Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

Staff Predictions: Iowa State

USATSI_11258509_168380999_lowres.jpg

The #22 Texas Longhorns (6-3, 4-2) will suit up in their icy white uniforms on Saturday in Ames in hopes of dealing the Iowa State Cyclones (5-4, 3-3) their fourth straight loss in the series. Texas rallied from a 14-point deficit at home to K-State last weekend to pull of their first win over a ranked opponent, while the Cyclones lost a close one to Oklahoma in Norman. Matt Campbell’s team looks to become bowl eligible by defeating the Longhorns, who with a win, still have hope for an appearance in the Big 12 title game next month.  Will a ranked Texas team pull off the upset win over a formidable, well-coached Iowa State team? Our staff weighs in on Saturday’s contest.

Aaron Carrara

Despite four losses, the Cyclones are a good football team.  Playing on the road, in cold weather, are factors that aren’t in Texas’ favor. I know the defense turned it around after giving up 14 quick points to Kansas State, but they haven’t demonstrated any consistency all year. With Collin Johnson likely out, I think Texas finds success in the passing game to be more challenging.  Iowa State is good against the run, and the Longhorns will have their work cut out.  If a Texas can get creative with Jake Smith and the run-pass option, they have a chance to pull off the upset in Ames.  I think this is a close game in the end with the Cyclones snapping a 3-game skid to the Horns.

Prediction:  Iowa State 34, Texas 31

Nick Harris

Texas will make one of the more daunting Big 12 road trips up north to Ames in a game that means a ton for how this program will finish in 2019. With conference title hopes somehow still alive, I believe the Texas defense can build on a good performance last week with another solid one in Iowa on Saturday. However, if Brock Purdy gets going early against the Texas secondary, it could be a long flight back for this Longhorn team.

Prediction:  Texas 38 Iowa State 32

Jameson McCausland

Texas faces a tough test in Ames Saturday afternoon. The Cyclones record is 5-4, but they could easily have 1 or 2 losses if a few breaks fall their way. Brocky Purdy has continued to improve following his breakout freshman season and Breece Hall has emerged at running back over the past few games. For Texas, they will have to find a way to slow down Purdy and take care of the football on offense. As has become the case with almost all Texas games lately, it will likely come down to a possession late in the 4th quarter, and I believe that favors Texas. I will take the Longhorns with Cameron Dicker nailing another kick as time expires.

Prediction:  Texas 31 Iowa State 28

TFloss32

Texas showed a lot of grit last week in a hard-fought, albeit sloppy, victory against K-State. They were in a must-win situation and didn’t roll over when things were looking incredibly bleak down 14-0 in the first quarter. That step in the right direction should give them a confidence boost as they head to Ames. The next big test on the docket is showing they can put forth a solid effort on the road from the first whistle, something they haven’t been able to do this year and what has been a persistent issue under Herman. And with Collin Johnson out due to a hamstring injury, it will be difficult for Texas to pass their way out of any early deficit making it imperative that a run game is established. This is a winnable game, but I’m fading Texas on the road until it’s proven they can lock in away from DKR, clean up silly mistakes and make adjustments early when necessary. 

Prediction:  Texas 38 Iowa State 30

Horns 34

Cyclones 27

"Texas is 19-1 under Tom Herman when outgaining its opponent and 18-2 when outrushing its opponent."

Here's hoping the OL is effective, so Ingram romps again, opening up the RPO. If true, i think Duvernay has a BIG day helping Horns move to 7-3.

I believe a big part of winning last week against Kansas State was the UT running game. Ingram and Johnson combined for 21 carries for 176 yards. That help keep the UT defense off the field and takes pressure off Sam.

If UT can run against Iowa State then that will help with a road game that will be played in 30 degree weather.

I agree with primal defense about the importance of the running game and keeping Iowa State off of the field. Duvernay and Eagles need to show their eliteness. Horns, take it to them:

Horns    42

Iowa State 17

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

I believe a big part of winning last week against Kansas State was the UT running game. Ingram and Johnson combined for 21 carries for 176 yards. That help keep the UT defense off the field and takes pressure off Sam.

If UT can run against Iowa State then that will help with a road game that will be played in 30 degree weather.

Horns OL needs to show up big time and the D needs to get off to a fast start.

28 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You're so going to hell for that lol

That prediction probably won't make much of a destination change.   😁.  Seriously I just haven't seen enough from our Horns (except the LSU game) for me to get much hope for beating ISU. That team is scary.

38 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

That prediction probably won't make much of a destination change.   😁.  Seriously I just haven't seen enough from our Horns (except the LSU game) for me to get much hope for beating ISU. That team is scary.

LOL, we're all going to hell. I understand where you are coming from. Until I see Texas dominate an opponent I will always have my doubts.