Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
joeywa

Official HornSports “Let’s Talk Booze” thread

On 5/5/2020 at 8:52 AM, utparothed said:

This could be interesting...

Could be interesting but it's not.  Shiner makes good beer and Balcones makes good bourbon but, to paraphrase Kipling, never the twain should meet.  I'm not sure how to describe it but the taste is kind of muddled if that makes any sense, there's not really any kind of flavor profile to it and the aftertaste is pretty bitter.  This one could use a couple more years in the barrel...

I tried to make and old fashioned with it after deciding that I wasn't going to be drinking it straight up and ended up tossing it down the sink.  I haven't mixed bourbon with soda in a long time but am going to try it with cream soda to see if that'll work...

Picked up a bottle of Whistle Pig’s latest item, Piggy Back. It’s a 100% rye, 6 yr, and is WP’s entry into the mid-tier price point. At $59 it is a good value. Drinks nice. Still a bit heavy on the oak notes and doesn’t drink as good as some younger ryes. 
I have made some Old Fashioneds from it and it is stellar in that presentation. May be worth having this on your bar for a good OF mixer.