head coach and staff. I just do not know who that super coach is other than Urban but I do not think he is ready to dive back in to the water right now. Another college that will be hiring is Arkansas as they are done with Morris.

I have followed UT football since DKR. UT has had six coaches before Herman. Three I consider successful which are DKR, Fred Akers, and Mack Brown. Fred Akers did not win a NC, but he was two wins short of winning two NC. (Notre Dame and Georgia). We have had three unsuccessful coaches in David McWilliams, John Mackovic, and Charlie Strong.

Here are the record of past UT coaches after three years

Successful coaches

DKR                          22-9-1 70%

Fred Akers             29-7      80%

Mack Brown          27-11    71%

Unsuccessful

David McWilliams  16-18   47%

John Mackovic        19-14-1 57%

Charlie Strong         16-21   43%

If UT loses the last two games against Baylor and Texas Tech then Herman three year record will be 23-16 which is a 58% winning percentage which places Herman along with Mackovic.

12 hours ago, joeywa said:

He just blew a 25-pt lead. No thanks. 

Well at least he had a 25 point lead fdid Herman ever lead by this much.

IMO Matt can ourcoach Tom six days a week and twice on Sundays

12 hours ago, joeywa said:

He just blew a 25-pt lead. No thanks.