Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Aaron Carrara

*****TEXAS vs. OKLAHOMA GAME THREAD*****

Texas defense with three down lineman has to be scrapped sooner..there is no pass rush with that scheme...orlando wants more coverage in the secondary and i get that but 1 wr still managed to get open for 170+ yds 10 catches and 3 TD's cmon man...unacceptable

1 minute ago, MikeV73 said:

Except vs Rice.  Hope we can couple our talent with better game plans moving forward.  

I’m watching the post-presser and all I wanna hear is Tom say “I f##ked up. I called a terrible game and it prevented us from winning. I took the chance to win away from this team.” We threw the ball behind the line of scrimmage a TON! What does that say about the coaches?! Really really disappointed in the coaching staff and the positions they are putting the team in. Everything from our special teams being nothing short of atrocious everything single week to bonehead targeting penalties to bj Foster running his mouth then all but staying in Austin for the game. We aren’t even good at the little things... like tackling. 

Just now, Bevostuntdouble said:

I’m watching the post-presser and all I wanna hear is Tom say “I f##ked up. I called a terrible game and it prevented us from winning. I took the chance to win away from this team.” We threw the ball behind the line of scrimmage a TON! What does that say about the coaches?! Really really disappointed in the coaching staff and the positions they are putting the team in. Everything from our special teams being nothing short of atrocious everything single week to bonehead targeting penalties to bj Foster running his mouth then all but staying in Austin for the game. We aren’t even good at the little things... like tackling. 

Agree, coaches need to get fired up pissed off after losses instead of the introspective crap.  Send the message that coaches and players need to get better.

Texas offense was fustrating to watch...sooners were rushing 5-7 guys on defense almost every down..texas had no answer for that. Also texas seemed to want to throw behind the line of scrimmage too much resulting in negative yds. I Couldnt figure out what the gameplan was to stay in front of the chains..9 sacks and no adjustments on offense..roll sam out or do screen passes to avoid the rush.smh

20 minutes ago, The Tinman said:

Texas defense with three down lineman has to be scrapped sooner..there is no pass rush with that scheme...orlando wants more coverage in the secondary and i get that but 1 wr still managed to get open for 170+ yds 10 catches and 3 TD's cmon man...unacceptable

You are 100% correct. The players we are recruiting at DL play best in a 4 man front. The base defense should be a 4-3. 4-2 when necessary.

Could you imagine Coburn and Ojomo in the game along with TQ and Roach?

51 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Is that when all of the practice injuries occur?

I'm not sure, but there is no need to beat up your players on Tuesdays just to "toughen" them up. UT is no more physical than any team they have played this season so it's not working. I don't remember off hand a UT team getting the number of injuries that it has this season.  

14 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Agree, coaches need to get fired up pissed off after losses instead of the introspective crap.  Send the message that coaches and players need to get better.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the game plans each week… I know I have heard plenty about this stupid binder that Herman has that dictates what he is going to do in various situations, and he absolutely refuses to deviate from that binder. The kids did not play a great game but we were wholesale outcoached in every single facet of the game. I am just really glad that we were able to make the final score look much more respectable than the actual game was.

15 minutes ago, The Tinman said:

Texas offense was fustrating to watch...sooners were rushing 5-7 guys on defense almost every down..texas had no answer for that. Also texas seemed to want to throw behind the line of scrimmage too much resulting in negative yds. I Couldnt figure out what the gameplan was to stay in front of the chains..9 sacks and no adjustments on offense..roll sam out or do screen passes to avoid the rush.smh

I am completely bewildered and mystified by our insistence on throwing balls behind the line of scrimmage… Even though we were having absolutely zero success with that. The most frustrating part about Tom Herman is that if feels like he believes he is the smartest person in the stadium at all times and refuses to I just with the game… Instead whatever game plan he showed up with is, by God, going to be the game plan that is executed for the entire 60 minutes regardless how unsuccessful it is.

1 hour ago, texbound said:

Other than some open field tackling, which absolutely should not happen, the defense played well being shorthanded like they are.  The offense played like year 1 under Sam.  Predictable and slow developing.  Hopefully they get another chance against OU later in the year and will have more experience.

This Texas team won't make it to the B12 conf game.

I tell you what, I've endured the late years of Akers, McWilliams, Macovick, the late years of Mack Brown and Charlie Strong. I don't have much of a stomach left for garbage and I don't like the way this is headed. 

Our genius coach can't seem to get across to our kick and punt returners when to field the ball and when not to.  I think 2.5 years ought to be enough for that task?

Our defense is comprised of over 50% DBs a good portion of the time, essentially surrendering the run... but wait, we can't defend the pass either!   Why exactly is it we can't even do so much as choose our poison?

And let's not forget our offense.   I thought Beck was a genius - turning a wild gunslinger into a gritty gamer who doesn't turn the ball over.  Well, now he doesn't turn it over because he doesn't throw it!  He's working on taking a baker's dozen sacs while standing there with deer in the headlight eyes.  Also, we've recruited a bunch of huge linemen who seem to get confused if they look at anything other than a bull rush!   Finally, I'm not sure what Beck saw on film that made him think it would be clever to consistently throw it 45 degrees backward.... but I hope he revisits that wisdom before we play again!!!!

The whole lot of them not only defecated the bed on the biggest stage but seem to be headed toward the pre-Vince Young Mack Brown year's of a consist spank doll for OU and a nice bridesmaid outfit.  

Take your 2nd place trophy MENSA and boast about recruiting victories and consecutive ten win seasons.  But don't expect me to be there and watch!

Very poor job of Coaching on both sides of the ball. We looked lost and unenthused with JV high school play calling. Ingram is turning into a disappointment  for me as a running back as Rosharon has put performed him in every game. Todd Orlando has done a poor job this year and needs to be replaced as he is not getting the job done.

Yikes there is some negativity in here.

After waking up at 3am to watch this game I was ready to go back to bed by about 3:15 but I stayed awake and I thought we fought back well.

Offensively you can't complain we are throwing short too much and then in the same breath complain we are holding the ball and taking sacks. What's the alternative? Throw intermediate?

My knock on the offense was getting away from the run game too early, our olines inability to handle a stunt, Sam not giving Collin enough chances in 1v1 and the WRs not holding onto the ball!! But we still scored 24 points in the second half.

Defensively we got pressure, Hurts just scrambled and killed us. I have 0 idea why we didn't have a spy on him ever.  BJ is clearly injured worse than they have let on he didn't play with anywhere near the same fire he usually does. Our DBs continue to get lost too much in zone coverage, I would love for Orlando to play some more man. 

My biggest gripe is our punt and kick return units are a joke.  Surely on a roster of 100+ we have someone competent to out back there

1 hour ago, Bevostuntdouble said:

I am completely bewildered and mystified by our insistence on throwing balls behind the line of scrimmage… Even though we were having absolutely zero success with that. The most frustrating part about Tom Herman is that if feels like he believes he is the smartest person in the stadium at all times and refuses to I just with the game… Instead whatever game plan he showed up with is, by God, going to be the game plan that is executed for the entire 60 minutes regardless how unsuccessful it is.

That's called hubris. And Tom does suffer from it.

Just curious, is the rib injury the primary reason why Sam seems reluctant to keep the ball on the zone read? Whether injury or by design, it seems like the majority of his runs are either scrambles or short yardage. With limited depth and success in the RBs, he may have to be a bigger part of the run game going forward. Also curious about the status of Ingram going forward. 

Defensively, it seems to me that Overshown would have been the perfect spy for Hurts.