Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****TEXAS vs. KANSAS GAME THREAD*****

1 hour ago, HORNfromETX said:

Screenshot_20191019-230503.png

We have played seven games and these same issues have been there all year. I assume if it could all be fixed it would be by now or at least shown some improvement. 
I don’t doubt things could. be fixed but I do doubt this staffs ability to fix them. 

5 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

We have played seven games and these same issues have been there all year. I assume if it could all be fixed it would be by now or at least shown some improvement. 
I don’t doubt things could. be fixed but I do doubt this staffs ability to fix them. 

The blue print is out there... get to the edge and nobody engages for at least 10 yards.  

7 hours ago, HORNfromETX said:

Screenshot_20191019-230503.png

If you’re a blue blood school, you ought to line up and whip your opponent with superior athletes.  Our defense is all about deception and fooling the QB.  It is tailor made for a mid-major that cant compete athlete for athlete.  Well, from my vantage point it looks like we end up fooling ourselves.  There is no reason, ever, for someone to be so wide open that the nearest defender isn’t in the TV screen... well, other than someone simply doesn’t know where to be.  Too much thinking required rather than 11 men flying to the ball.  

Robinson came in mid-season and fixed the Manny Diaz mess by simplifying and telling our athletes to fly to the ball.  It took him 2 weeks!

One last thought and I’ll hang up and listen.... why are we trying to reinvent the wheel on defense?  I looked up at one point and saw 2 down linemen on the field.  What beats the spread is pressure on the QB.  Didn’t we learn this with the “unstoppable” run and shoot at Cougar High?  I don’t care how many DBs you can run out there you need a presence on the LOS.  

42 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

If you’re a blue blood school, you ought to line up and whip your opponent with superior athletes.  Our defense is all about deception and fooling the QB.  It is tailor made for a mid-major that cant compete athlete for athlete.  Well, from my vantage point it looks like we end up fooling ourselves.  There is no reason, ever, for someone to be so wide open that the nearest defender isn’t in the TV screen... well, other than someone simply doesn’t know where to be.  Too much thinking required rather than 11 men flying to the ball.  

Robinson came in mid-season and fixed the Manny Diaz mess by simplifying and telling our athletes to fly to the ball.  It took him 2 weeks!

One last thought and I’ll hang up and listen.... why are we trying to reinvent the wheel on defense?  I looked up at one point and saw 2 down linemen on the field.  What beats the spread is pressure on the QB.  Didn’t we learn this with the “unstoppable” run and shoot at Cougar High?  I don’t care how many DBs you can run out there you need a presence on the LOS.  

Agree with all of your points. I have never been so upset over a football game as I was last night. It was Kansas and UT should have destroyed them. Game should have been over in the first quarter, but instead the Horns looked lost and uncoached. I don't care how many players were out with injuries, no elite school should look like this. Herman's 3rd year is less than inspiring.

First thanks to LHN I did not see this fiasco. Did watch watch various  games  thru out the week. Majority of teams ran a three man front. However switched to four man to pressure QB and used a LB to spy him.. In a,, games I watchrd pressure on QB stopped drives. If Texas staff can not see this someone needs to go. Williams running wild was no suprise to me but game resulis and score was however.

The momentum killer for me was the offensive drive at the end of the first qtr. Up 14-3 when we get the ball then proceed to have a sack, dropped pass by Epps, and horrific play call of 4th and 2. While I believe the offense should have been able to pick up the first and impose their will, I have no idea why you give the ball to Smith with all of the better options available. I agree with being aggressive but if you fail to pick up the first (as we did), you give an inferior opponent life and momentum. Not to mention a short field to an offense that had just marched the length of the field. In my opinion, you play the percentages in that situation and force them to play on the longer field. I also believe that punting there sends a better message to the defense that the head coach believes in them and their ability to make a play. Just my two cents.

I was at the game last night and by the time I got home wasn't in the mood to read or post on this thread. So I have some questions for those who watched it and some comments.

On the Smith fumble, it appeared on the big screen at DKR that Brewer recovered it. He had both hands on the ball while laying on the ground and the KU defender had 1 hand on the ball and the other behind Brewer's back. Is that what yall saw? Of course the Big XII refs came back with the ol "Play stands as called" which appeared to be pure BS. The crowd was pissed. The refs watched the big screen also BTW.

The ball caught by KU on 4th & 10 late, the WR appeared to not fully have control, thus another "Play stands as called" was made.

Why do we have "Instant Replay" if you're not going to use it?

The Field judge's PI on Cook on the Texas side line was weak. Texas WR were handled far worse with no flag. Maybe he had KU +21?

Where does the Big XII get these officials? Are more needed because the ones on the field are missing a lot. Look at the Florida vs South Carolina game yesterday, another terrible showing by refs.

KU played very well last night and kudos to the LHN for stating such. The KU players out played Texas overall. I complemented several KU fans on the way out.  I'm not off the Herman bandwagon but last night the Mad Hatter out coached him big time. 

The defense is hurting and it shows. In a tight ball game late, Texas had a walk-on player on the field who  just received a ship.

On the zone read, did Sam forget he can keep the ball? It's like the opposing D doesn't even expect him to keep the ball.

Texas won but it was butt ugly. I wasn't a happy camper leaving the stadium last night.

Herman and team has a lot of work to do and soon if they want to reach the conference championship game. They have a lot of work to do if they even want to go to a bowl.

I'm not sure I understand Herman's "it can be fixed" statement.

You're 7 games into the season. Dontcha think if it could be fixed, it would have been fixed by now? Were we unaware until now that we have a problem?

Give KU credit. They saw the OU blueprint and used it. The outside edge was there all day, among other things.

14 hours ago, Baron said:

Luckily we don't play SMU. bailor will bitch slap us.

We will after we lose to baylor, iowa st, kansas st and we win a spot in the J&J pampers bowl against SMU