Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Official HornSports “Let’s Talk Booze” thread

Ok HS members, lets talk booze. 

It has come to my attention that we should have an active discussion about various preference on booze. 

I’ll start. I’m a bourbon guy. (As is @Donald J Boyles). I have a pretty solid collection. Just cracked the seal on the George T Stagg 2017 the other night. Very very good bourbon. I’ve also been drinking a 14 yr “lost” barrel of Heaven Hill called Angry Eyes. 

So tell us, whatcha got and what is your go-to?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the next one I'm going to try.  Have tasted the Balcones (loved it) and the 1835 (take it or leave it), saving the Garrison Brothers for awhile.  After tasting the Balcones, I'm going to keep t

I have to let ya'll in on a hell of a bargain that may not stay that way.....Has anyone tried the Aberfeldy 12 yr old single malt? It is very goos in my opinion and it sells at Specs and Total Wine fo

I drink beer. When I occasionally drink hard liquor it’s Johnny Walker Black ,a double on the rocks with a lime twist.But a side story. My grandfather was born in 1899 and grew up obviously durin

Posted Images

I’ve become a bit of a bourbon snob and while it’s really nice to drink some of the finer bourbons, living here I don’t get the opportunity to purchase them for decent prices. So it’s a rather expensive “hobby”. 

I am planning on a trip to Kentucky to the Bourbon Trail in the spring. 

Buffalo Trace is my go to for the most part, I'm a fan of most of the bourbons that come out of the Buffalo Trace distillery.  I've also started mixing in Old Forester on occasion as an any occasion bourbon. 

The bourbon's that I have right now that are reserved for me and any other bourbon snob who visits are E.H. Taylor and Old Forester 1920.  I'd love to have a bottle of Stagg, Eagle Rare 17 year or Pappy's in the collection but a) they're out of my bourbon budget right now and b) they're not the easiest to find.  I have a buddy who's wife bought him a bottle of Pappy's 15-year as an anniversary present...she called all over the country and finally found one at a liquor store across the street from Wall Street.   He's pretty good gift giver and I'm positive that he thought that his gift for her was going to top anything she got him...I wish I'd seen his face.  It's very good stuff...best bourbon I've tasted.

If you're looking for a good old fashioned recipe try this one...Julian Van Winkle's Old Fashioned Cocktail 

5 hours ago, utparothed said:

Buffalo Trace is my go to for the most part, I'm a fan of most of the bourbons that come out of the Buffalo Trace distillery.  I've also started mixing in Old Forester on occasion as an any occasion bourbon. 

The bourbon's that I have right now that are reserved for me and any other bourbon snob who visits are E.H. Taylor and Old Forester 1920.  I'd love to have a bottle of Stagg, Eagle Rare 17 year or Pappy's in the collection but a) they're out of my bourbon budget right now and b) they're not the easiest to find.  I have a buddy who's wife bought him a bottle of Pappy's 15-year as an anniversary present...she called all over the country and finally found one at a liquor store across the street from Wall Street.   He's pretty good gift giver and I'm positive that he thought that his gift for her was going to top anything she got him...I wish I'd seen his face.  It's very good stuff...best bourbon I've tasted.

If you're looking for a good old fashioned recipe try this one...Julian Van Winkle's Old Fashioned Cocktail 

I'm a fan of Buffalo Trace as well. Good stuff!

I drink beer. When I occasionally drink hard liquor it’s Johnny Walker Black ,a double on the rocks with a lime twist.But a side story.

My grandfather was born in 1899 and grew up obviously during the depression and prohibition. During prohibition he had a still in deep East Texas. Sold the stuff(white lightning, moonshine) on second Ave. in Dallas. After prohibition he continued to sell it because of course it was tax-free. No ‘guvment‘ men involved. :-

In 1934 he shut down the still except for home use which was legal and opened a small store in Henderson County that was occasionally frequented by Bonnie and Clyde. In 1941, his son, my uncle came home from the army after tearing up a knee during army basic training. He decided he wanted some booze so he went out back and fired up the still. He forgot to open the stopcock and the damn thing blew up. I’m told the explosion was heard all over the Trinity River bottom.

Bourbon Whiskey

• Knob Creek Single Barrel
  • Old Rip Van Winkle 12 yr old Lot B:  Table 13 in Addison has it on the top shelf (special occasion)
  • Weller 12 yr old / Weller 107
    • Very hard to find
    • Found in Mcalester, OK (pricey - but not as pricey as a bottle of the Old Rip Van Winkle 12 yr old)
    • Mixed 60 / 40 is an approximation of the Old Rip Van Winkle 12 yr old Lot B (Poor man's Pappy)

Irish Whiskey

• Tullamore Dew 15 yr old Trilogy Blended
  • Redbreast 15 yr old Single Pot Still

Scotch Whisky

• The Macallen 12 yr old Triple Cask (current go to)
  • Glenmorangie 18 yr old
  • The Glenlivet 15 yr French Oak
  • ALL single malt Highland or Speyside Scotch whisky

All of the above drank over a large ice ball.  Slante'!!!