Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
joeywa

Official HornSports “Let’s Talk Booze” thread

13 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Talking about good beer, anyone remember Texas Pride, Buckhorn or Pearl? Yea, good times.

beer_drinking.gif

In my days at UT we would hit the Black Cat Lounge on 6th to listen to Banana Blender Surprise, eat free boiled hot dogs and drink $1 Pearl Lights, PBR or Mickey's hand grenades.  Can't beat it.

4 hours ago, utparothed said:

My boys are year-round swimmers at Dad's Club here in Houston, last night was our annual swim marathon and raffle.  I put in 10 $5 tickets for one basket in particular and won, here's my prize...

Oldhorn...the Balcones Single Malt is the only one I opened up last night and it is very, very good!!

IMG-2332.jpg

Nice pull for $50!

5 hours ago, utparothed said:

My boys are year-round swimmers at Dad's Club here in Houston, last night was our annual swim marathon and raffle.  I put in 10 $5 tickets for one basket in particular and won, here's my prize...

Oldhorn...the Balcones Single Malt is the only one I opened up last night and it is very, very good!!

IMG-2332.jpg

My son in law loves TX

On 11/6/2019 at 6:54 PM, oldhorn2 said:

anyone had any Balconies out of Waco?...They started with a single malt that won every award worldwide. They make a bourbon as well and then some stuff that might defy labeling. Pretty pricey.

I second that Red Breast recommendation and the Middleton rare...wow!...unbelievable, but at $250.oo a fifth, a bit pricey.

Yes, big fan of Balcones.  Ben Milam as well.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:26 PM, drgilbert said:

My son in law loves TX

That's the next one I'm going to try.  Have tasted the Balcones (loved it) and the 1835 (take it or leave it), saving the Garrison Brothers for awhile.  After tasting the Balcones, I'm going to keep that one to myself and for my bourbon-snob friends...it's too good to end up in someone's Coke.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, Earl Nobis Jefferson said:

Current selections for now.  Will try some of the suggestions from this thread!

20191107_233201.jpg

How's Devils River?  I've seen billboards all over Houston advertising it but haven't tried it.  The only rye that I buy is Sazerac because it makes great Sazeracs...

On 12/23/2019 at 7:57 AM, utparothed said:

How's Devils River?  I've seen billboards all over Houston advertising it but haven't tried it.  The only rye that I buy is Sazerac because it makes great Sazeracs...

I like using it in old fashioned, very smooth. However I have also started using a Basel Haden Dark Rye and it's really good in that old fashion too.  

I always ask this question of power drinkers - why do you drink flavored alcohol?  It surely can't be for the taste (Scotch tastes like I imagine iodine would taste).

So I can only assume one drinks to either get drunk or get a buzz on.

Why?

P.S: don't get me wrong, I like a cold beer now and them, but my preference is diet Dr. Pepper.

6 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Didn’t know where to put this but choose the boozer thread to be a wise guy.  Anybody click on the “date single moms” advertisement that keeps appearing on my phone viewing of Hornsports?  I figured maybe after a few too many bourbons maybe someone here had checked it out 😆

Did it work?

On 12/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, doc longhorn said:

I always ask this question of power drinkers - why do you drink flavored alcohol?  It surely can't be for the taste (Scotch tastes like I imagine iodine would taste).

So I can only assume one drinks to either get drunk or get a buzz on.

Why?

P.S: don't get me wrong, I like a cold beer now and them, but my preference is diet Dr. Pepper.

I'm just like you. Some wines taste good enough to drink them on taste alone. But thats about it. Scotch is awful. lol

IMO, people are just wired differently. What tastes good to you or me probably isn't a big deal to them.

Which brings my next question . . . if you're talking about a bad taste or lack of taste, why in the hell are you drinking Diet Dr Pepper? lol I drink mostly water and sweet tea, but enjoy a cold bottle of Coke now and then, and on rare occasion, an ice cold shiner bock.

Back in the day, 3 for 1 Long Island Iced teas.  Can't remember the name of the place we used to go to; been too long.

I really like the Tatonka Stout at BJs Brewery.

On 11/6/2019 at 6:54 PM, oldhorn2 said:

anyone had any Balconies out of Waco?...They started with a single malt that won every award worldwide. They make a bourbon as well and then some stuff that might defy labeling. Pretty pricey.

I second that Red Breast recommendation and the Middleton rare...wow!...unbelievable, but at $250.oo a fifth, a bit pricey.

I've tried it, it's very nice.

I am a bourbon guy though I've been known to sip a Sapphire and Tonic from time to time.

If I'm mixing, it's Crown and Diet Coke (sue me I like the taste better)

But mostly I like the small batches with just one ice cube or whiskey stone.

Buffalo Trace

Bluiett

Angel Envy

A new favorite I have discovered, Jefferson's Ocean

Also, the white labeled TX makes for an excellent after dinner sip.

And i can vouch for JoeyWa's collection, had fun sampling one night.