Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Bogey

Texas Volleyball is Fantastic!

Starting this topic to show some love for the high flyin’ Horns volleyball team.

The ladies are kickin’ butt and takin’ names. They play great defense and top notch offense. This year serving has also become a strength.

The Horns recently bested then #1 Baylor at home in straight sets in a dominating performance to take the #1 spot.

BD1000A7-0E6C-478A-AE4F-2DE0F6010C0C.jpeg

Volleyball is a fun sport to watch and it's a lot harder to play than it appears. The Texas at Baylor game coming up will be huge!

Texas will bring the majority of the team back next year with the biggest lost being M White. Be that said, they have a lot of amazing talent coming back and I'm sure Jerritt will bring in some great recruits.

The ladies lost last night in Waco to Baylor 2-3. They dropped the first 2 sets then rallied to win the next 2 forcing a 5th set. 

They are still tied for 1st in the BIG XII and should stay in the top 4 nationally which in volleyball is key.

3 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

They are still tied for 1st in the BIG XII and should stay in the top 4 nationally which in volleyball is key.

I hope you're right, but I suspect the committe won't give two of the 4 top seeds to schools in the Big 12. One will probably get snubbed. The next poll will be telling.  I'm afraid that Rice loss is going to bite us. Hoping we can win our last two and Baylor takes a loss in one of their last 3 to keep us in the top 4.

7 hours ago, secsux said:

I hope you're right, but I suspect the committe won't give two of the 4 top seeds to schools in the Big 12. One will probably get snubbed. The next poll will be telling.  I'm afraid that Rice loss is going to bite us. Hoping we can win our last two and Baylor takes a loss in one of their last 3 to keep us in the top 4.

Going to be hard for the committee to overlook that both Texas and Baylor, if they both win out, will have very high SOS/RPI.

Texas has lost 3 games, all on the road and to ranked teams (#3, #4 & #21) by the score of 2-3. Their wins include #3 Baylor (3-0), #7 Minn (3-0) and #13 BYU (3-1). They also have beaten aggy (3-0) and USC (3-1), both who are sitting between #26 & #30.

I'm hopeful but I don't think the final tournament seedings over the past few years has shown much love from the committe to the Big 12. If both Baylor and Texas win out, I think only 1 will get the cushy top 4 seed, the other a 5. 

11 hours ago, secsux said:

I'm hopeful but I don't think the final tournament seedings over the past few years has shown much love from the committe to the Big 12. If both Baylor and Texas win out, I think only 1 will get the cushy top 4 seed, the other a 5. 

If your scenario plays out, it will be Texas at #5. So nothing personal but I hope you're wrong.

I'd love to be wrong. We'll know Monday or whenever the new poll comes out.  I think Pitt, Baylor, and Stanford all jump us, probably Nebraska if they beat Minnesota tonight and Wisconsin Sunday, both on the road.  

After stumbling in the first set, Texas came back to beat Kansas last night 3-1. The announcers were talking about seeding and they felt that both Texas and Baylor will be top 4 seeds if they win out based on SOS and RPI. The ladies have a tough road game vs Iowa St this week so we'll see after that.

If you are in the least bit interested in seeing an amazingly great volleyball match, play the following video and read no further.

UCSB gave the Horns a really good match, going up 2-1 in convincing fashion to close the 3rd set. Then the ladies in burnt orange and white played as big as Texas in the 4th bringing Gregory gym to a smokin’ hot fever pitch to send the match to a 5th set.

Playing even to the midway point at 7-7 in the final set, the Horns closed out the match out-scoring UCSB 8-3 for the win.

This was not the most convincing win of the season, but in my opinion, it was the most gutsy performance by this young team. A true show of intestinal  fortitude to pull themselves together and assert their will.

On to the regionals with Louisville up next Friday here in Austin.

Shout-out out to Coach Elliott as well. Subbing Autumn Rounsaville for Peterson took some guts. It was nearly as out of the blue as when Augie inserted Chris Carmichael in the championship game of the CWS against South Carolina.