Find results in...

Official HornSports “Let’s Talk Booze” thread

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the next one I'm going to try.  Have tasted the Balcones (loved it) and the 1835 (take it or leave it), saving the Garrison Brothers for awhile.  After tasting the Balcones, I'm going to keep t

I have to let ya'll in on a hell of a bargain that may not stay that way.....Has anyone tried the Aberfeldy 12 yr old single malt? It is very goos in my opinion and it sells at Specs and Total Wine fo

I drink beer. When I occasionally drink hard liquor it’s Johnny Walker Black ,a double on the rocks with a lime twist.But a side story. My grandfather was born in 1899 and grew up obviously durin

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 8:52 AM, utparothed said:

This could be interesting...

Could be interesting but it's not.  Shiner makes good beer and Balcones makes good bourbon but, to paraphrase Kipling, never the twain should meet.  I'm not sure how to describe it but the taste is kind of muddled if that makes any sense, there's not really any kind of flavor profile to it and the aftertaste is pretty bitter.  This one could use a couple more years in the barrel...

I tried to make and old fashioned with it after deciding that I wasn't going to be drinking it straight up and ended up tossing it down the sink.  I haven't mixed bourbon with soda in a long time but am going to try it with cream soda to see if that'll work...

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle of Whistle Pig’s latest item, Piggy Back. It’s a 100% rye, 6 yr, and is WP’s entry into the mid-tier price point. At $59 it is a good value. Drinks nice. Still a bit heavy on the oak notes and doesn’t drink as good as some younger ryes. 
I have made some Old Fashioneds from it and it is stellar in that presentation. May be worth having this on your bar for a good OF mixer. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve gotten into the Karbach Blood Orange beer the past couple of weeks.  It’s crazy refreshing while sitting by the pool.  I keep trying to convince the beer manager at Total Wine to carry Stiegl Lemon, Bitburger lemon or Calanda Lemon (this one is unlikely because it’s a Swiss beer and for some reason no one imports Swiss wine or beer).

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Dal_Horn said:

I’ve gotten into the Karbach Blood Orange beer the past couple of weeks.  It’s crazy refreshing while sitting by the pool.  I keep trying to convince the beer manager at Total Wine to carry Stiegl Lemon, Bitburger lemon or Calanda Lemon (this one is unlikely because it’s a Swiss beer and for some reason no one imports Swiss wine or beer).

Saw the blood orange it at the store yesterday and thought about trying it.  Austin Beerworks has a good blood orange IPA that is good too. 

3 hours ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Balcones spans the gamut in terms of type/price points.  What do you guys suggest? Looking to buy some for Father's Day.

Since Balcones changed their master distiller several years back, the product has not been as good IMO.  The Blue is a good bourbon but I think you could find better product for the price.  New resident bourbon members can chime in, @Mico @Hook ‘em Danno @TexasMcBizzle @BigDCuernolargo @Rookie97 @scary jarbro @Utsam44

Just don't let McBizzle try to get you into Garrison.  ;)

52 minutes ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Saw the blood orange it at the store yesterday and thought about trying it.  Austin Beerworks has a good blood orange IPA that is good too. 

The same crew mentioned above has some experience in hazies and they're not short on opinions.  @Utsam44

5 hours ago, joeywa said:

Since Balcones changed their master distiller several years back, the product has not been as good IMO.  The Blue is a good bourbon but I think you could find better product for the price.  New resident bourbon members can chime in, @Mico @Hook ‘em Danno @TexasMcBizzle @BigDCuernolargo @Rookie97 @scary jarbro @Utsam44

Just don't let McBizzle try to get you into Garrison.  ;)

I don’t really have experience with Balcones. My guess is to ask one of the other guys listed who tater over MGP; they probably have better idea.

7 hours ago, joeywa said:

The Hazy Boys have spoke well about Electric Jellyfish.  @TexasMcBizzle @scary jarbro

umm its hazy bois brah, i understand as a Canadian you might not know that. juicy neipas would also suffice.

so Electric jellyfish is what i'd call a great entry level hazy. sadly Texas has been a wasteland for hazies until recently. Pinthouse was one of few places that made anything worth drinking. Total Wine has 75 beers on the shelf labled "hazy" something but 99% are weak.

if you want a true hazy experience you primarily have to buy direct from a brewery and that means place like Pinthouse Pizza, Turning Point in DFW, Celestial in Dallas, or Spindletap in Houston. They are the Texas standards in tropical haze.

outside of texas if you travel or have shipping access you can get a little better with breweries like Hop Butcher, Saint errant, Phase 3, Treehouse, Trillium or Weldwerks.

Top hazy examples for my palate are: Diamonds in my Mouth, DDH juicy bits, JJuliusss, Azor Ahai, Energy Void, Fog Runner or Andromeda.

My hazy preference as i've ultimately taught @Rookie97 and @Hook ‘em Danno is one of ultimate hazy AF clarity, you cant see through it and its almost pulpy and orange. its gotta be packed with tropical flavors like passionfruit, guava, citrus, grapefruit etc, it needs to have a smooth finish with no or almost no bitter hopburn at end, and they are usually around 8-10% ABV.

22 hours ago, Aaron Carrara said:

Balcones spans the gamut in terms of type/price points.  What do you guys suggest? Looking to buy some for Father's Day.

The single malt's pretty good but it's $65 or so a bottle and there's better bourbon out there for the price.  I like the Baby Blue and their Rye but they wouldn't be my first choice.  I think I'd spend $65 on Booker's before I did the Balcones. 

The Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond and 1920 Prohibition Style are cheaper than the Balcones Single Malt and, IMO, much better bourbons. 

On 6/18/2020 at 7:26 AM, utparothed said:

The single malt's pretty good but it's $65 or so a bottle and there's better bourbon out there for the price.  I like the Baby Blue and their Rye but they wouldn't be my first choice.  I think I'd spend $65 on Booker's before I did the Balcones. 

The Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond and 1920 Prohibition Style are cheaper than the Balcones Single Malt and, IMO, much better bourbons. 

Good assessment. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 12:17 PM, utparothed said:

I tried this over the weekend and it's pretty damn good!  I think Ironroot might be the best distillery in Texas right now.  This one's 103 proof and is very smooth, kind of reminds me of Booker's a bit.  It's $40 to $45 depending on where you pick it up.

https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/x490,sq/media/sys_master/twmmedia/hbe/h95/12247180312606.png

Want to get the Harbinger but cant find it.  Almost got the Prometheus, so glad to know it's good too.  Next purchase 

On 6/22/2020 at 12:17 PM, utparothed said:

I tried this over the weekend and it's pretty damn good!  I think Ironroot might be the best distillery in Texas right now.  This one's 103 proof and is very smooth, kind of reminds me of Booker's a bit.  It's $40 to $45 depending on where you pick it up.

https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/x490,sq/media/sys_master/twmmedia/hbe/h95/12247180312606.png

Want to get the Harbinger but cant find it.  Almost got the Prometheus, so glad to know it's good too.  Next purchase 

I have to let ya'll in on a hell of a bargain that may not stay that way.....Has anyone tried the Aberfeldy 12 yr old single malt? It is very goos in my opinion and it sells at Specs and Total Wine for $36.00....unbelievable. I doubt that price will last. 

It comes from Dewers which up to now has been a blended scotch, but is starting to release some of their barrels of single malts, and this is one of them.You can if you want opt for the 15 or 21 year old, but that gets pricey. Dont take my word for it....google Aberfeldy 12 the last great malts review...

Ya'll can thank me later.